Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Importance of Multi-Core Processors in Servers

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Secret​Software

This YouTube Video shows the importance and the evolution of hardware in the server platform.

As you can see the power of big server farms is being pushed down to the desktops and laptops that ordinary users use.

Every day we hear about new advancement in the hardware world, but not much in the software world, and how software is going to take advantage of the revolutionary and evolutionary changes that are happening at the hardware level.

The physical limitations that programmers faced before are lifting, and now imagination is the limit.

I am very excited about multi-core and possibilities they present in terms of performance and efficiency. It brings flashbacks of when I started programming. Very exciting.

I am really looking to see how MS will adapt and how new programming paradigms will have to come into play. Transactions are cool, but we truly need a new way of writing per formant multi-threaded applications that can take advantage of all this processing power.

New gaming experience, new work experience, new way of thinking about stuff. Wink

How will C++ evolve? How will C#/Vb.net evolve?

I guess we have to get used to a bit of runtime logic randomization.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Take a look at Windows Workflow Foundation and note how each workflow runs on a seperate thread from 'main'.

Asynchronous method invocation also makes use of threading.

Threading on multi-core processors is the objective and MS is providing lots of resources to this end, imho.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

JohnAskew wrote:
    Take a look at Windows Workflow Foundation and note how each workflow runs on a seperate thread from 'main'.

Threading on multi-core processors is the objective and MS is providing lots of resources to this end, imho.

However, the way we do multi-threading now, would not scale.

There are problems with race conditions/deadlocks/locks/ weird situations that cannot be debug easily.

MS says they have some incubation projects that deals with this and that will introduce modifications to the existing paradigms of multi-threading, but they are not dropping any hints.

I wonder how other software companies are dealing with this problem?

• User profile image
    kettch

SecretSoftware wrote:

JohnAskew wrote:

There are problems with race conditions/deadlocks/locks/ weird situations that cannot be debug easily.

MS says they have some incubation projects that deals with this and that will introduce modifications to the existing paradigms of multi-threading, but they are not dropping any hints.

The CCR is one way of handling this problem. It's been out for quite some time, and there are a few C9 videos that talk about it.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

kettch wrote:

SecretSoftware wrote:

JohnAskew wrote:

The CCR is one way of handling this problem. It's been out for quite some time, and there are a few C9 videos that talk about it.

yes I am aware of it. It hard to understand what is going on, and I wished it was explained in a more simpler way.

I tried to play with them but did not really understand how it works.

• User profile image
    kettch

SecretSoftware wrote:

yes I am aware of it. It hard to understand what is going on, and I wished it was explained in a more simpler way.

I tried to play with them but did not really understand how it works.

I don't know what to say then. I thought that George did a great job of explaining what they were doing. You kind of have to watch all 5(?) videos to get the big picture.

Right now most of the documentation exists in the Robotics Studio SDK. That should at least get you started.

Aside from the implementation details, there isn't really much to understand about what they are doing under the covers. That's the point of the runtime, you don't really have to care.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.