Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Domain Driven Design

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    raymond

Check out this interview on dotnetrocks and then go and read his book.

Show #236 | 5/10/2007 (69 minutes)

Eric Evans on Domain Driven Design

http://www.dotnetrocks.com/

http://domaindrivendesign.org/books/index.html

Charles--Please interview Eric on Channel 9 Wink

Cool

• User profile image
    ben2004uk

Yeah I saw another person saying the book is really good.  Might have to check it out.

• User profile image
    ben2004uk

Do you recommend this or Jimmy Nilsson's book?

• User profile image
    raymond

ben2004uk wrote:

Do you recommend this or Jimmy Nilsson's book?

Both.

I almost posted this comment.

Glad you asked.

Cool

• User profile image
    fdisk

I've got lots of other books to catch up on. Why is this one important?

And...

How will it help me to develop rich, flexible, customer-centric applications while improving my existing rich, flexible, customer-centric programs, AND give me the rich tools I need to leverage my existing rich skillset? 

Will this book give me the broad, rich, robust, framework I need to make design decisions and give me a technical vocabulary for discussing rich domain design? I want a book that is a synthesis of "widely accepted best practices" sprinkled with the author's personal commentary and "war stories". I'm facing a complex domain issue, and I want to find a rich framework to help approach these issues in a systematic, rich internet enabled way. 

Can this book help? [A]

• User profile image
    Randolpho

Hmm... a niche methodology. Although the website claims it's "not a methodology" but a "way of thinking a way of thinking and a set of priorities, aimed at accelerating software projects that have to deal with complicated domains", but that translates to methodology to me. *shrug*

Basically, it's a tuturial on how to approach modeling software for a complicated domain that the programmer/architect might not understand, like (for example) financial services. I may pick it up, but it's not high on the priority list at the moment.

• User profile image
    Sampy

After reading Object Thinking and Extreme Programming Explained, this book was an interesting beast. XP pushes you to Just in Time Design and I think the lessons from Domain Driven Design help you make the right calls to get a good system out of the end.

I'd call it more of an approach than a methodology.

• User profile image
    raymond

If you are building applications in the enterprise resource planning (ERP) area that are highly complex and interrelated, read the books.

First, I would listen to the interview on dotnet rocks to see if these books would interest you.

My last gig was a project manager for an ERP application for manufacturing companies and I found the approach helpful.

Cool

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.