Coffeehouse Thread

42 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

The Office (BBC version)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Red5

I just finished watching disk 1 of Season 1 of the BBS (original) version of The Office. VERY funny. Looking forward to disk 2. Anyone else share the same opinion?

• User profile image
    the-​laughing-man

Who are these BBS and what did they do with the BBC?!

• User profile image
    Red5

I'm all thumbs. Yes, the BBC of course. I'm so old I got my acronyms crossed. BBS (bulletin board system?) is something I connected to with my 300 baud modem on my Commodore64 about 21 years ago.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

The BBC version is a lot more caustic and depressingly funny. While I like the US version, the UK one is still my favourite.

• User profile image
    Ian

IMO a classic comedy, though not quite up there with Fawlty Towers. 

Have watched and enjoyed a few of the US versions but found I wasn't addicted to them in the same way as the original.

• User profile image
    Erisan

PaoloM wrote:
    The BBC version is a lot more caustic and depressingly funny. While I like the US version, the UK one is still my favourite.

Heh, agreed. NBC version isn't bad, but BBC version is incredible funny.
    David Brent

• User profile image
    Tensor

I actually could not watch it, it was that painfully funny and true to life.

What was even worse was watching it, going to work the next day and hearing the all-too Brent-like managers laughing about it.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Tensor wrote:
    I actually could not watch it, it was that painfully funny and true to life.

I actually missed the whole first series first time around because I just found it too stressful to watch; too much embarrassment!
    I got into it for the second series and waited for the first to be repeated (didn't take long).

Extras was good too.

Herbie

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

While I haven't seen the British or the American version, I do have the DVD's of 'Het Eiland' (The Island), a Belgian series inspired by the Office. I've watched it many times and I still think they're hillarious. Protput.

• User profile image
    Bas

On a less cynical level, but still amusing for IT workers: The IT Crowd, from Channel 4.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

I haven't seen enough of the BBC office to form an opinion. I like the US one but at times the situations become very uncomfortable.

Schrutebucks!

• User profile image
    jamie

Generic Forum Image   david brent's long lost cousin? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

OMG, if I look closely, I can definitely see similarities. We have the same fat nose and chubby facial features. Thanks for the laugh, Jamie.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Yeah you look like him Tongue Out

The IT crowd rocks
    Peeps Show is THE best
    Extras is stupidly funny - but awesome all the same
    The Office is kindof weird... ive never really sat down to watch it. The ones i have seen are hilarious though.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Scott.​Esbrandt

jamie wrote:
    Generic Forum Image   david brent's long lost cousin?

wow. there is an uncanny similarity here.  I can relate, I've been compared to Garreth Keenan many times, I dont have a picture to share though at the moment. 

The BBC Office is so funny, Ricky Gervais is a genius, I dont know how he can deliver his lines with a straight face sometimes.  The US Version is pretty good, but lacks the real "mockumentary" feel.  The US version characters seem like actors, whereas the BBC versions characters seem like real people being filmed, which makes the absurdity of what goes on that much more entertaining.

• User profile image
    Red5

...and I noticed the BBC version allows a few naughty words that make the U.S. censors cringe.

• User profile image
    Sampy

We stole the IT Crowd too. It's coming this fall to NBC.

Thanks guys! Smiley

• User profile image
    Sabot

If you enjoyed 'The Office' I think you will really enjoy 'Peep Show' which is in the same kind of genre.

Mitchell & Webb are differently a new set of comedians for you guys state side to look out for.

They also have a feature length film out soon to look out for called Magicians which I'm going to see tonight.

British comedy at the moment is looking pretty good but I have to say that we could learn a lot from the USA about how to do decent drama's. Things like 24, House, BSG, Prison Break are just brilliant! Our dramas seem to have lost that gritty punch and the important human story, the best we have produced in years is 'Life on Mars' and thats because it really played on the nostalgia and cult thing rather than good plot.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.