Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Delphi 5 IDE

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    phreaks

So one of the tasks I am now assigned with is managing an Delphi 5 application.

I have very minimal experience in Delphi, and the most annoying thing is the Delphi IDE's interface.

it is so bad, almost to a point of unusable to me.

Everything is a floating widow, that can't be docked in a way where code windows align.

How frustrating.... Perplexed

If anyone has any tips on how to set the IDE to be somewhat usable, please do tell.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

You'll just have to get accustomed to it.

One good thing about Delphi is that it is the actual predecessor for C#, not Java or C++, imho.

"Everything derives from Object", as Anders has said of each of these languages he's created; Delphi and C#.

• User profile image
    phreaks

JohnAskew wrote:

You'll just have to get accustomed to it.

One good thing about Delphi is that it is the actual predecessor for C#, not Java or C++, imho.

"Everything derives from Object", as Anders has said of each of these languages he's created; Delphi and C#.

Ya, I doubt I'll ever get accustomed to it.
    I am only performing some priority triage tasks, then it's off to rearchitect this monolithic app into something much more contemporary.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

phreaks wrote:
    ... and the most annoying thing is the Delphi IDE's interface.

it is so bad, almost to a point of unusable to me.
    I understand you man, belive me. We had some lab work to do in Delphi at uni in past and man, i hate Delphi IDE

• User profile image
    m1keread

This is all hindsight though, at the time, the Delphi IDE was the mutts nutts and much better than Visual C++ or the other so called competitors.  Delphi had no real competitors, Visual C++ was bigger and sold more and was used more, but imho Delphi was the superior beast easily.

Its just that MS made an IDE better than Delphi's with Visual Studio .NET and in looking back, the Delphi IDE is not as good as VS.  But at the time...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.