Coffeehouse Thread

27 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Question: Starting New Threads in Coffeehouse About Videos.  Why?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Human​Compiler

Hey everyone,

I have a quick question.  I noticed this thread Re: Popfly.  This isn't the first thread I've seen about a video that was started in the Coffeehouse.  My questions are around why you all do this:

• Do you believe people aren't watching the videos, but are hanging out in the Coffeehouse?
    • Do you think the topic will go off course?
    • Is there a difference with threads in the Coffeehouse vs. on videos?  If so, what?

I'd just like to understand more about how you guys use Video threads vs. Coffeehouse threads and why?  Thanks!  Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

different set of users in the coffeehouse

i rarely go to c9.msdn.com - i come straight to coffeehouse

If you comment on the main video page - it just gets buried there (it doesnt cycle like CH does

ps - i thought you were going to say we now support embed for ANY video in CH!

• User profile image
    CplCarrot

From my time stamps it looks like Eagle beat the video by some 6 hours.

Charlie

• User profile image
    phreaks

Same here, I enter through the coffeehouse via bookmark, barely visit the front (maybe every other day or so).

• User profile image
    littleguru

jamie wrote:
    different set of users in the coffeehouse

i rarely go to c9.msdn.com - i come straight to coffeehouse

If you comment on the main video page - it just gets buried there (it doesnt cycle like CH does

ps - i thought you were going to say we now support embed for ANY video in CH!

I'm also going straight to the coffeehouse. It would be cool if the videos would show up here too (the thread being here, not just somewhere in the sidebar)...

It's also that the audience is different. Some people only hit the homepage to see if new videos are available. These are people visiting C9 from time to time. People here are more involved. The discussion here is different. In the Coffeehouse thread people whimmed about not being invited (like Chadk) or told that they got an invite (like me, yay!)... I didn't like to post that in the homepage thread, for example.

• User profile image
    anand.t

I come to channel9.msdn.com. Hover the mouse over forums and choose on of the three main links there. Probably video should be added there. But I dont miss new vidoes as I come from the front page

• User profile image
    eagle

My Coffeehouse thread preceded the posting of the video, the early bird catches the worm once again.

A few weeks ago I had the scoop on the public beta of Windows Server 2008 ahead of the posting of the video on C9.

• User profile image
    littleguru

eagle wrote:
    My Coffeehouse thread preceded the posting of the video, the early bird catches the worm once again.

A few weeks ago I had the scoop on the public beta of Windows Server 2008 ahead of the posting of the video on C9.

You seem to read a lot of blogs Wink

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

Because there is a perception that more people hang out in the Coffeehouse and not the videos.

It would be better if the forums were organized in a way where you can see everything from one page.

Like a side bar where you can see the top 3 stuff in each forum or something to make updates more transparent per forum.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

I also go straight to the coffeehouse.

The video threads seem to stay on topic better, are more professional (unless you insult the host Smiley), and are much more likely to get a response from MS employee. I believe if video threads started in the coffeehouse none of this would occur except for the last part and the ms employee would be Chazz telling people to behave.

• User profile image
    Charles

The video thread appeared after the Coffeehouse thread. There's nothting wrong with cross-thread linking from forum to forum. For the Coffeehouse Crew, it's probably a good thing for them to be made aware of the existence of some media that will most likely be of interest to them.

What would be cool would be if we had some mechanism whereby related media appears for tagged text content (so, imagine a thread in TechOff tagged with "Silverlight" that displays all related media threads along the side of the view...).

C

• User profile image
    blowdart

I don't have time to watch the videos. I wish there were transcripts; then I would know if there was something I really wanted to watch.

• User profile image
    jamie

well it seems lots of people come straight to coffeehouse - so as mentioned in other thread - www.channel9.ms = coffeehouse - *faster to type as it's shorter Smiley

*jeff sand registered it

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

Understood for everyone who mentioned that the thread came before the video.  I didn't notice.  It just spawned the question in general (because it has happened many times).

Good to know everyone comes to the coffeehouse first.  That means we have a good answer to that coming up.

SecretSoftware wrote:

Like a side bar where you can see the top 3 stuff in each forum or something to make updates more transparent per forum.

That's it!  Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

Charles wrote:

What would be cool would be if we had some mechanism whereby related media appears for tagged text content (so, imagine a thread in TechOff tagged with "Silverlight" that displays all related media threads along the side of the view...).

C

or...

coffeehouse becomes the homepage - (still called coffeehouse) and you post embed videos there like normal

= one forum = bring in all the passers by - into the free wheeling world of CH - but - that has received a good credability injection by the actual C9 videos being posted here

The frontpage could not even change - and still have it separate - the main change would be to just use Sticky coffeehouse theads for front door. and display comments for those threads on frontdoor like now - but it simultaniously appears in coffeehouse.

basically stop using videos forum - and sticky certain threads from ch on frontdoor

(there must have been a quicker way to say that Tongue Out)

edit: errr wait... then coffeehouse would be overrun with videos...  nevermind

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

jamie, i can tell you already the coffeehouse won't be the homepage.  sorry.  Wink

One thing you get at though is happening.  Videos, Screencasts, Podcasts, etc are all in one area called "Media" now with the ability to filter by type if you'd like.  /Media will be the url and it will be in the menu just like it is now.  There will still be permalinks for types, but they'll just be permalinks to auto apply the filters like /Media/Videos, /Media/Screencasts, /Media/Podcasts, etc.

The Coffeehouse is a totally separate beast and will continue to be.  Smiley

/Forums will be setup so there's the list of forums and the last 3 updated threads in each of them.

• User profile image
    littleguru

HumanCompiler wrote:
    jamie, i can tell you already the coffeehouse won't be the homepage.  sorry. 

One thing you get at though is happening.  Videos, Screencasts, Podcasts, etc are all in one area called "Media" now with the ability to filter by type if you'd like.  /Media will be the url and it will be in the menu just like it is now.  There will still be permalinks for types, but they'll just be permalinks to auto apply the filters like /Media/Videos, /Media/Screencasts, /Media/Podcasts, etc.

The Coffeehouse is a totally separate beast and will continue to be. 

/Forums will be setup so there's the list of forums and the last 3 updated threads in each of them.

Could we get a user/niner setting, that does automatically redirect to the Coffeehouse (if activated) when we enter http://channel9.msdn.com?

entering http://channel9.msdn.com/ would result in:
    http://channel9.msdn.com/home/ when the setting is disabled and
    http://channel9.msdn.com/forums/coffeehouse/ when the setting is enabled.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

HumanCompiler wrote:
    Understood for everyone who mentioned that the thread came before the video.  I didn't notice.  It just spawned the question in general (because it has happened many times).

Good to know everyone comes to the coffeehouse first.  That means we have a good answer to that coming up.

SecretSoftware wrote:

That's it! 

Or another suggestion is that, to generate an aggregator forum, where the threads from all other forums intermix, and you can get a holistic view of them.

Also, one can use a color system to color threads, based on their content. Basically spare other C9 users, the trouble of checking a trollish thread.

Give really good threads, blue color (in font as they appear in the forum) and gray for uninteresting. Red for admins posts.

So color can be used to measure how hot a topic is or how trollish it is.

Just another suggestion.Cool

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.