Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Web Hosting

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

As those of you who read my blog know, I'm planning on getting my own website. I already have a blog (lloydhumphreys.wordpress.com) so I'm hoping to get a proper web page without the wordpress.

I'm going to primeraly use it as a blog, so I'm going to explore WordPress to see if i can simply upgrade my account.

Really, I'm just asking for your views on the best web provider

Got to be

Cheap (Less than £10 a month)
    Cheerful (Smiley)
    Simple (as in, quick to get up + running/change)

Any suggestions?

Lloyd

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

£10 a month is a lot. You can get good hosting for £1 a month.

But it depends what you're looking for, though.

"Secure / Cheap / Features

Choose two"

....that's the general rule of hosting.

And overall, Windows costs about 25% more than Linux hosting, the cheapest "good" Windows shared hosting packages are about £5 a month (don't expect any SQL Server, however, but maybe MySQL, if you're lucky).

A "developer grade" hosting package starts at around £10 a month, for that you'll get a good share of bandwidth (at least 50GB/month) and a SQL Server database.

Beyond £20 a month, it's worth looking into renting your own dedicated server. That way you get full control (but be prepared to spend a few hours every month doing maintenance). Plus you can rent out space to other people so the server can pay for itself (it's what I do, so let me know if you're interested in me hosting your site, here's my ratecard from last year).

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Might take you up on that actually - All i need is the ability to have 1-10 pages of downloads (apps ive made etc.) and a quick blogging facility. Can I create a site using Popfly WebPage Creator and then just import it onto your server etc.

(I've not really gotten into the web, surfing and HTML is the extent of my skills in that direction... might teach myself ASP.NET sometime though)

How much every 6 months exactly?

PS: Just got a phishing email off a Mr. Sha Kira. Laughed myself silly Smiley

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    Might take you up on that actually - All i need is the ability to have 1-10 pages of downloads (apps ive made etc.) and a quick blogging facility. Can I create a site using Popfly WebPage Creator and then just import it onto your server etc.

IRT downloads: yes
    popfly: from the looks of things, yes

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

How much every 6 months exactly?

$7USD * 6 months, not hard math Smiley

$42 for every 6 months, or $84USD or £42GBP per year.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

Check out your ISP. It often happens that you get some free space on their web servers if you subscribe to their service.

The other option is to make your own server and leave computer 24/7. I am soon going to do that on dedicated openbsd server, but you can do it on your own Windows machine with IIS (if you got pro versions) or Apache for Windows. Big Smile

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

£42 a year... looking good Smiley Thing is, now ive just got to wait for £42 to come along. Though I'm sure taking down a couple of trees with my dad would suffice...

Last modified
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

RoyalSchrubber wrote:
    Check out your ISP. It often happens that you get some free space on their web servers if you subscribe to their service.

The other option is to make your own server and leave computer 24/7. I am soon going to do that on dedicated openbsd server, but you can do it on your own Windows machine with IIS (if you got pro versions) or Apache for Windows.

Doubt thats an option... maybe next xmas when I get another pc (which I'll hook up to my TV, and that will be my main pc etc. then i can leave my old one on 24/7 (well, not old, 12months))

Plus my parents wouldnt be able to sleep, this thing hums like a ... something that hums. A bee maybe - but they're too quiet.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    anand.t

I used a site called crystaltech.net. Pretty good for 2.95$. There are other decent hosters here

http://asp.net/Hosters/

On the right hand side, you have an option to filter by price Smiley

• User profile image
    blowdart

For asp.net I'm pretty happy with discountasp.net; although I don't like that I must use their DNS servers. They also have free IIS7 beta hosting

And I have a referral link should you feel like it, but I won't spam it unless someone asks for it, heh

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

I'm just checking everything out at the moment, so spam away Smiley

Last modified
  • User profile image
    blowdart

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    I'm just checking everything out at the moment, so spam away

discountasp.net referral link

And yes, this will give me money Smiley

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

So if i click 10000000 times it will give you a couple of $$$

Last modified
  • User profile image
    blowdart

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

So if i click 10000000 times it will give you a couple of $$$

Hah no you have to sign up with them

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Whats to stop you putting the link on a site then telling everyone you know to go and click on it? Or clicking on it yourself, or writing a program that masks your IP and clicks it a load of times bringing in dosh? Perplexed

Last modified
  • User profile image
    blowdart

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    Whats to stop you putting the link on a site then telling everyone you know to go and click on it? Or clicking on it yourself, or writing a program that masks your IP and clicks it a load of times bringing in dosh?

The fact that you have to sign up for an account before I get anything?

• User profile image
    ben2004uk

Nothing, and thats the problem with Google's AdSense and Click Fraud.  However, with DiscountASP you would just be wasting bandwidth as you need to signup as mentioned....

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    Whats to stop you putting the link on a site then telling everyone you know to go and click on it? Or clicking on it yourself, or writing a program that masks your IP and clicks it a load of times bringing in dosh?

Well goolgle prohibits suggesting people to click their ads. And trust me, they can detect 'automatic clicking' Tongue Out If I remember correctly that's why some bloggers don't want to appear on digg - they get to many clicks per minute. Smiley

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

blowdart wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

The fact that you have to sign up for an account before I get anything?

Oh right goddit Smiley

Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.