Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Ruby on Rails vs JAVA and PHP [Updated]

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

LOL! The ads are done very well... although they tend to do the same as the Apple ads: selling something that might or might not be true as true...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1NVfDlU6yQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQbuyKUaKFo

Enjoy.

Edit: Part 3 is online:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5EIrSM8dCA

• User profile image
    stevo_

Apart from my 1 hour mess around with ruby, I haven't tried it much. I saw some interesting stuff in there for creating 'things' fast. All in all I just find .NET much more sophisticated than the rest...

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Meh, It's getting pathetic seeing all of these ads mimicing Apple's ads...Come on Ruby, you claim to be original in the first place, and yet you (or your followers) have the most unoriginal ads every Smiley

I'm a PHP guy...but If I had to pick between PHP, Ruby, or Java...I'd go with Java.

• User profile image
    raymond

littleguru wrote:
    LOL! The ads are done very well... although they tend to do the same as the Apple ads: selling something that might or might not be true as true...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1NVfDlU6yQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQbuyKUaKFo

Enjoy.

LOL

Where is the third video Ruby On Rails vs C#/Visual Basic? Wink

May Newsflash - Brought to you by Paul Jansen

• It seems as if the rapid growth of Ruby has come to an end. If this is indeed the case, then also Ruby does not become the "next big programming language". Java, C and C++ have been dominating the TIOBE index from the start and it seems as if they will keep this status for a long while. Possible new candidates are Lua (from 55 to 23 in 1 years time) and Groovy (from 103 to 52). These are, just like Ruby, lightweight scripting languages. I have the impression there is a maximum to such dynamically interpreted languages. Although very popular in web-based programming, statically compiled languages remain the core of all enterprise software systems. Based on this, I predict that the only candidate to change the top 3 is C#. This will not be achieved via hypes and vast jumps in the index but very gradually.

http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm

Go C# Go C# Go C# Tongue Out

Cool

PS  Take a look at:

Scott Guthrie: Silverlight and the Cross-Platform CLR

http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=304508

The TIOBE Programming Community index gives an indication of the popularity of programming languages. The index is updated once a month. The ratings are based on the world-wide availability of skilled engineers, courses and third party vendors. The popular search engines Google, MSN, and Yahoo! are used to calculate the ratings. Observe that the TIOBE index is not about the best programming language or the language in which most lines of code have been written.

The index can be used to check whether your programming skills are still up to date or to make a strategic decision about what programming language should be adopted when starting to build a new software system. The definition of the TIOBE index can be found here.

Position
    May 2007
    Position
    May 2006
    Delta in Position Programming Language Ratings
    May 2007
    Delta
    May 2006
    Status
    1 1 Java 19.140% -2.18%   A
    2 2 C 15.152% -2.54%   A
    3 3 C++ 10.114% -0.82%   A
    4 4 PHP 8.738% -1.48%   A
    5 5 (Visual) Basic 8.431% -1.13%   A
    6 6 Perl 6.152% +0.10%   A
    7 8 Python 3.779% +0.74%   A
    8 7 C# 3.656% +0.38%   A
    9 9 JavaScript 3.072% +0.88%   A
    10 19 Ruby 2.632% +2.18%   A
    11 10 Delphi 2.130% +0.36%   A
    12 11 SAS 2.076% +0.60%   A
    13 12 PL/SQL 1.979% +0.97%   A
    14 18 D 1.347% +0.87%   A
    15 21 ABAP 0.731% +0.31%   A
    16 14 Lisp/Scheme 0.698% -0.19%   B
    17 17 Ada 0.679% +0.19%   B
    18 13 FoxPro/xBase 0.637% -0.37%   B
    19 20 Fortran 0.630% +0.20%   B
    20 15 COBOL 0.627% -0.04%   B

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

On the YouTube thing, just found this

DVDVIDEOSOFT.com

you can save the YouTube files as mp4 Smiley Handy... do it while you can on some things, they'll soon be gone... though i reckon this is illegal.

Ah well what ya gonna do.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    stevo_

Not sure how you can really compare ruby to a literal language like c# or vb... also- that table makes no sense at all..

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

jsampsonPC wrote:
    Meh, It's getting pathetic seeing all of these ads mimicing Apple's ads...Come on Ruby, you claim to be original in the first place, and yet you (or your followers) have the most unoriginal ads every

I'm a PHP guy...but If I had to pick between PHP, Ruby, or Java...I'd go with Java.

++
    java is the fastest of the three, and IMO c-like syntax also outweight candies that might hide in uberalien syntax of ruby.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

Java is cool. C# is cool too!

• User profile image
    footballism

SecretSoftware wrote:
    Java is cool. C# is cool too!

In essence, they are the same:D

Sheva

• User profile image
    anand.t

funy in the table above c# is going down and fortron is going up.

• User profile image
    theshadguy

It's sad, at work we use a program written in the 70s for our payroll. And it's a huge company....it sorta makes me......blue Wink

• User profile image
    TimP

I think it's funny how they try to mock Java by sarcastically saying that it's enterprise grade, yet they offer no defense of Ruby on Rails being enterprise grade (it isn't). I also didn't realize compiling code to avoid the overhead of a slow interpreter was a bad thing, either, but apparently RoR folks think it is.

• User profile image
    bitdisaster

If you read the definition of the TIOBE index then you find that the index depends on search results. I wonder if they pay attention to alternative spellings. I often recognized that you have to use CSharp instant of C# as search term. So maybe C# has a wrong rank. Big Smile 

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

raymond wrote:
    Go C# Go C# Go C#
    GO GO GADGET COMPILER Cool

• User profile image
    littleguru

Ion Todirel wrote:

raymond wrote:
    Go C# Go C# Go C#
    GO GO GADGET COMPILER

Whahaha! OMG how much do I miss him.

• User profile image
    Sabot

Guys have you noticed how much Visual Basic still rocks!

It comes as no surprise to me, it's my .Net language of choice.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.