Coffeehouse Thread

27 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Free Software is Toast!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    fdisk

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/ArticleID/96039/96039.html?Ad=1

Windows IT Pro wrote:
    "The Free Software movement is dead," Hilf said, in a typical quip, as quoted in "The Bangkok Post." "Linux doesn't exist in 2007. Even [Linux creator] Linus [Torvalds] has a job today."
    Perplexed

• User profile image
    Massif

And for context, the next two paragraphs, just so the fanbois don't have any excuses for not knowing the rest of what was said:

Windows IT Pro wrote:

According to Hilf, the Linux phenomenon is really about Apache and related Web technologies such as PHP and MySQL, and not about Linux itself. And developers who target those technologies are increasingly interested in Windows, which accounts for about 67 percent of the server market. "That's the dirty little secret," he said. "When I talk to open source developers, at least half are talking about Windows, from SugarCRM, MySQL, PHP. Every single one."

And as for the notion that open source solutions like Linux are supported by a hidden army of programmers thanks to the availability of source code, Hilf says that, in reality, most active development is coming from paid employees at the companies that release Linux distributions. "They are full-time employees, with 401K stock options," he said. "Some work for IBM or Oracle. There is no free software movement. If someone says Linux is about love, peace and harmony, I would tell them to do their research. There is no free software movement any more. There are big commercial companies like IBM and there are small commercial companies like Ubuntu."

• User profile image
    Chadk

I dont think free software is dead.
    There still alot of interrest in hobby projects for people, for the community.
    I think we are gonna see more and more free software, as .NET makes it faster and easier to do advanced things, which would take whole software teams to make.

• User profile image
    Chadk

emet wrote:

If Linux was "dead", why does Mr. Hilf feel like he needs to tell the whole world about it?

Who says that Linux is dead?

• User profile image
    k2t0f12d

Chadk wrote:
    Who says that Linux is dead?

I do.  Linux is dead in the light that is does not meet the minimum scientific criteria to be considered a lifeform.

• User profile image
    anand.t

emet wrote:

If Linux was "dead", why does Mr. Hilf feel like he needs to tell the whole world about it?

I smell something coming from the dark halls of Redmond, it smells like DESPERATION.

At least next time hire a more entertaining clown for stuff like this. I like the Iraqi information minister.

then why the hell do you come here and irritate us everyday from dawn to dusk. Is it not desperation??

• User profile image
    Chadk

k2t0f12d wrote:

Chadk wrote: Who says that Linux is dead?

I do.  Linux is dead in the light that is does not meet the minimum scientific criteria to be considered a lifeform.

Linux is far from dead. Theres lots of scenarios where Linux is the best to use.

• User profile image
    fdisk

I'm just amazed Bill would come out and say something like that. Years of lab work over at Port 25, and this was the conclusion he came up with. So is he saying that all the projects over on Sourceforge are actually secretly being funded by giant companies? And that nobody takes their spare time to build projects on the side that may be of use to people?

• User profile image
    k2t0f12d

Chadk wrote:
    Linux is far from dead. Theres lots of scenarios where Linux is the best to use.

Perhaps I was being too subtle.

Wikipedia wrote:

There is no universal definition of life; there are a variety of definitions proposed by different scientists.To define life in unequivocal terms is still a challenge for scientists[1][2].

Conventional definition: Often scientists say that life is a characteristic of organisms that exhibit the following phenomena:

