Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista, Aero, battery life . . . and Doom

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

The article is found here.

I have also seen that the Aero UI interface consumes a lot battery. As mentioned I also thought it must be the graphics card...

• User profile image
    footballism

I guess if it is rendered using software, it will consume way much memory.Tongue Out

Sheva

• User profile image
    littleguru

footballism wrote:
    I guess if it is rendered using software, it will consume way much memory.

Sheva

That's actually not true. If you unload the DWM it falls back to the old GDI thing and seems to consume as much as if DWM is enabled.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

littleguru wrote:
    The article is found here.

I have also seen that the Aero UI interface consumes a lot battery. As mentioned I also thought it must be the graphics card...

Did you really think that graphics cards don't require power?

• User profile image
    littleguru

ZippyV wrote:

littleguru wrote: The article is found here.

Did you really think that graphics cards don't require power?

It needs power? I thought it is in perpetual motion Wink

I didn't think it needs so much... My battery power goes down from 2 hours to half an hour!

• User profile image
    Bas

Nick White nuances the findings a bit on the Vista Team blog: http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2007/05/14/aero-and-battery-life.aspx

Yeah, obviously more CPU/GPU intense features are going to consume more power. Wether or not the consumption is noticable, really depends on a lot of different factors. Also, the types of batteries, even the way you handle two batteries of the same type can introduce noticable variations in power consumption.

If you want to consume battery power, run MS-DOS 5. Make sure you turn the screen brightness down to 50%, too. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Massif

On this note, does anyone know why in my account my tablet disables glass effects on battery - but in my fiancees account it doesn't.

I swear I haven't set any options to do with this.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

On the topic of Aero and Vista.

How come Vista does not anything like the LongHorn Concept?

will this be the next version after vista?

• User profile image
    Bas

SecretSoftware wrote:

Because that was just a concept?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

SecretSoftware wrote:

Because video mock-ups are easier to make than software? Especially usable software?

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

Sven Groot wrote:

SecretSoftware wrote:On the topic of Aero and Vista.

Because video mock-ups are easier to make than software? Especially usable software?

Bas wrote:

SecretSoftware wrote:On the topic of Aero and Vista.

Because that was just a concept?

True. But I wished that was possible. Perhaps in the next version, things would be better Big Smile

Especially with the Octa-Cores that will be produced.

• User profile image
    Sampy

I bound one of my laptop's random buttons to load the mobility center. When ever I pull it out to use on battery I just press that and set it to Power Saver. Back on the plug? Hit it again and switch to High Performance.

In case you want to do the same, set your button to launch:

C:\Windows\System32\mblctr.exe

Your Sys32 drive may vary.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

If there was a way to recharge the battery using your wireless internet connection, that would be good:P

Or, recharging using solar energy should be a standard part of any mobile technology.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Sampy wrote:
    I bound one of my laptop's random buttons to load the mobility center. When ever I pull it out to use on battery I just press that and set it to Power Saver. Back on the plug? Hit it again and switch to High Performance.

In case you want to do the same, set your button to launch:

C:\Windows\System32\mblctr.exe

Your Sys32 drive may vary.

I have also set my power scheme to "Power saver" to have the Aero UI disabled when running only on battery Smiley That's saving me a lot of battery power.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.