Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Installer & multiple installations

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Secret​Software

Hi,
        Why does Windows Installer not support multiple installations of different programs at the same time?

Will Windows Installer be able to support multi-install tasks simultaneously in the future?

Its just not efficient to have to wait for one installation to finish then start the other. I want to be able to start all, and at the same time.

Thanks

• User profile image
    wkempf

Because installations modify shared objects it would be extremely difficult to make them work in this manner.  The technical issues, to me, make it not worth the effort here to satisfy a relatively minor and uncommon use case.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

wkempf wrote:

Because installations modify shared objects it would be extremely difficult to make them work in this manner.  The technical issues, to me, make it not worth the effort here to satisfy a relatively minor and uncommon use case.

Why not use transactions? You can start multiple transactions that would install files, and if one fails try again.

There are ways around this, and I wished MS would implement it.

The way its done is so yesterday...I mean really.

Alternative solution:

give us an installation manager that manages multiple installations. All I have to do is start multiple program installations, and the manager would queue them and do them in order.

What can I say?

• User profile image
    AndyC

What happens if an installer modifies its behaviour dependent on the state of other packages? Allowing simultaneous execution of MSIs is just asking for race conditions.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

AndyC wrote:
    What happens if an installer modifies its behaviour dependent on the state of other packages? Allowing simultaneous execution of MSIs is just asking for race conditions.

You are correct. But then MS can employ some sort of queue system for the windows installer. I can set it and forget it, and be assured that these particular programs would install in sequence.

I thought that Transactional NTFS, would change the whole way installations are done. Perhaps I have too high expectations.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

dble pst.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

MSI does use transactions. Using Transactional NTFS is not enough, what about starting/stopping services?

Do like the SQL server team did and create an application that "chains" the installations together.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.