Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista SP1 spotted in the wild!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

Neowin and WinFuture.de have reported that Microsoft had a first version of the SP1 (pre-pre-alpha or similar) installed on a PC at WinHEC. They used that version to showcase a new technology called "Windows Rally"! Windows Rally is going to make it easier to connect to external devices of any kind. WinFuture guesses that the SP1 is going to include that new technology for the first time...

The two screenshots:

• User profile image
    ZippyV

littleguru wrote:
    Microsoft had a first version of the SP1 (pre-pre-alpha or similar)

It's called Windows Longhorn Server Beta 3. When Windows Server goes gold the enhancements made to it will go back to Vista.

• User profile image
    eagle

Windows Update will have all the bits, so for those of us running Vista there will be no SP1.

Anyone who buys a new PC at Christmas will have all the updates installed.

• User profile image
    littleguru

eagle wrote:
    Windows Update will have all the bits, so for those of us running Vista there will be no SP1.

Anyone who buys a new PC at Christmas will have all the updates installed.

I wonder if it's going to be just a load of fixes or also new features, like SP2 for XP.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Zippy and eagle, I wouldn't make any assumptions just yet Smiley

• User profile image
    ZippyV

When I look at the version string of Windows LH server beta 3 I see: "Build 6001, Service Pack 1". It's not an assumption.

There could be new features in there but I'm not saying anything about that.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

ZippyV wrote:
    When I look at the version string of Windows LH server beta 3 I see: "Build 6001, Service Pack 1". It's not an assumption.

I was talking more about the "rolling back" part Smiley

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

PaoloM wrote:

ZippyV wrote:

I was talking more about the "rolling back" part

what do you mean?

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

PaoloM wrote:

ZippyV wrote:

I was talking more about the "rolling back" part

Actually, they have publicly stated that Vista Service Pack 1 and Longhorn Server will be built from the same code base, and that code tree will be the primary tree going forward.  Unless they've changed their minds since then, but I doubt they have (that's a pretty big thing to say in public if you're not sure about it).

• User profile image
    PaoloM

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    Actually, they have publicly stated that Vista Service Pack 1 and Longhorn Server will be built from the same code base, and that code tree will be the primary tree going forward.  Unless they've changed their minds since then, but I doubt they have (that's a pretty big thing to say in public if you're not sure about it).

Yep. There's no "rolling back" going on, it's all the same codebase...

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

PaoloM wrote:

What do you mean?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

It's all the same codebase.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

PaoloM wrote:

We already know that.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

SecretSoftware wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

We already know that.

Ok, so what do you mean by "what do you mean"? Smiley

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

The changes made in LHS source tree will be merged into Vista SP1, and I think the "rolling back" thing is a confusion over terminology.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

PaoloM wrote:

SecretSoftware wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

We already know that.

Ok, so what do you mean by "what do you mean"?

I just was confused about "Rolling back". Rolling back usually means to undo something. Like reverting to previous state or something along those lines.Cool

• User profile image
    footballism

SecretSoftware wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

SecretSoftware wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

We already know that.

Ok, so what do you mean by "what do you mean"?

I just was confused about "Rolling back". Rolling back usually means to undo something. Like reverting to previous state or something along those lines.

I think using "retrofit" is much more appropriate in this semantical context:D

Sheva

• User profile image
    ZippyV

PaoloM wrote:

Ow jeez guys. Of course I meant that Vista SP1 will be on the same codebase as Server. I said 'go' back not rolling back.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.