Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Rating Threads To Put Out The Flames

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sabot

OK here's opinion.

At C9 we have more than our fair share of threads that turn into flame wars.

Now I know C9 v4 will have a few features that will help so here is an idea that perhaps that can go into v4.5 as it's to late for the next release.

The idea is to allow users to use a slider at the head of the thread to rate if the subject is controversial. 0% not controversial at all to 100% completely controversial and needs the attention of a moderator. Why a slider? Well some people will say the content of a threat is controversial but won't be upset by the content, whilst other will have another opinion, this way it gives the moderator a guide rather than an absolute question which people will ignore.

This slider is just used as a moderator guide to highlight. Also if the thread has a high enough rating from fellow users you can decide whether to read it or not.

Good idea or rubbish ... be honest.

• User profile image
    phreaks

Sabot wrote:
    OK here's opinion.

Now I know C9 v4 will have a few features that will help so here is an idea that perhaps that can go into v4.5 as it's to late for the next release.

The idea is to allow users to use a slider at the head of the thread to rate if the subject is controversial. 0% not controversial at all to 100% completely controversial and needs the attention of a moderator. Why a slider? Well some people will say the content of a threat is controversial but won't be upset by the content, whilst other will have another opinion, this way it gives the moderator a guide rather than an absolute question which people will ignore.

This slider is just used as a moderator guide to highlight. Also if the thread has a high enough rating from fellow users you can decide whether to read it or not.

A good idea, but isn't it vulnerable to troll manipulation?

Trolls could just go on a sliding frenzy, sliding threads to consume and aggravate everyone, no?

• User profile image
    Sabot

phreaks wrote:

Sabot wrote:
    OK here's opinion.

A good idea, but isn't it vulnerable to troll manipulation?

Trolls could just go on a sliding frenzy, sliding threads to consume and aggravate everyone, no?

Agreed, this is why it is a guide ... and lets be honest there are more of us then there is of the trolls.

• User profile image
    eagle

Authentication is the answer, allowing trolls to have unlimited user names has been the downfall of channel9

• User profile image
    raymond

I like the idea and would have rated my two recently locked threads 100%.

However, I wish they would lock or rather delete the part of the post that is objectionable, instead of locking the entire thread.

On several occassions a good conversation or conversations gets going and then out of the blue a lock happens.  This annoys the Niners, me included.

Most threads on politics, religion, terrorism, and a person's death get locked quickly and in my humble opinion too quickly.

On average less then 3% of my posts are locked and I think the Microsoft moderators, at least in my case, are doing a good job.  That said, I am usually really PO at the time a lock happens, and in two cases in particular, I am still PO about the lock of the entire thread.

I am looking forward to see what Jeff and the Channel 9 Team have cooked up.

Just today I was wondering why you had not posted anything in a while.

Glad you are back posting. Smiley

Great Idea!

Cool

• User profile image
    stevo_

Personally I'd like a subtle democracy, the ability to ignore users, after say 10% of the active members population has ignored a specific user, its a small key to them being a bit of a (bad person).

As such, at this point, ever 8th word in their post title and body is replaced with a picture of either a: laughing baby, bouncy castle or the giant stay puft marshmallow man from ghostbusters.

This goes on until their entire post is replaced with a giant one of the three.

You could even break it down to demography, or reasons for being ignored.. like people who we're ignored often for foul language could have happy words inserted randomly in to their posts..

People who are ignored for overzealous OS rambling could have their posts reversed based upon a system that determines who they most idolize and most penalize...

Anyone?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.