Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

Windows Is better than Ubuntu.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Secret​Software

So I spent 3 hours trying the newly released Ubuntu 7.04, and I cant say I like it.

It just sucks and it is buggy.

short and simple.

I think Ubuntu needs another 100 years to become as good as Windows in the desktop.

Honest Opinion.

I want my 3 hours back. Mad

• User profile image
    qwert231

Can't we all just get along?!?!

Imports vs. American
    Chevy vs. Ford
    Linux vs. Windows

What's the big deal? Aren't their more important things to worry about?

BTW, I program for Windows, and use Windows at home for my Video and Audio serving, but my home Web/File Server is Ubuntu.

Go with what works for you!

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Here we go..

Charles, is there a way we could suspend people who start feuds like this? Not as harsh as a ban, not as weak as a row... like, a weeks ban etc.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Secret​Software

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

Here we go..

Charles, is there a way we could suspend people who start feuds like this? Not as harsh as a ban, not as weak as a row... like, a weeks ban etc.

Better yet, give the original poster the ability to edit posts and comments and replies to the original poster so that we can edit ridiculous suggestions as the one I am replying to.

• User profile image
    Bas

You could at least try it for a bit longer than just three hours. Also maybe you could list some more concrete points than "It sucks and is buggy."

• User profile image
    Dharma Punk

qwert231 wrote:
    Can't we all just get along?!?!

Imports vs. American
    Chevy vs. Ford
    Linux vs. Windows

Coke vs. Pepsi

Do you suppose there are boards out there where soft drink/food enthusiasts go on page after page arguing whether Coke or Pepsi is better?

• User profile image
    k2t0f12d

SecretSoftware wrote:
    I want my 3 hours back.

Mark Shuttleworth leans back, drawing the drapery of his office window aside and with an ink pad and stamper makes three fresh clock face shaped stampings on the wall with a notorious chuckle.

• User profile image
    Bas

Dharma Punk wrote:

Do you suppose there are boards out there where soft drink/food enthusiasts go on page after page arguing whether Coke or Pepsi is better?

I so want this to be true.

• User profile image
    Wells

I've been using Ubuntu (Feisty) solidly for about 3 weeks now. It's /ok/ but there are lots of things wrong with it. I'll probably move back to windows at some point.

Anyway, here's what I found:

• Touchpad behaviour is just horrible. I had to plug in a usb mouse.
    • Fonts are horrible, they always have been.
    • Most of the default themes look like they are from the early 90s.
    • Thunderbird's spam filter SUCKS. With Outlook I hardly have to train it, it just works. Thunderbird I've been training for ages and it still can't get it right.
    • Video streaming support is poor - I've had firefox crash (by crash I mean spontaneously terminate with no errors or dialogs) numerous times when trying to view a video online. Half the time the media player just doesn't do anything.
    • Hardware drivers are still an issue. It took me a long time to get my wireless card working.
    • It can't turn off the backlight on my laptop's lcd.
    Various other problems. I just don't think Linux or Ubuntu have had enough time to mature for wide spread desktop use. There are too many usability issues and stupid bugs that have to be fixed. This is all in my opinion of course.

Wells

• User profile image
    odujosh

Wells wrote:
    I've been using Ubuntu (Feisty) solidly for about 3 weeks now. It's /ok/ but there are lots of things wrong with it. I'll probably move back to windows at some point.

Anyway, here's what I found:

• Touchpad behaviour is just horrible. I had to plug in a usb mouse.
    • Fonts are horrible, they always have been.
    • Most of the default themes look like they are from the early 90s.
    • Thunderbird's spam filter SUCKS. With Outlook I hardly have to train it, it just works. Thunderbird I've been training for ages and it still can't get it right.
    • Video streaming support is poor - I've had firefox crash (by crash I mean spontaneously terminate with no errors or dialogs) numerous times when trying to view a video online. Half the time the media player just doesn't do anything.
    • Hardware drivers are still an issue. It took me a long time to get my wireless card working.
    • It can't turn off the backlight on my laptop's lcd.
    Various other problems. I just don't think Linux or Ubuntu have had enough time to mature for wide spread desktop use. There are too many usability issues and stupid bugs that have to be fixed. This is all in my opinion of course.

