Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Upgrade Delphi 5 App? Suggestions Plz

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    phreaks

So I have this delphi 5 app, (first released about 1996).

The thing is obviously old and very hard to maintain (especially since I don't know much Delphi)

I was looking on the Borland website and they have all sorts of new versions of Delphi out.

Does anyone know how difficult it would be to upgrade the existing code to a recent version of Delphi?

Ultimately, I want to rewrite in C# 3.0, but for now I just need to triage some high priority issues.

There are like a hundred different versions of Delphi out there, it's confusing. What does what? Turbo explorer? WTH is that?

http://www.codegear.com/downloads/free/delphi
    http://www.codegear.com/downloads/free/turbo

• User profile image
    cuscutis

When upgrading between versions of Delphi, the big question is if you have the source to your components. Best case to worst:

1. If the app is only using the Delphi standard components, you're good. You will probably have to make some changes, but not that many.
    2. If the app uses 3rd party components (with source), you can update the components or get updated versions if available.
    3. If the app uses 3rd party without source code and no upgrade version available, you need to replace those, if possible.
    I currently use Delphi 7 (yes, I know it's old), but within the past year had to work in Delphi 6 and Delphi 3.

Turbo explorer doesn't support adding 3rd party components. This will probably be your deciding factor.

• User profile image
    phreaks

cuscutis wrote:
    When upgrading between versions of Delphi, the big question is if you have the source to your components. Best case to worst:

1. If the app is only using the Delphi standard components, you're good. You will probably have to make some changes, but not that many.
    2. If the app uses 3rd party components (with source), you can update the components or get updated versions if available.
    3. If the app uses 3rd party without source code and no upgrade version available, you need to replace those, if possible.
    I currently use Delphi 7 (yes, I know it's old), but within the past year had to work in Delphi 6 and Delphi 3.

Turbo explorer doesn't support adding 3rd party components. This will probably be your deciding factor.

Thanks, but I just found this Delphi to C# conversion program.

I'm going to give that a whirl and see how good it is, it it can do the 90% that is guaranteed, I will just start refactoring the converted C# code.

Thank you for your valuable insight though, I had just downloaded Turbo, but you are correct, if it can't load 3rd party (or internally developed) components, then it is useless to me.

• User profile image
    jerlac123

Hi Guy's

I am currently after a copy of Delphi 7.0, but I am finding it hard.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Last resort will be to buy a later version and upgrade the source code and libraries.

Cheers

• User profile image
    m1keread

jerlac123 wrote:
    Hi Guy's

I am currently after a copy of Delphi 7.0, but I am finding it hard.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Cheers

It has probably already been on the cover on some PC magazine, I would check any local boot sales for them, our ones are full of out of date software that people think they can make a pound on .

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.