Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Macs OSX and hackers' incentives

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    JohnAskew

Despite what the Cult of Mac tells you Macs are not 100% safe.

A security researcher named Dino Dai Zovi took home a $10,000 prize for remotely hijacking a MacBook Pro.

It took less than 10 hours to discover a security hole in Quicktime and set up a Web page to exploit it.

Also, January was The Month of Apple Bugs as a pair of hackers revealed a new security hole in the OS for each day.

In February the first worm virus for OSX was discovered.

From PC World

• User profile image
    Rossj

I love how they had to pay to get what most hackers do on Windows for free Smiley It would be naive to think OSX was invulnerable, but I would point out that the remote exploit challenge failed - and they had to resort to going for exploits based on a user visiting a page - so be default it doesn't appear to be easily exploitable remotely. The hole has since been fixed (in Java/Quicktime). The Jan exploits were pointless a third of them were third party apps, but did bring home to Apple, I think, that the flaws are there, and people will find them. But really, who thinks that the Mac is invulnerable, certainly safer than other OS' but not invulnerable.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Massif wrote:

We all know the truth here, Windows is as secure as a well locked up house in a really rough neighbourhood, apple is as secure as an unlocked cottage in a leafy country village

What a fantastic analogy.  Nice one.  I hope you don't mind if I ever use it ...

Herbie

• User profile image
    Massif

MoAB was probably a bad example because a lot of there bugs were in third party apps.

You know the reason you don't get common exploits from Mac bugs are threefold.

1 - Virii need a certain population size to be viable.
    2 - Exploit writers are motivated by money, windows = more hits for the same effort.
    3 - People like to attack MS, whether they be Virus writers or Journalists or random bloggers.

We all know the truth here, Windows is as secure as a well locked up house in a really rough neighbourhood, apple is as secure as an unlocked cottage in a leafy country village, and linux is as secure as an ordinary house in a commune.

Either way, no-one is perfectly secure.

So why are you mentioning this now? Just curious, because it looks like it's a troll-paper post. (like fly paper, but more flame retardent.)

[edit: before I'm misconstrued I don't mean to imply that apple are unsecure, merely that the security you get from being on a mac is more related to relative obscurity and a lack of profit in hacking macs than macs inherently being incredibly secure. I know that Macs are pretty secure thankyouverymuch.]

• User profile image
    Massif

Feel free.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.