Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Source control?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Chadk

I just heard the last issue of dotnetrocks, and im interrested in getting that running for my projects.

Do anyone know some good ones? The more opensource and .NET, the better(Opensource is good, but if its written in .NET its even better!)

I have been looking at vault. Its $300, but its supposed to be really good.
    Subversion is free and opensource, but written in C++ it seems.

What do you guys think?

• User profile image
    ben2004uk

Why does it have to be written in .NET ? I understand why you wouldn't want it in something like Java, but C++ should be OK?  I've used TFS, VSS, SVN, and CVS and I like SVN the best (apart from the lack of VS integration but you get used to that).  Heard good things about Vault.

I'm currently debating TFS (Orcas) vs SVN for my project,  I like the fact everything is out the box and integrated of TFS (once its installed) but SVN is lightweight and easy to use...

• User profile image
    dahat

I’m still dreaming of a TFS Express like product for home/enthusiast use one of these years… but if you aren’t to keen on spending any money, something like Subversion or CVS is going to be your best bet.

• User profile image
    JPeless

Vault is very solid and free for a single developer.

• User profile image
    sicRrh

On a related question, does anyone know if Team Foundation Server includes a source control solution?  I have used VSS in the past and found it to be less than perfect. 

Edit:  Ok, I know it is there...anyone used it?  How good is it?  Any problems?

• User profile image
    blowdart

sicRrh wrote:
    On a related question, does anyone know if Team Foundation Server includes a source control solution?  I have used VSS in the past and found it to be less than perfect. 

Edit:  Ok, I know it is there...anyone used it?  How good is it?  Any problems?

Not a problem with TFS but with the client. It just doesn't like being disconnected. If, for example, you're working on the train, forget adding new files, the TFS client when it can't talk to the server has massive problems doing that, and I've ended up having to copy new files out of the source tree, delete them whilst the client is active and talking to the server, then drag/drop them back in so I could finally add them

• User profile image
    Erisan

Git - Wikipedia
    Bazaar - Wikipedia
    SVN - Wikipedia
    CVS - Wikipedia

Personally I prefer Git. Git is used project like Linux Kernel and Xorg. SVN is much used on Open Source projects nowadays (KDE, GNOME, etc). Ubuntu uses Bazaar a lot.

• User profile image
    Chadk

ben2004uk wrote:

Why does it have to be written in .NET ? I understand why you wouldn't want it in something like Java, but C++ should be OK?  I've used TFS, VSS, SVN, and CVS and I like SVN the best (apart from the lack of VS integration but you get used to that).  Heard good things about Vault.

I'm currently debating TFS (Orcas) vs SVN for my project,  I like the fact everything is out the box and integrated of TFS (once its installed) but SVN is lightweight and easy to use...

If it happend to be opensource, it would be really nice if it were written in .NET Smiley C++ would work, but im not any good in C++.

I just tried installing Vault after finding out that its free for a single person. After a few hours of pain trying to install it, it seems to work. I like it.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

Tortoise SVN forever!

• User profile image
    blowdart

Ion Todirel wrote:
    Tortoise SVN forever!

Tortise is awful. Aside from it's constant integration with explorer (Oh, look, I can add the recyle bin to source control. WTF?! Just active on that particular directory) just try to create a new file, watch its status change to add, now, before comitting, rename it. Now commit. And watch it eat the repository, so you have to cleanup and manually delete the original filename via the respository browser.

Awful.

I'm sure SVN is a decent server; but I have yet to find a decent PC client.

• User profile image
    glebd

Chadk wrote:

ben2004uk wrote:

Why does it have to be written in .NET ? I understand why you wouldn't want it in something like Java, but C++ should be OK?

If it happend to be opensource, it would be really nice if it were written in .NET C++ would work, but im not any good in C++.

Why does this matter to you at all? It's not like you have to build it yourself or understand the source code in order to use it. And I doubt you would spend time rebuilding and tweaking it just for your project. You don't do that with the compilers you use, do you?

Subversion is quite good, I use it all the time, and the next version will be even better. Perforce is free for 2 developers.

I also like the fact that nobody suggests you to use Visual SourceSafe Smiley

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

I use VSS and for small projects, I've found it to do everything that is needed.  The issue with larger projects is when 2 or more people need to work on the same file, but other than that, it works just fine.

I believe there was also a visual studio client written for SVN called ahnk or ankh or some such combination of a, n, k, and h.

Seriously, if you don't need the extra features of SVN, and you are on a small team, just use VSS.

• User profile image
    catherine sea

Hi Chadk,

I recommend SourceAnywhere to you. It is SQL-based source control system. SourceAnywhere has both standalone and hosted editions. The home pages are:

http://www.dynamsoft.com/Products/SAWstandalone_Overview.aspx
    http://www.dynamsoft.com/Products/SAWhosted_Overview.aspx

You can take a look.

Thanks,

Catherine Sea
    www.dynamsoft.com
    the leading developer of version control and issue tracking software

• User profile image
    Rossj

Ion Todirel wrote:
    Tortoise SVN forever!

Bah, all the cool kids use VisualSVN integrated with VS.Net. Yes it is based on Tortoise .. but I bought a copy a while ago and it hasn't let me down yet.

• User profile image
    Erisan

Rossj wrote:

Bah, all the cool kids use VisualSVN integrated with VS.Net.

Sorry but cool kids doesn't use SVN at all ... Wink

I'm sure everyone has seen this already but it's pretty interesting and worth to watch:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

SVN is pretty good, except at a few edge cases.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

Please go here and here. Nudge, nudge!

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

blowdart wrote:

Not a problem with TFS but with the client. It just doesn't like being disconnected. If, for example, you're working on the train, forget adding new files, the TFS client when it can't talk to the server has massive problems doing that, and I've ended up having to copy new files out of the source tree, delete them whilst the client is active and talking to the server, then drag/drop them back in so I could finally add them

Had that issue with the 2005 client but have been using TFC-2008 with TFS2005 and it seems that the only thing it can't do offline now is handle renames.  Adds/Edit/Deletes are fine.

My biggest issue is that if you lose your connection to the TFS server *after* you open the project while conencted things go very wrong!  Used to have this while working on the train, connected to the TFS server over 3g, if you make a change while you have no signal, the change is lost.  These days I always offline the project first (also a pain as there is no 'Take Offline option'), make the changes and then bring it back online when I have a good connection.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.