Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

The 30-Day Challenge

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    DarthVista

I have an idea. I recently watched a show called "SuperSizeMe", and in it, the author takes a 30-day challenge by eating nothing but McDonald's day and night. How about this...we all take the 30 day challenge with Microsoft products. I'm serious! People should stop using third party products (drivers excluded) and use ONLY Microsoft solutions to their programming and productivity problems. Do this for 30 days. Then, report back here with the results. Or start a daily blog to record your massive productivty gains. Maybe you'll all have some new tips and tricks to share, too!

I don't know about you guys, but I'm game for this! Who's with me?

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

I'd be with you except this would be no change from the current way I do things.
    Tongue Out

Might I suggest you Digg yourself?

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

If I gave up Illustrator and Rhino I would fail two of my classes! Wink

• User profile image
    raymond

Make it 100 days.

I am starting my 100 day diet tomorow.

Let you know how it turned out.

Cool

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

textpad is too important

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

Make it the entire eternity [6][6][6][6]

"Oh dear god, it's still installing!"

• User profile image
    Chadk

What would the reward be?

• User profile image
    harumscarum

I think trying windows live search live for 30 days live is a little more feasible.

• User profile image
    JonLumb

I'm up for trying it at least.  I suspect the hardest thing to give up will be Mozilla, as I am used to mouse gestures now.  I have no option about using some in house software that we have at work, but as the was written in visual studio I am hoping that I can get away with it Tongue Out.

Programs I won't be using:

Mozilla Firefox
    NVu
    PHP Editor
    Google Search
    iTunes

I have been having a drive at work to get people to utilise the tools they already have at their disposal (Office etc), so this should be quite interesting.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Jason Cox wrote:
    I'd be with you except this would be no change from the current way I do things.

Might I suggest you Digg yourself?

Haha -- same here. OK. Paint .NET doesn't count as Microsoft product Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Dimmy Joolittle

I have a job where I have to run reports for most of the day and I don't use Access to do it! Access runs like molasses against our systems, so we use a third party tool. You're saying I should spend an extra hour or two of my day waiting for data to come back?

Screw that!

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Dimmy Joolittle wrote:
    I have a job where I have to run reports for most of the day and I don't use Access to do it! Access runs like molasses against our systems, so we use a third party tool. You're saying I should spend an extra hour or two of my day waiting for data to come back?

Screw that!

I think I'd say "Don't use Access. Ever.", and get you to upgrade to a 'proper' database server.  Wink

Herbie

• User profile image
    glebd

Here is another challenge for you: no Microsoft software for 30 days (including the OS). See how many come back.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

glebd wrote:
    Here is another challenge for you: no Microsoft software for 30 days (including the OS). See how many come back.

Actually, I'm trying that right now on my old laptop.  It's been over 30 days since I started and I still can't get my wireless card to work (after trying SuSe and Ubuntu).  I've decided that I'm not going to give up on it this time, and I'll figure out the ndiswrapper somehow.
    I guess that once I get it accessing the internet I'll give it a proper 30 day trial.

But given that I work on C# systems for customers running Windows, I don't see me dropping Microsoft permenantly.

Herbie

• User profile image
    DarthVista

Dr Herbie wrote:

Dimmy Joolittle wrote: I have a job where I have to run reports for most of the day and I don't use Access to do it! Access runs like molasses against our systems, so we use a third party tool. You're saying I should spend an extra hour or two of my day waiting for data to come back?

Screw that!

I think I'd say "Don't use Access. Ever.", and get you to upgrade to a 'proper' database server. 

Herbie
    I think this is a matter of a configuration problem. Do you have the latest ODBC drivers? Maybe you should upgrade to a newer version of Access. Like 2003 or the latest version. And have you checked out the Access security features? They are superb. Talk to some MVPs! And yes, contrary to popular belief, you CAN disable the shift-double-click security bypass feature when opening up a securing Access database. Just code in the functionality!

• User profile image
    DarthVista

glebd wrote:
    I think everybody would come running back after that! Wink

Besides, I don't want to install a bunch of kitsch software on my PC, or worse, litigationware! Sad

• User profile image
    glebd

DarthVista wrote:
    Besides, I don't want to install a bunch of kitsch software on my PC, or worse, litigationware!

You seem to be easily scared by the FUD Ballmer and co. are spreading. Next thing you'll say, FOSS is dead!

• User profile image
    odujosh

you mean there are people who don't use esclusively microsoft solutions. Man who knew. </sarcasm>

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.