Coffeehouse Thread

30 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Zune or IPod

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    cmanciero

Hi,

I have a bit of a problem, I don't know what to get a Zune or an IPod. Wondering if any other niners out there have or had the same problem and what solution they chose and why.

I know the specs for the Zune and the IPod and I know what each can do that the other can't, I am looking more for a user's standpoint on them to see which one people are happier with.

• User profile image
    Ian

Damn!, I know i sound like a Microsofty pretending to be open to Apple and yes, the Mac mini makes a great Media Centre machine with boot camp and Vista installed it syncs up to my Zune just fine!

• User profile image
    Ian

Well, last time I was over (Connections in March) I bought a Mac Mini and a Mac wireless pre-N router to bring back with me to blighty.  I was also in the market for a new MP3 having fried mine on the dashboard.  I was really tempted by the ipod but went for a Zune in the end.  I didn't want to be stuck in itunes land.  What really swung it for me was when I saw them side  by side -  the Zune screen is way better!  Of course if you want space then the 80GB iPod is the only game in town.

• User profile image
    Sampy

Me and Duncan both have Zunes and we're big fans. I know Duncan doesn't like it for running but I'm a big lazy bones so it's great for me.

Both my wife and a friend of me left iPods for Zune. We're big fans of the subscription service. I know lots of people hate on the "music renting" but I'm a fan.

I'm excited about the future of the platform as well. These guys know that they're making a music player first and not a "all in one" device. You're not going to see Zune v2 have Exchange connectivity, Pocket Office and IE. If I wanted all that crap I'd buy a Windows Mobile phone (which I will probably never do Tongue Out).

• User profile image
    cmanciero

Another question i have about the Zune, i have read that Zune v2 is coming out soon, does anyone know what the differences are going to be between v2 and v1 and around when v2 is coming out.

I don't want to buy a Zune this month just to find out that next month v2 comes out and is the best thing on earth.

(I guess I don't know all the specs, Does the Zune use a subscription service or do you buy individual songs?)

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

iPod!, why?

1. its small
    2. very good design
    3. very simple

• User profile image
    Bas

Why a Zune or iPod? Why not something that does more than either, for less money? http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/05/toshiba-gigabeat-s-portable-media-center-with-2-4-inch-qvga-lcd/

• User profile image
    Sampy

There are no confirmed reports of Zune v2 coming.

Everything is conjecture at this point and there are lots of fake stories out there.

RE: Gigabeat
    It's $50 cheaper (less if you can find a Zune deal) and all it has over Zune is PFS support (Windows Media 10 and Tivo support). If that's important to you, then you should consider it. It wasn't for me so I went with Zune. I very rarely buy music online and even when I do I burn it right away so I can listen to it in the car but also so I can re-rip. Subscriptions are easy to change.

It all comes down to what you are doing with the device. Are you just playing your ripped CDs? Do you want to buy music online? Do you want to use a subscription service? Are you jogging with the device or just riding the bus or subway?

See if you can find friends who have some of these and play with them a bit. I used an iPod for two months then got a Zune. I prefer the Zune but you might not. While you can try and make this a rational, by the numbers choice, make sure you value your personal feelings about the device. There is no one right answer.

• User profile image
    anand.t

I would advice you not to buy any MP3 player. They are dangerous for your ears

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Eh?

Do this. Cost you couple of hundred bucks but its not just MP3.

BUY A PALM TREO

Spend $20 on pTunes

Buy a 4GB card for $40 (£20 is what i know but US stuff is just halved etc...)

Et Voila = a phone, an MP3 player, a doc editor, watch videos, do whatever on it, surf the net... etc etc.

Thats what I've done.. works a treat. 'specially if you have a decent set of sennheisers to go with em.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Bas

Sampy wrote:

RE: Gigabeat
    It's $50 cheaper (less if you can find a Zune deal) and all it has over Zune is PFS support (Windows Media 10 and Tivo support).

It also syncs with Media Center and Windows Media Player without the need to install extra software. That's something the Zune should have been able to do, but isn't.

• User profile image
    Sampy

I disagree on the WMP syncing but that's okay. If that's what you want from a player then don't buy a Zune because it can't do that.

I have no investment in WMP or Media Center so it's no big deal for me. WMP and Media Center will play all your Zune subscription and purchased music, however. I use WMP to stream music to my 360.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

i dont know why zune haters cant admit the on screen zune interface is great, but id guess its because most of them havent actually used a zune. the zune, the interface combined with the controls (and the feel of the casing), just feels nice to use

• User profile image
    Bas

What would make the Zune an immediate sell for me (if it was available in Europe, of course) would be wireless syncing.

USB cables and docking stations are all fine, but I can't help but drool at a scenario where I never even have to take the Zune out of the pocket of my coat when I get home, and still find all the latest podcasts on there every morning when I leave for work.

I imagine it as being 'connected' as soon as it is in your home wifi-network. In other words, regardless of wether it is next to your PC, on the table, in your coat on a hook in the hall, or perhaps even still in your car, parked in front of your house. As soon as the zune software on your PC notices that the Zune is reachable on the local network, it starts synching your music and podcasts.

Have that on the Zune v2, and I'm hooked. Regardless of wether it syncs with WMP or not.

• User profile image
    bgmacaw

I'd suggest avoiding the expensive players, that includes both Zune and iPod, and go with a sub $100 1-2GB flash based player that supports subscription music (which leaves out any Apple/iTunes product).

My observation with hard drive players, and some of the expensive flash based players too, is that they'll usually find a way to 'brick' themselves within 6-18 months time. The hard drive suddenly doesn't work or develops bad spots that crash the player, a firmware update hoses up the player so badly it has to be returned for repair, the pretty screen gets cracked by accident, you send it through the wash and dry cycle, etc., etc. Not to mention that they're easy for a thief to steal.

With today's low flash memory prices you can get a perfectly good flash based player for well under $100. It won't make such a cool social statement but it will play the music and will be more reliable in most cases. Call me cheap, but I'm at the point now that I don't want to put $250+ into something that has such a short usage lifespan.

• User profile image
    bgmacaw

Bas wrote:
    What would make the Zune an immediate sell for me (if it was available in Europe, of course) would be wireless syncing.

USB cables and docking stations are all fine, but I can't help but drool at a scenario where I never even have to take the Zune out of the pocket of my coat when I get home, and still find all the latest podcasts on there every morning when I leave for work.

I agree. I don't know why Microsoft missed the boat with this feature. I guess the marketing weasels wanted cute and meaningless coolness (the 'social' Perplexed ) over an actual improved user experience for digital music (and voice) listeners. 

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

bgmacaw wrote:

Bas wrote:What would make the Zune an immediate sell for me (if it was available in Europe, of course) would be wireless syncing.

I agree. I don't know why Microsoft missed the boat with this feature. I guess the marketing weasels wanted cute and meaningless coolness (the 'social' ) over an actual improved user experience for digital music (and voice) listeners. 

If you're talking about them not improving the wifi capabilities I don't think you can blame the marketing team, probably their legal team has more to do with it.

But in what ways is the Zune not a nice user experience otherwise?

• User profile image
    Bas

The limited song sharing is probably due to legal issues, yeah. I can live with that; I'm not big on sharing music, so I don't mind that being limited to 3 days or something. But why I can't connect to my home network and use the Zune software to synch all my stuff over the wireless connection is a mystery to me. I can't really detect any legal issues there.

I wish I was able to judge the user experience. Reports I hear are almost unanimous in that 'the 'Zune software sucks,' although I haven't really heard specified why, and that the interface is 'great', again without specification. I wish I could at least try the interface out, but alas, no Zunes in stores.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.