Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Dell's Linux pricing seems to be a bit of a head scratcher ...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray6

Engadget has the skinny on the Dell Open website, which will be launched today.

Though their reporting on the pricing seems a little bit odd to me:

It looks like preloading with Linux costs more than preloading with Vista. I'd actually expect them to cost about the same, or the Linux load to cost less.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Ray6 wrote:

Though there reporting on the pricing seems a little bit odd to me:

It looks like preloading with Linux costs more than preloading with Vista

How does that work?

I'm assuming it's becuase there's all that cr@pware that get pre-loaded onto Windows PCs putting money towards keeping the sale price low, while there's little, if any, equivalent for Linux (yet?).

Herbie

• User profile image
    AndyC

Things which keep Windows cheaper:

• Payoffs for bundled applications
    • Economies of scale for support training
    • Higher demand, more competition

Anyone who thought Dell were about to start shipping boxes that cost less when they were perfectly capable of selling the same users machines with Windows preinstalled is extremely naive.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Oh damn.

$230 more for the cheapest Linux system verses Vista, even though Ubuntu is free.

Dell lied! They said it was to be cheaper (though probably slightly)than the same Window model not over $200 more.

Well this is dead. Expressionless

• User profile image
    Bas

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

$230 more for the cheapest Linux system verses Vista, even though Ubuntu is free.

Dell lied! They said it was to be cheaper (though probably slightly)than the same Window model not over $200 more.

When did they say that?

I agree, $230 is a might steep. But what I always wonder about: why don't people just buy a PC without OS, or just get parts, and assemble it yourself?

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Well you can't really assemble a laptop from parts. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Bas wrote:
    When did they say that?

I agree, $230 is a might steep. But what I always wonder about: why don't people just buy a PC without OS, or just get parts, and assemble it yourself?

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/314124_dellfolo03.html

"Ubuntu is free, and machines pre-installed with it will be less expensive than PCs of the same configuration that come with Windows, [Jeremy Bolen, a Dell spokesman] said. He declined to say by how much."

• User profile image
    Bas

Thanks!

Looks like Jeremy's got some splainin' to do.

• User profile image
    stevo_

"So we pay more for less?..."

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Another shot at the linux down the tubes then...

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

"Every little helps. (Dell, not you)"

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

If you look online, there are Linux PCs being offered for $99 and $139. The latter has a 1.5 GHz Via C7, 256 MB RAM, 13.5 GB HDD (can be replaced for cheap). Not sure what specs the former has.

If Microsoft starts demanding royalties from Dell because of their Linux patent violation belief, the Ubuntu systems could cost even more.

Linux users would still be paying the Microsoft tax in that case along with $230+ fee for not having bloatware installed.

It's just a bad situation all around, as usual. It seems any and all news surrounding FOSS is overshadowed by gains from Microsoft in their attempt to embrace and kill Linux.

• User profile image
    Ray6

Dr Herbie wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

Though there reporting on the pricing seems a little bit odd to me:

It looks like preloading with Linux costs more than preloading with Vista

How does that work?

I'm assuming it's becuase there's all that cr@pware that get pre-loaded onto Windows PCs putting money towards keeping the sale price low, while there's little, if any, equivalent for Linux (yet?).

Herbie

So that's how that works ....

• User profile image
    Ray6

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

Oh damn.

Damn indeed. I didn't really expect this to fly, but I have to confess that  didn't figure on price being the reason.

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

Bear in mind that Dell probably gets a heftty discount on Windows licenses. And as someone pointed out, no-one is going to pay Dell to install 'extras' onto their machines. Dell does seem to be considering a higher priced Windows machine option that comes extras free; I wonder how much extra that will cost.

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

... I'd be surprised if you could point me to an official Dell statement to that effect.

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

Well this is dead.

... and people call me a pessimist.

• User profile image
    Ray6

No comment from Emet and Corona_Coder then?

Okey-dokey

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Ray6,

We were wrong:

http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2007/05/update_dell_rep.html

The prices include monitors. I didnt know that before.

Overall about $50 less for equivalent hardware with Windows Vista Home Basic/Premium.

So thats about what we were expecting.

It would be interesting to see how the prices would compare if the Windows units didnt come with a crapload of trial software.

Maybe $100-$200 more?

Wheres the Linux crapware? Lets get that coming along now... We'll get busy will ya. Tongue Out

apt-get remove bonzi-buddy
    apt-get remove aol10_trial
    apt-get remove marketscore.

Smiley

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

Ray6 wrote:

Okey-dokey

He's trying to find a possible apology that would sound reasonable enough. (...for people to bait it)
    I guess this one is lil too hard, isn't it emet? Big Smile

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Ray6 wrote:

Okey-dokey

I'm sure they're thinking something up. Probably something along the lines of:
    "Dell wasn't working with the right FSF people."

...or something similar.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.