Coffeehouse Thread

39 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Behind enemy lines: A post from Ubuntu

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

Hello penguinistas!

Let's see if the C9 editor really does in fact remove all spaces when I post this ( there are currently spaces).

Well I have spent the day re-thinking my positions on FOSS and Patents and IP - and not to let good ol' Steve down - I decided he is absolutely right!  Think about all that stolen IP in the c9parks (all removed) or the music in 9patrol / surninerman / taxi9er/ champions (all removed).

Or - what if ideas posted on C9 caused him some IP headaches - *it's too late to remove any i posted - but i did remove all images from the past.

I think that makes me almost 100% MS compliant! Do I need to send a check anywhere?  Address please!

To think Ive spent 3 years trying to go back in time. Trying to get MS to see the errors it has made in regards to the main mistake of disbanding IP&Ts division.  But now that Im here in Ubuntu - I can finally say that with conviction - as I am a Linux troll now! Wink

Repent!  Load Ubuntu!  I just did... well sort of.  It took me a while to figure out how and where to download it. And when I found it - there were many text links of gobblty gook I could choose from. 

I stayed away from anything with 64 in it - and anything with stuff like .c2 or whatever at the end. Low and behold - I got Ubuntu! It just boots off CD!  (after opening and mounting the iso)

So cool - Im in. Where's beryl??  Enable Desktop Effects - Im in!
    Oh you need a driver - it finds it - it loads it - reboot now.. OK!

Please take the disc out and press enter. Will do. *reboots* ...into... XP

(hmmm )

Do some research on beryl - inthe ubuntu forums sticky - beryl: "WARNING DONT LOAD BERYL - we didnt include it - its beta software - you better know what you are doing!"  umm ok.

If you want Beryl - you should really have downloaded Sabayon Linux..idiot!

What a nice man.   OK - so - sabayon linux is what i need - lets download that then - 3 gigs later (all links to mini sabayon were dead) I got it.  Mount iso - burn dvd - reboot - it works... i think...

FATAL ERROR - nvidea driver bla bla .... keeps loading

Login prompt#

hmm.. i read above - password is root - username is sabayonuser  password is sabayonuser

i type sabayonuser
    error
    i type root
    error
    i type username: sabayonuser
    error
    i type sabayon
    boof - off we go - long lines of text

ends with error

oh well

type exit - *it works im logged out
    type hmmm reboot?
    it works reboots.

Oh well - no beryl for me. So i put back in the cd to make this post. Reboot - welcome to ubuntu (i love this cd OS thing)

Linux has come along way - it is not a wonder people without a clue - are afraid of it and want to kill it

I think someone needs to go install ubuntu on Stevebs computer.. seriously - someone... bill?

Wink

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

I was thinking I should remove Windows and go with Linux. My friend told me to try the new Fedora 7, but now that you have installed Ubuntu, maybe I am going to try it in my virtual environemnt, and see if I like it.

I am getting tired of Windows, and all the troubleshoting, that goes on.

I might switch totally to Linux.

Now if only one can do C# in linux, that would be great.

• User profile image
    Dimmy Joolittle

Expressionless

Mods! Somebody has hijacked Jamie's user account!

• User profile image
    jamie

one sec ( im in a legally sanctioned OS right now..(xp)  let me reboot to answer...

ok phew im in
    *nice start up sound - i wonder if it took 300 hours and 9 people to make

also - its really cool that this time - i got two progress bars when booting up (although one didnt do anything)

Maybe next time i boot in Ill get 3 progress bars - cool!

*Steve - you really got to crack down on FOSS - this stuff will put you out of business ..like tomorrow!

ok - back to question at hand:  Well i havent "loaded it" for real is why i cant do what you suggest - still only booting off cd to try it

*why do linux UI designers like courier?  are they couriers?  maybe linux is made by bicycle couriers.. the plot thickens

• User profile image
    wkempf

ROTFLMAO!

Jamie, great post.  Can't believe how many people didn't get it.  Even trying to explain to you how to use "apt" from within a LiveCD session. *giggle snort*

The satire is great, but I do have to say that Linux isn't all bad either.  Needs some polish that only "experts" can do, otherwise it looks like someone permanently attached a strong magnet to the monitor.  Also requires several manuals (you know, of RTFM Noob! infamy) just to figure out how to get your browser (pick one of 12) to play multimedia files.  And forget installing a printer, even the experts spend a lifetime (in Internet time) trying to figure that one out. At least they have a great office application (provided the above issue with the magnet doesn't make your eyes water too much when typing in your thank you letter to Stallman, and your coffee doesn't get too cold while waiting for it to open, making you too sleepy to write it any way).  Oh, and it is a wonderful server OS (you thought the manuals required for the browser were thick...  if I printed these out my desk couldn't hold up under the weight, but thankfully I can't get that printer to work any way).

Oh, and before the Linux guys go ballistic, this is meant to be funny.  The above ARE legitimate criticisms, but despite that, I really do like Linux and have run numerous distribs for about 5 years now.  So, lighten up.

