Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Fan Boy

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

    OK..  back to being me.

    No .. “Panic” avatar…

    No.. sad C9guy avatar…

    No IP Violation Calvin avatar….

    No One flew over the Lobotomy avatar…

    Or even avatars I didn’t use like General Patent

    Back in XP ( no Ubuntu..) 


    Sorry for playing “Mind Games” on C9 (Raymond Tongue Out

    It was most likely foolish to delete all the c9parks and movies… when this IP stuff blows over .. guess Ill just upload them all again  (*it hurt to delete 25k worth of page views)

    I seriously was going to leave… or wanted too. “So long and thanks for all the fish” would have been the title.  But I tried hard not to write the “Im leaving” post.

    It was very hard, as I still am extremely upset by the recent posturing and pontificating of certain ms execs.. in regards to open communities, open collaboration and open source software (even though in recent posts I completely made fun of it – it should be allowed to LIVE) (.com) Tongue Out

    Anyway..  I was going to do a new c9”parkette” in which all the characters were potatoes ..(arg!)  but  Ive gone on about this enough…so back to normal (well for me anyway Smiley)

    So word to the wise: think twice or 3 or 4 times before you write your “im leaving c9” thread.

    If all this threat stuff didn’t make me leave, even after all the lock up the UI and add validation stuff didn’t – then Im not sure what will.

    I still believe C9 can help change the 90%+ OS company of the world.  Does that make me a fan boy?
    Perhaps by DEFAULT it does.

    j

  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

    I'd prefer to wait and see if MSFT actually does anything about the IP patent issues.  There's a big difference between "they can" and "they are". 

    Trust me, they'll lose a lot more than just the best graphics guy I've ever met (you).  They'll lose a lot of decent, unabashed fan bois as well.

    I still want to see if this finally causes the US IP Rights laws to change for the better.  I think the laws are stupid.  I think MSFT is smart to keep playing by those laws, but that doesn't change the fact that the laws are wrong.

  • User profile image
    Angus

    What started all of this off?

    I have been confused really as I must have missed what began these problems and then I thought someone had cracked into jamie's account. Tongue Out

    I'm glad everything is (almost) normal now. Tongue Out

    Channel 9 wouldn't be the same without jamie.

    Angus Higgins

  • User profile image
    Bas

    An "I was going to leave and then return after all" post rather than yet another futile "I'm leaving!" post.

    Well, it's a first, at least.

  • User profile image
    Harlequin

    Bas wrote:
    An "I was going to leave and then return after all" post rather than yet another futile "I'm leaving!" post.

    Well, it's a first, at least.


    We're not getting an ignore button after all on C9v4, so it might happen after all Smiley

  • User profile image
    jamie

    ..  just thought i should explain what the heck was going through my head these past few (sickening) days

    sorry for the weird posts

  • User profile image
    k2t0f12d

    ScanIAm wrote:
    I still want to see if this finally causes the US IP Rights laws to change for the better.  I think the laws are stupid.  I think MSFT is smart to keep playing by those laws, but that doesn't change the fact that the laws are wrong.


    Microsoft has done enough to perpetuate the myth of the validity of IP by pioneering the protection of computer software under the same laws as art, music, and literature.  Stallman's essays on the perversion of copyright, trademark, and patent law are very relevant and not cultish at all.

    Of course, it would be suicidal for Microsoft not to follow the laws that its company has been built around to begin with.

  • User profile image
    PaoloM

    k2t0f12d wrote:
    
    ScanIAm wrote:
    I still want to see if this finally causes the US IP Rights laws to change for the better.  I think the laws are stupid.  I think MSFT is smart to keep playing by those laws, but that doesn't change the fact that the laws are wrong.


    Microsoft has done enough to perpetuate the myth of the validity of IP...

    Wait wait... a myth?

  • User profile image
    anand.t

    jamie what is your problem?? All moronic threads over the past few days?? Expressionless:|

    is that you on the avatar??

  • User profile image
    k2t0f12d

    PaoloM wrote:
    Wait wait... a myth?


    A myth in that the reason these laws are being used today differs from the reason they were established in the past.

  • User profile image
    PaoloM

    k2t0f12d wrote:
    
    PaoloM wrote:
    Wait wait... a myth?


    A myth in that the reason these laws are being used today differs from the reason they were established in the past.

    Intellectual property is the basis for copyright law (how do you protect something you don't actually own?). Without copyright law, the GPL goes away.

    RMS is weird sometimes.

  • User profile image
    Dimmy Joolittle

    Don't worry Jamie, it's not about you. Apparently, not only is the open source community fair game, but certain gamers are having their sports rosters destroyed in an effort to "stomp out cheating".

    Watch what you say, they'll be calling you a radical! Wink

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    k2t0f12d wrote:
    
    PaoloM wrote:
    Wait wait... a myth?


    A myth in that the reason these laws are being used today differs from the reason they were established in the past.


    If you think they are no longer valid, then it's your responsibility to elect people to get them changed.  That's how a democracy works.

    Until they are changed, you have to work within the legal framework that's established.  This isn't an optional thing--  if you object to the laws, that's no excuse to break them.

  • User profile image
    k2t0f12d

    PaoloM wrote:
    Intellectual property is the basis for copyright law (how do you protect something you don't actually own?). Without copyright law, the GPL goes away.

    RMS is weird sometimes.


    LOL, RMS is weird a lot of the time.  But I really do appreciate his writing whether I agree with it or not.  Unfortunately I am cursed with a skepticism the prevents me from agreeing with anyone entirely.  The IP law essays I feel are very poignant about the use and abuse of privileges extended in America by the law and turned from something that works for the people to something that works against them.

    I disagree that IP is the basis for copyright law, rather the reverse, that copyright law is construed to validate the concept of an idea as property.  Copyrights were originally given by an author to a publisher to prevent another publisher from annexing the same material.  Ultimately this could prevent the behavior we see IP being used for today by not allowing one large publisher from lurking about and swiping up as much material as possible and gaining the monopoly on print.

    It is another argument entirely whether returning the privilege of copyright to the extent of its original purpose would also eliminate the necessity of copyleft.

    CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    If you think they are no longer valid, then it's your responsibility to elect people to get them changed.  That's how a democracy works.

    Until they are changed, you have to work within the legal framework that's established.  This isn't an optional thing--  if you object to the laws, that's no excuse to break them.


    I didn't say I felt the law should be broken.  But let's go way to the other side of the extreme, and say that Hilter's final solution was a law, and as such could not be broken.  Of course, the result of that insanity was a World War, which everyone agreed was the right thing to do.  If so much of the American body politic can be bought and sold so cheaply today that Asia is permitted to destroy our electronics and automobile industries with low import tariffs and undervalued currency, or even considering giving the security of our ports to a foreign power, how can we the people get them to listen to us instead of the cash cows of the corporations?

  • User profile image
    raymond

    Or even avatars I didn’t use like General Patent


    LOL

    Glad to see they did not shoot you crossing back into God' s country. Smiley

    But did General Patent slap you around? Wink

    Watch out, Charles the Hammer is back, and is in locking mode.

    Cool

  • User profile image
    jamie

    Dimmy Joolittle wrote:


    Watch what you say, they'll be calling you a radical!


    id much prefer Dreamer... stupid little dreamer...

    (this should be in the Crime of Century Thread? Tongue Out )

  • User profile image
    jason818_25​3.33

    Jamie, your a brave man and i aplaude your vocalness.

    Im trying to understand all this free stuff for my self.

  • User profile image
    jamie

    for Raymond...

    http://channel9.pikspot.com/assets/2007/05/17/Mind_Games.html

    *ok there's a few potatoes! Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.