Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Windows Vs Mac OS Vs Linux Question...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Jung

First of all, I'm not slating either operating system, just discussing them...
    I don't have vast ammounts of experience with linux, or mac os and so I find myself sticking to windows most of the time. It what I am the most proficient at, and so I can complete tasks in atleast half the time in a windows enviroment. But I do appreciate the differences in the three OS I've listed above.
    One thing that seems to always strike me (in my experience, I could be very wrong) is the elitism coming from Mac and Linux users/administrators/devs (which may, of course be justified) but rarely from windows users/administrators/devs.
    Why do fans of Mac OS and Linux, feel the need to slate competitors such as Microsoft, and always state that they'd be better off with a Mac or Linux system. Yet Windows users rarely do the same, often going about their day using their preferred OS, and leaving others to do the same?
    I could be miles off, and suffering strongly from Naivety here, but I wouldn't mind a bit of healthy discussion on the topic.
    Who agrees / disagrees?

• User profile image
    Ray6

Forgive me for asking, but are you actually serious, or are you just too chicken to start a fight in a real pub? 

• User profile image
    Jung

Let me just check what I wrote, to see what my reasons were for posting that...

• User profile image
    Jung

No, I'm pretty sure I started it because I wanted a discussion.
    Sorry for being civilised.
    Can you let me know who I need to contact beforehand next time I want to discuss something and not argue aimlessly about it?

Wink

• User profile image
    Ray6

Jung wrote:
    No, I'm pretty sure I started it because I wanted a discussion.
    Sorry for being civilised.
    Can you let me know who I need to contact beforehand next time I want to discuss something and not argue aimlessly about it?

Sure.

Try this guy ....

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

I think there is some truth in this, at the risk of generalising.

I think that the ratio of professional/hobbyist differs between commercial and OSS operating systems: Windows tends towards professional and OSS tend towards hobbyists, not sure about Mac.

(before the knee-jerk replis come in, I know there are professional OSS users out there, it's the ratios I talking about).

Why does Windows have more professionals?  I think that a lot of companies don't trust things that are cheap/free.  I heard from an old boss a story of a trip to a software/hardware conference for a specific vertical market: a new vendor wasn't getting any interest in his cheap product, after taking advice he multiplied the price by 10, suddenly potential customers started to take him seriously. It's weird, but it seems to be true.

I think that professionals tend to view their software as a tool to get the job done, while hobbyists take it as a religion.  The different in professional/hobbyist ratios shows in the 'culture' of the specific software.
    There are zealot on both sides and calm professionals on both sides, it's just that the balances are different.

Herbie

• User profile image
    Jung

Dr Herbie wrote:

I think there is some truth in this, at the risk of generalising.

I think that the ratio of professional/hobbyist differs between commercial and OSS operating systems: Windows tends towards professional and OSS tend towards hobbyists, not sure about Mac.

(before the knee-jerk replis come in, I know there are professional OSS users out there, it's the ratios I talking about).

Why does Windows have more professionals?  I think that a lot of companies don't trust things that are cheap/free.  I heard from an old boss a story of a trip to a software/hardware conference for a specific vertical market: a new vendor wasn't getting any interest in his cheap product, after taking advice he multiplied the price by 10, suddenly potential customers started to take him seriously. It's weird, but it seems to be true.

I think that professionals tend to view their software as a tool to get the job done, while hobbyists take it as a religion.  The different in professional/hobbyist ratios shows in the 'culture' of the specific software.
    There are zealot on both sides and calm professionals on both sides, it's just that the balances are different.

Herbie

Excellent answer Herbie.
    I think you're completely right about the ratio's between professionals and hobbyists, based on industry.
    I'm a techy at a manufacturing company, and we run an almost 100%  windows enviroment...except for one office where we have 6 Unix workstations and a legacy (pretty much) Unix server, purely because it was the best tool for the job at the time. But now we're moving away from Unix in that office and over to windows, not because Windows is better, but because no one can support the system anymore, and it makes sense to bring it in line with the rest of the company. The unix system is a lot better, but no one here can support it anymore, so we've got to move away from it

• User profile image
    mtz

windows had 90+ % market share ...there is really no point in talking about them ..linux and macs struggles for the rest of the market ..they have to be very vocal and on your face sometime to be heared and to let new users know about them.

do you belong to any minority group? do you know how it feels for someone from a majority group to just dismissing you simply because of where you came from, or what you represent? ..i think this is where it is comming from. I use linux full time but i use windows too and thats why i hang out in this side ..i watch each and every technical stuff about microsoft technologies because i enjoy reading anything relating to CS

..one thing that make me feel like defending my system of choice is when someone flat out dismiss it as a piece of crap without even trying it, or use it for half a second and judge the rest of the system based on that.

i can understand this is a microsoft site and most people here will be upset with all the linux talk in here but well ..people need to hear about it somehow..i use linux too but the ubuntu talking mostly gets to me because they are very vocal sometimes(no dissin intended for all ubuntu fans out there Smiley )

on macs for example .. very few people use macs ..if anybody brings up macs on a discussion, most likely, that converstation wont go anywhere, most people will just dissmiss them because they either dont care about them or arent interested ...so what do they do ..talking about weaknesses in windows first and compare them with macs ..remember those macs commercial? ..get what i am talking about? talking about macs without mentioning windows to most people will be like talking about &^)&*)%*&^^& from china ..most people wont relate to it.

windows users, you are the majority, get used to it ..your question is like a white person asking "why can black people call each other niggers and we cant call them that?" .because you just cant Smiley ...

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

emet wrote:
    Linux administrators tend to be better paid then Windows administrators, and are harder to find. And Linux/UNIX administrators usually view Windows administrators as dumbed down. From my expirence of course.

Got a source other than "your own experience"?

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Linux/UNIX admins tend to be very cavalier about the risks.  They think they are invulnerable to attack.  Its already backfired a time or two.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.