Coffeehouse Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

These Linux People Are A Hoot

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    SCMcDonnell

    I have to admit, I am getting a kick out of some the posts regarding the coming tide of Linux desktops to the market.  Don't get me wrong, I have respect for Mr. Torvalds (saw him speak in Chicago a few times and the man is beyond brilliant), but the idea that this is the year of the "Other OS" because of Dell's move to start selling Linux desktops just isn't the reality that people want to make it.

    Dell, as an entity, is really suffering this year and while some people want to blame it on Vista, Microsoft, etc. it really comes down to a lack of leadership of innovation.  Adding Linux to their repertoire is not really innovation as much as it is a desperate attempt to gain attention in a business that is slowly becoming like the grocery business (whereas computer-sales will be come a thin-margined yet neccessary business like the sale of food and groceries).

    From a pure business perspective, if you take a look at the performance of DELL versus other companies in the same industry like HP, etc., the truth is that DELL's market cap is declining severely whereas HP's market share is experiencing rapid growth.

    Honestly, I think if Linux were to truly gain amongst the Windows OS it would be really good for Microsoft for a number of different reasons.  First, competition is ALWAYS a good thing.  Second, it's always good for people to see Linux in action and undoubtedly come to the conclusion that there is a reason Microsoft Windows is the best.

    Respectfully,

    SM

  • User profile image
    Ray6

    SCMcDonnell wrote:
    I have to admit, I am getting a kick out of some the posts regarding the coming tide of Linux desktops to the market.  Don't get me wrong, I have respect for Mr. Torvalds (saw him speak in Chicago a few times and the man is beyond brilliant), but the idea that this is the year of the "Other OS" because of Dell's move to start selling Linux desktops just isn't the reality that people want to make it.


    Unfortunately, it isn't. Dell needs to do anything to shift boxes while it follows Apple down the consumer electronics route. They seem to have mistaken a few thousand FOSS fanatics replying to their website, for a viable market. The good thing is that as far as Dell is concerned, it is a win-no-lose situation. If they shift a few boxes, then it's all good; if not, then they don't really lose anything.
    Something else worth pointing out in defence of Dell, is that they do seem to realise that this is not really something worth spending a whole lot money on. They are a three days from launch, and I have to say that the marketing effort isn't what I'd call spectacular.

    SCMcDonnell wrote:
    
    Dell, as an entity, is really suffering this year and while some people want to blame it on Vista, Microsoft, etc. it really comes down to a lack of leadership of innovation.  Adding Linux to their repertoire is not really innovation as much as it is a desperate attempt to gain attention in a business that is slowly becoming like the grocery business (whereas computer-sales will be come a thin-margined yet neccessary business like the sale of food and groceries).


    Indeed, the problem is that they had no plan to cope with already razor thin margins that are becoming even thinner. Apple has chic marketing and the consumer line; Dell is only now taking the first steps to switch over.

    SCMcDonnell wrote:
    
    Honestly, I think if Linux were to truly gain amongst the Windows OS it would be really good for Microsoft for a number of different reasons.  First, competition is ALWAYS a good thing.  Second, it's always good for people to see Linux in action and undoubtedly come to the conclusion that there is a reason Microsoft Windows is the best.


    Yes, MS has a habit of resting back on its laurels until something competitive comes along to give them a good swift kick in the groin. Then they scramble around looking for an edge, then come up with stuff like WHS and PopFly. So as long as Linux is around, then MS has an incentive to keep fighting.

  • User profile image
    andokai

    Ray6 wrote:
    The good thing is that as far as Dell is concerned, it is a win-no-lose situation. If they shift a few boxes, then it's all good; if not, then they don't really lose anything.
    Something else worth pointing out in defence of Dell, is that they do seem to realise that this is not really something worth spending a whole lot money on. They are a three days from launch, and I have to say that the marketing effort isn't what I'd call spectacular.


    I would have to question the idea that Dell didn't spend much. I'm sure they are going to have to support Linux running on their machines which means testing their hardware and writing the necessary drivers and of course training their support staff to deal with the huge amount of calls wondering why their printer, scanner etc. doesn't work with their new machine. Oh and of course someone to man the complaints line and hear how distro X sux and that they should be using distro Y. Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.