• User profile image
    jamie

random ubuntu observations:

- click "open office word processor" (Ubuntu has its own naming problems we see...)  

so called "Word" opens
    Looks like word 95
    icons are blurry
    starts with a box like quark - or publisher (not like word though)

lets close that. - go to... computer

looks like ie3 / netscape 4
    view as list = details view - wheres list?  why does everyone hate list! Wink

File system.. is Lindows the distribution that has made linux roots look and behave like windows? (ie C: drive - and folders)  indeciferable to me.. bin..var..usr...root.. fogeddaboutit CLOSE

Network - sure lets click it.  Opens fast. Windows Network - click it - machines all there - all work. NICE

ok..  overall - its interesting. its fun. i clicked a few hard to find links - got it for free - used a 10  <-thats the 0162 alt cents sign... ) cd - and bang im done. No mean validation - no over the top versioning and pricing and eulas..

It is indeed funny to think that within 30 minutes one can try a new OS

I hear there's a new free one at windows.com **beep beep beep *** oh no! i tripped the alarm! I gotta reboot!  BUY!

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Dimmy Joolittle wrote:

Mods! Somebody has hijacked Jamie's user account!

No. Nobody can miss Jamie's "unique" way of writing in his posts. Smiley

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

jamie wrote:
    Back in LEGAL Windows TM again.

thanks

Unfortunately - i really did remove everything i said above.

At least i am now LEGAL

And he did...  c9Park is gone.  Channel9.ca is gone.  Everything is gone.

Why???

• User profile image
    jamie

Back in LEGAL Windows TM again.

thanks Smiley

At least i am now LEGAL (minus the avatar)

• User profile image
    jamie

channel9.ca could be construed as an infringement on IP rights owned by MSFT

you can still access that (sort of ) by going to winnews.com

(same toolbar - just click coffeehouse)

as for videos with music by the beatles and queen - all removed - as well as peanuts/southpark/calvin based cartoons - all removed

there is no middle ground when it comes to IP

i will be sure to post only what is MINE in the future

• User profile image
    Minh

I'm going to have to report you. Expect a stern e-mail from Stuart soon! Mad

• User profile image
    jamie

Minh wrote:

I'm going to have to report you. Expect a stern e-mail from Stuart soon!

* i cant believe they think that's me! Wink

• User profile image
    jamie

LOL!

hahahaha

sorry - really thanks for the help

• User profile image
    anytime1

Hi, nvidia and ATI drivers ARE NOT OFFICIALY SUPPORTED BY UBUNTU and "If you encounter bugs with these closed-source drivers, developers will not be able or even willing to assist you in resolving your issues. Use at your own risk." COmpiz/beryl bugs you are seeing are acutally problems with your nvidia proprietary driver; this is why Dell will likely use Intel graphics since they are fully suported and open in Xorg. you have to paste some lines into xorg.conf (xorg.conf is only a problem with this version of Ubuntu, next version Xorg 7.3 won't need xorg.conf), I'll have to search for them again...you could also do "sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals" Official nVidia and ATi linux drivers aren't very good, which is why there are people reverse engineering them in Nouveau and r300. You got the fatal error in Sabayon probably because nVidia recently split their drivers into legacy, newer legacy, and new (another reason for people to reverse engineer, no reliance on a bad vendor), not all Linux distros updated to that, see: http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-9746/README/appendix-a.html BTW apt-get isn't recommended anymore since it won't pull in recommended packages, use sudo aptitude install beryl instead. "So cool - Im in. Where's beryl?? Enable Desktop Effects - Im in! Oh you need a driver - it finds it - it loads it - reboot now.. OK! Please take the disc out and press enter. Will do. *reboots* ...into... XP" You used a live cd so you didn't install anything. You also could have pressed CTRL + ALT + BCKSPC to quit the x session and see if nvidia loaded up. Or you could also install a package named "envy" (google it) to install it in a live cd session.. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

If you want a more streamlined user experience try PCLinuxOS.  Its based off of Mandrake and a much more complete system.

http://www.pclinuxos.com

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

My experience with Sabyon was pretty good but it struck me as a distribution where you still needed to be very familiar with Linux to get anything to really work.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Thats part of the problem.  Unwilling to assist you.

anytime1 wrote:
    Hi, nvidia and ATI drivers ARE NOT OFFICIALY SUPPORTED BY UBUNTU and "If you encounter bugs with these closed-source drivers, developers will not be able or even willing to assist you in resolving your issues.

• User profile image
    Rossj

jamie wrote:

At least i am now LEGAL (minus the avatar)

Personally I am looking forward to Microsoft's first attempt to get a patent license from someone who has contributed to the Sandbox. Of course you could claim Lache which says that if they know of a patent infringement they have to sue within a reasonable time or lose.

Of course when Microsoft lose their first patent case in court they'll claim they were just trying to reform the patent system.

Ballmer out!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.