Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Question - Will Silverlight come to C9?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    intrepid

I know there is a port on these forums suggesting that it's a good idea - but no-one has said "Yeah, it's coming soon!"

I love channel 9, and would like to see the site spiffed up with a silverlight overhaul. It would make the whole site so much more engaging and allow for many new features (even if I can't think of one right now...).

Yes - I know it doesn't support Linux, but there could be a 'simple site' for Linux users, or a "Click here to download the video" option for those that can't run Silverlight.

• User profile image
    anand.t

someone from the team said "it is obvious".       

• User profile image
    Ray6

intrepid wrote:
    but there could be a 'simple site' for Linux users

How strangely poetic ... Smiley

But there is some kind of Silverlight clone being developed by the Mono chap. If he does a good job, then it may not be such a big problem for them.

• User profile image
    blowdart

intrepid wrote:

I love channel 9, and would like to see the site spiffed up with a silverlight overhaul. It would make the whole site so much more engaging and allow for many new features (even if I can't think of one right now...).

How would bloat and pretty spinners make the site more engaging?

And the fact that you can't think of new feature is rather telling.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

blowdart wrote:

intrepid wrote:

I have to go with Blowdart with this one:  features first, technology second.

Herbie

• User profile image
    mtz

this post made me think something i never thought before ..could it be that all the video arent embeded in flash because its not ms technology? ..its a bit off that C9 doesnt have an option to play the videos in flash ..only downloading them or streaming them to a stand alone player ..

is this true or i am just running a conspiracy theory here?

• User profile image
    blowdart

mtz wrote:

this post made me think something i never thought before ..could it be that all the video arent embeded in flash because its not ms technology? ..its a bit off that C9 doesnt have an option to play the videos in flash ..only downloading them or streaming them to a stand alone player ..

Why? What more does flash give you? Media Player for the Mac, and it's replacement suport mms streams. It's better quality, better bandwidth control. Why a conspiracy when franking streaming is a better option that downsizing and loosing quality like you see on YouTube

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

intrepid wrote:
    Yes - I know it doesn't support Linux, but there could be a 'simple site' for Linux users, or a "Click here to download the video" option for those that can't run Silverlight.

So that's the new troll filter. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    mtz

blowdart wrote:

mtz wrote:

Why? What more does flash give you? Media Player for the Mac, and it's replacement suport mms streams. It's better quality, better bandwidth control. Why a conspiracy when franking streaming is a better option that downsizing and loosing quality like you see on YouTube

one of the post above me said  "someone from the team said "it is obvious". " so if its obvious for silverlight will be used ...why not flash?

i agree though, watching them on a stand alone player is much better than on a webpage because it will force me to always have a tab open for that page and i can continue to surf the web and watch the video at the same time ..

• User profile image
    Minh

blowdart wrote:

mtz wrote:

Weren't you complaining that that we should have OGG support without downloading a new player?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Minh wrote:

blowdart wrote:

mtz wrote:

Weren't you complaining that that we should have OGG support without downloading a new player?

Ogg has advantages. Flash for video delivery has major disadvantages Smiley

• User profile image
    Boomport

Dr Herbie wrote:

blowdart wrote:

intrepid wrote:

I have to go with Blowdart with this one:  features first, technology second.

Herbie

I go with Herbie and Blowdart to.  Features and Reliability.  As a developer though, I know I can't come up with all the best idea's.  They seem to come from discussions and using something.  It would be nice if Channel 9 had a beta site (Maybe they do and I just wasn't invited - Another conspiricy theory:) that we could go kick the tires on.  Say update it every month or so like CTP's, instead of just dropping the finished product:(

• User profile image
    Minh

blowdart wrote:

Ogg has advantages. Flash for video delivery has major disadvantages
    Those poor disadvantaged guys at YouTube. They're disadvantaging all the way to the bank Smiley

Re: streaming efficiency, most C9 videos works just as good as MP3.

But here's my C9 video experience of FireFox. When I click on the mms: link, FF is confused and doesn't know how to handle that protocol. I even set up the protocol handler in FF -- not sure why it doesn't work.

When I click on the http: link, FF offers to download it for me -- or to open up WMP once the download is complete. It's so nice.

I see less hope for FLV on C9 though, with Silverlight streaming already here.

• User profile image
    Randolpho

Minh wrote:

blowdart wrote:

Ogg has advantages. Flash for video delivery has major disadvantages
    Those poor disadvantaged guys at YouTube. They're disadvantaging all the way to the bank

I'm certainly not pushing Ogg here, but... Flash video *does* have disadvantages, most notably in terms of quality.

YouTube chose Flash video as a least common denominator. Flash is ubiquitous, and, ultimately, cheaper in terms of bandwidth.  In YouTube's case, they wanted to make their videos as easy to use/view as possible as cheaply as possible.

That doesn't mean Flash video is always the best choice.

• User profile image
    Minh

Randolpho wrote:

I'm certainly not pushing Ogg here, but... Flash video *does* have disadvantages, most notably in terms of quality.

I have to think that this is a cost control issue, not encoder quality issue. If YouTube is running up $1 million / month of bandwidth bill, then they would want the stream to be as short as possible.

The FLV encoder must have a quality control meter just like every other video encoder out there.

• User profile image
    Randolpho

Minh wrote:

Randolpho wrote:

I have to think that this is a cost control issue, not encoder quality issue. If YouTube is running up $1 million / month of bandwidth bill, then they would want the stream to be as short as possible.

Agreed.

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

Re: Will Silverlight come to C9?

Yes!  The inline player will be replaced with a Silverlight player.  This will allow us to drop encoding streaming mp4's (this is only on Channel 10 right now) so encoding for our videos will take less time.  It will also give Firefox users a consistent experience with IE users.  Same thing for other browsers Silverlight supports.

Re: What about Linux?

Unfortunately, Linux will have the same experience it does today on our site.  You must download the appropriate file to watch videos.  However, we will have more formats available than we have today (like MP4).

Re: What about other features on C9 using Silverlight?

We currently have no plans for other features on the site using Silverlight.  We have a few ideas, but they have no priority right now.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.