Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

WHS: Chipping away at the Linux home server market?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray6

George Ou has weighed in with an opinion on Microsoft's fortunes in the home server market, which is currently dominated by Linux.

Offering benefits such as bare-PC client recovery, single-instance backup storage, remote access and home automation support in a consumer oriented package, it's no wonder that LaCie has already jumped on board.

The question is, how many more will follow?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Hmm not so sure about his printing comments. Simply because I can't get the flipping printing to work on my Lexmark

• User profile image
    Bas

He may have a point. There are plenty of good Linux home server solutions, but you still have to be pretty knowledgable in order to set them up. That's quite a big hurdle for a lot of people, one that can be taken away by simply going to a store, buying an HP Mediasmart server, plugging it into your router and running the connector CD once on every desktop.

Although I'm not sure about the 'chipping away' at the Linux HS market. The people who'll buy a WHS weren't necessarily going to go for a DIY Linux solution otherwise. It may very well be opening the market up for different people rather than taking people away from the Lunux market.

• User profile image
    Massif

Bas wrote:

Although I'm not sure about the 'chipping away' at the Linux HS market. The people who'll buy a WHS weren't necessarily going to go for a DIY Linux solution otherwise. It may very well be opening the market up for different people rather than taking people away from the Lunux market.

Not all Linux home servers are homebrew, there are a few "NAS on steroid"* type products that could be called home servers, running embedded linux, which are very much consumer friendly.

*You know the ones I mean, storage, plus printing and maybe web serving or similar

• User profile image
    Ray6

Bas wrote:
    He may have a point. There are plenty of good Linux home server solutions, but you still have to be pretty knowledgable in order to set them up. That's quite a big hurdle for a lot of people, one that can be taken away by simply going to a store, buying an HP Mediasmart server, plugging it into your router and running the connector CD once on every desktop.

That's the thing though. A lot of these home NAS boxes (like the Maxtor one I have) actually run Linux. Since they are administered through a web interface, or a proprietary Windows client, most folk never see the Linux OS.

Now we have the WHS that can also be used for these home NAS boxes. Now the likes of LaCie can allow Microsoft to provide the bulk of the functionality that they had to come up with (or just didn't bother) themselves, and focus on the stuff that differentiates their products.

The home automation stuff will be the real kicker. 

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.