Wells

They had what 20 years now. There is a reason they are losing. Linux is good for server and coding hobbyist. Not for consumer desktops. Its a problem of scale. How does one scale a mass of volunteers without chaos and with focus. That is why the Open Source movement is so slow, inconsistent, etc. Listening to the can't PHP and ASP.NET get along at Mix kinda highlighted it for me: Is it competitive to say we'll have it once someone gets to it. Whens that... hmm well... who knows.

I think at the end of day its a hybrid approach that will be the winner. Platform lead communities.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Bas wrote:

Dharma Punk wrote:

I so want this to be true.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6284&SearchTerms=coke++pepsi

Tongue Out

• User profile image
    ZippyV

While I was upgrading my virtual pc Ubuntu to version 7 I read here that there was something wrong with mouse support. Did anyone had a solution for it?

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

ZippyV wrote:

While I was upgrading my virtual pc Ubuntu to version 7 I read here that there was something wrong with mouse support. Did anyone had a solution for it?

I ran into this problem too, it started with a specific Linux kernel 2.6.19 or something.  I don't know if its been fixed yet or not.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

SecretSoftware wrote:
    So I spent 3 hours trying the newly released Ubuntu 7.04, and I cant say I like it.

short and simple.

Thats what you get for trying a distros thats buggy and sucks. Ubuntu's packages come straight from Debian unstable and it shows.

On Fedora, I dont have any problems except, ofcourse, switching users (universal problem with all distros). X11 just loves to crash whenever I try to switch users with the AMD proprietary drivers. ACPI functions, such as hibernation only work half the time as well.

But I'm sure Ubuntu is a whole lot alot better than Nexenta. I'm trying the new alpha and it's buggier than hell. The "gnome-desktop-environment" package is broken and has unmet dependencies. So that means I cannot install Gnome from a console. Thats unaccepatable because the whole distribution is centered around Gnome.

However, the OpenSolaris tools and most other packages are fine. I'm gonna try the NetBSD port system instead of Nexenta's piece crap APT repository.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

SecretSoftware wrote:

short and simple.

I think Ubuntu needs another 100 years to become as good as Windows in the desktop.

Honest Opinion.

I want my 3 hours back.

The mouse, along with other features, does not work out of the box. Many Linux distributions are encountering the same problem with the mouse, apparently, because the kernal developers introduced a bug and released a new kernal without doing proper testing. Despite having many bugs, Microsoft would never release an OS with such a blatant bug (although the iTunes store bug that Vista caused comes close). It will take a while before Linux matches Windows XP.

• User profile image
    k2t0f12d

SecretSoftware wrote:

odujosh wrote:
    They had what 20 years now. There is a reason they are losing. Linux is good for server and coding hobbyist. Not for consumer desktops.

ZippyV wrote:

DigitalDud wrote:
    I ran into this problem too, it started with a specific Linux kernel 2.6.19 or something.  I don't know if its been fixed yet or not.

Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    Thats what you get for trying a distros thats buggy and sucks. Ubuntu's packages come straight from Debian unstable and it shows.

Shining Arcanine wrote:
    The mouse, along with other features, does not work out of the box. Many Linux distributions are encountering the same problem with the mouse, apparently, because the kernal developers introduced a bug and released a new kernal without doing proper testing. Despite having many bugs, Microsoft would never release an OS with such a blatant bug (although the iTunes store bug that Vista caused comes close). It will take a while before Linux matches Windows XP.

Works for me.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

Shining Arcanine wrote:
    (although the iTunes store bug that Vista caused comes close)

Since when is Microsoft responsible for bugs or others companies? Smiley

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

k2t0f12d wrote:

SecretSoftware wrote:

odujosh wrote:
    They had what 20 years now. There is a reason they are losing. Linux is good for server and coding hobbyist. Not for consumer desktops.

ZippyV wrote:

DigitalDud wrote:

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

Shining Arcanine wrote:

Works for me.

Does not work for me.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.