Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Threads Not Read

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Angus

I have become slightly annoyed recently as it seems that on Channel 9, the threads I read are not marked with the darker icon to show that there are no new posts in them.

I have tried this in Firefox and Internet Explorer 7 to no avail, and I have also cleared the cache, cookies, etc. just to see if it helped (it didn't).

Is this happening to anyone else?

How do I sort it out? (It is really impeding on my ability to use Channel 9) Tongue Out

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Massif

I've just noticed this for the first time today.

Posts I've replied to appear to be marked though... Hmmm...

Curious, and annoying.

• User profile image
    Angus

Massif wrote:
    I've just noticed this for the first time today.

Posts I've replied to appear to be marked though... Hmmm...

Curious, and annoying.

Yeah, exactly the same for me.

(The only solution is to reply to everything Tongue Out).

I am sort of annoyed as I like to have everything marked "read" so that I can only read threads that have new things in them when I next refresh.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    mcampbell

Same goes for me...

screencoffeehouse

• User profile image
    Massif

In case any of this stuff is relevant, I'm using IE7 on XP SP2, logging in using Cookies and I tend to visit c9 from many different computers (all logged in using Cookies)

Although I guess that's probably a common combination for most niners.

• User profile image
    k2t0f12d

Angus wrote:
    I have become slightly annoyed recently as it seems that on Channel 9, the threads I read are not marked with the darker icon to show that there are no new posts in them.

I have tried this in Firefox and Internet Explorer 7 to no avail, and I have also cleared the cache, cookies, etc. just to see if it helped (it didn't).

Is this happening to anyone else?

How do I sort it out? (It is really impeding on my ability to use Channel 9)

Angus Higgins

Confirmed.  Noticed last night that only threads to which I posted would have their status icon faded out, but threads I only read would remain as if with new posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Same here in Opera 9.20. It worked fine yesterday.

• User profile image
    Angus

k2t0f12d wrote:
    Noticed last night

Yeah, it was the same for me.

At first it just didn't seem to pick up the fact I had read the threads for a while (i.e. it would eventually [on the third or fourth "read"] change the icon). After that, it began not changing the icons at all.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Same here, but im logging in from another computer so i cant be sure...

Its really annoying.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

If i post it goes grey, but if someone posts after me and i read it it turns back gold. Fix it!!!

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Duncanma

Nothing to do with your browser... I broke this guys... and I'll fix it up for you soon!

If you are interested in why, I added a couple minutes of caching into the system around post retrieval and that means that when you are viewing a post we are no longer making a database call to retrieve it... and that retrieval call was where it was marking it as read.

I'll get it back to the way it was as soon as I can.

• User profile image
    k2t0f12d

Duncanma wrote:
    Nothing to do with your browser... I broke this guys... and I'll fix it up for you soon!

That sonovah!  Crucify him!  Wink

• User profile image
    Duncanma

and... it should be fixed now... please reply here to let me know if it is working as expected!

Sorry about that guys, we were seeing some crazy CPU usage on the SQL box and my fix had some unintended side affects

• User profile image
    Angus

It seems to be fixed for me. Thanks. Smiley

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    k2t0f12d

Duncanma wrote:
    and... it should be fixed now... please reply here to let me know if it is working as expected!

Sorry about that guys, we were seeing some crazy CPU usage on the SQL box and my fix had some unintended side affects

Confirmed works.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Dang, I noticed this yesterday, and I thought it was a problem with my client Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.