Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Google has deployed Universal Search on Google.com

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/05/universal-search-best-answer-is-still.html

I wonder what Microsoft will do to respond to this. This appears to be an evolutionary step for Google, but Microsoft appears to still be getting its search technologies on par with Google's previous search engine technologies, so it will be interesting to see what Microsoft does to respond. I wonder if WinFS could be adapted to this role.

• User profile image
    Bas

I'm.. missing what's so special about this. It's websearch results, image search results, news search results and such, all on the same page?

• User profile image
    j0217995

Does that mean I can search the entire Universe then? I wonder what I can find on Mars' internet

• User profile image
    Massif

Shining Arcanine wrote:
    I wonder if WinFS could be adapted to this role.

Sorry, have I missed something?

Could you explain how a File System is related to what appears to be a search page which combines different types of results on a single page?

Other than that, it's not that exciting - although there's very little to seperate "small idea which changes nothing" and "small idea which changes everything" so I'm not going to dismiss it that easily.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Massif wrote:

Shining Arcanine wrote:
    I wonder if WinFS could be adapted to this role.

Sorry, have I missed something?

Could you explain how a File System is related to what appears to be a search page which combines different types of results on a single page?

Other than that, it's not that exciting - although there's very little to seperate "small idea which changes nothing" and "small idea which changes everything" so I'm not going to dismiss it that easily.

WinFS is not a file system, but a database designed to act as a file system; think of it as a really special version of SQL Server, designed to make searches across content types easier.

From what I read, it is designed to do on the scale of a PC (or network but if I recall correctly, I read that portion of it was either delayed or canceled), what Google's universal search does on the scale of the internet. If WinFS does what Microsoft says that it does, it might be possible for Microsoft to adapt WinFS to internet searches to get almost the same enhancements that Google just deployed.

• User profile image
    Bas

I still don't see what's so special about this. Isn't it just search results from different types of searches gathered on a single page?

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Bas wrote:
    I still don't see what's so special about this. Isn't it just search results from different types of searches gathered on a single page?

That's what I thought; it's doing the same searches it already does but putting it all on one page.

Is it being over-hyped, or are we missing something?

Herbie

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

That's pretty neat... it's a bit like my "Find" favelet, but with all the results from the same search vendor, and with much nicer layout.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

I think it is nice update. I wonder if this added anymore k to the home page.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Didn't dogpile.com come up with this about 10 years ago?

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Bas wrote:

They unified their search engine's treatment of them, such that they are no longer separated into different content groups, but are each results, whether they are videos, webpages, books or anything else. When I think of how this would be done, it seems very difficult to do, as they are not doing a cut and paste job like Dogpile does, but they are weighing the relevance of each item.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.