1. Homeostasis: Regulation of the internal environment to maintain a constant state; for example, sweating to reduce temperature.
    2. Organization: Being composed of one or more cells, which are the basic units of life.
    3. Metabolism: Consumption of energy by converting nonliving material into cellular components (anabolism) and decomposing organic matter (catabolism). Living things require energy to maintain internal organization (homeostasis) and to produce the other phenomena associated with life.
    4. Growth: Maintenance of a higher rate of synthesis than catalysis. A growing organism increases in size in all of its parts, rather than simply accumulating matter. The particular species begins to multiply and expand as the evolution continues to flourish.
    5. Adaptation: The ability to change over a period of time in response to the environment. This ability is fundamental to the process of evolution and is determined by the organism's heredity as well as the composition of metabolized substances, and external factors present.
    6. Response to stimuli: A response can take many forms, from the contraction of a unicellular organism when touched to complex reactions involving all the senses of higher animals. A response is often expressed by motion, for example, the leaves of a plant turning toward the sun or an animal chasing its prey.
    7. Reproduction: The ability to produce new organisms. Reproduction can be the division of one cell to form two new cells. Usually the term is applied to the production of a new individual (either asexually, from a single parent organism, or sexually, from at least two differing parent organisms), although strictly speaking it also describes the production of new cells in the process of growth.

Linux is dead because it is not scientifically considered to be alive.

• User profile image
    eagle

Thanks fdisk for forking the FREE thread, this just illustrates what goes on within the free software movement - forks at every turn.

There isn't one free software community, they split into many factions long ago.

• User profile image
    Bas

emet wrote:

Oh, the irony.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

This is how I replied to that on OSNews:

Linux and FOSS aren't about stopping commercialization. They are about equality for both businesses and end users alike. Business and end users are granted the same rights to the source code and distribution. This is the fundamental concept behind software freedom and why it has become a viable model for some in the software buisness.

Bill makes the assertion that businesses are the sole contributers to FOSS. Thats really asinine. Perhaps that may be partially true for very large and complex projects like the Linux kernel--which quite frankly require software engineers with college degrees to understand and manage the code. However, this is far from the truth with smaller projects.

I see tons of smaller FOSS projects that are actively developed by ordinary folks working off donations and spare time.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Bas wrote:
    Oh, the irony.

Whats ironic is Bill Hilf is supposibly the big figure head at Microsoft's open source division yet has little to no interest in OSS other than to make it work in Windows and migrate it away from real OSS platforms.

• User profile image
    fdisk

eagle wrote:
    Thanks fdisk for forking the FREE thread, this just illustrates what goes on within the free software movement - forks at every turn.

There isn't one free software community, they split into many factions long ago.
    ?

These words come from a Linux Guru within your own ranks, and you want to diss him like that? I wonder if Mr. Hilf has a Linux laptop. This has nothing to do with patents, but it looks like a coordinated FUDstorm in progress. Half of what he says is just plain full of error, and how could anybody that does the amount of research that he claims to do come up with conclusions like this?

• User profile image
    Angus

k2t0f12d wrote:

That doesn't necessarily make it dead though.

You wouldn't say that a piece of plastic is dead; it is merely inanimate. Linux isn't scientifically alive, but I wouldn't say it is dead. Plastic is not alive; one wouldn't say plastic was dead.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    k2t0f12d

Angus wrote:
    That doesn't necessarily make it dead though.

You wouldn't say that a piece of plastic is dead; it is merely inanimate. Linux isn't scientifically alive, but I wouldn't say it is dead. Plastic is not alive; one wouldn't say plastic was dead.

Angus Higgins

Hey thats a very good point.  One must consider whether dead is simply a state of lifelessness or the state something that was once alive reaches when ceasing to be alive.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

fdisk wrote:
    These words come from a Linux Guru within your own ranks, and you want to diss him like that? I wonder if Mr. Hilf has a Linux laptop. This has nothing to do with patents, but it looks like a coordinated FUDstorm in progress. Half of what he says is just plain full of error, and how could anybody that does the amount of research that he claims to do come up with conclusions like this?

I saw Bill using RHEL 4 in his last C9 interview by Charles.

• User profile image
    Chadk

k2t0f12d wrote:

But why would you ever argue about if Linux once were "alive" in a biological term, which is what you just quoted from wikipedia), or not?
    Most interresting is if theres a growth in the usage, and if becoming redundant to other products, becuase they do the job better?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.