Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Pocket PC Phone Edition vs. Smartphone. What would you choose?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    SmithAtlanta

    I've been back and forth between buying the HP h3615(poket pc phone edition) or maybe the Motorola MPX220(smart phone).  I was wanting to get some opinions.  Since I already have a new Dell Axim w/ wireless, I'm leaning towards the smartphone now but I was wanting some real world opinions.

  • User profile image
    eagle

    Check-out Skype for PocketPC.

  • User profile image
    juliankay

    Smartphone: if you want an amazing phone with great Outlook intergration.

    Pocket PC Phone Edition: if you want a Pocket PC. (with some phone stuff in there too)


    I know the Pocket PC is fully /featured/ as a phone, it doesn't have the same feel as having a actual phone. 


    The Smartphone is much closer to the size of a normal phone, so it'll actually fit in your pants. Plus you  can do it /all/ with one hand. (mail, games, web, anything!)

    I have an MPx200 with Smartphone 2003 and I love it! I think you'll love a Smartphone too! Smiley

  • User profile image
    SmithAtlanta

    eagle wrote:
    Check-out Skype for PocketPC.


    That seems very interesting.  Do you know how good the quality is?

  • User profile image
    SmithAtlanta

    juliankay wrote:

    Smartphone: if you want an amazing phone with great Outlook intergration.

    Pocket PC Phone Edition: if you want a Pocket PC. (with some phone stuff in there too)


    I know the Pocket PC is fully /featured/ as a phone, it doesn't have the same feel as having a actual phone. 


    The Smartphone is much closer to the size of a normal phone, so it'll actually fit in your pants. Plus you  can do it /all/ with one hand. (mail, games, web, anything!)

    I have an MPx200 with Smartphone 2003 and I love it! I think you'll love a Smartphone too! Smiley



    The like the size of the smartphone but I like the completeness of the HP product.  If I bought the HP, I could sell my Axim and have eveything I need in one product...but it's pretty large.  Decisions, decisions.

    How is the sound quality(for phone converstions) on either of these devices?

  • User profile image
    Rossj

    SmithAtlanta wrote:
    eagle wrote:Check-out Skype for PocketPC.


    That seems very interesting.  Do you know how good the quality is?


    In some informal tests I did with a friend it was *very* good.  Skype to landline can be a little choppy but Skype to Skype is very good and I was able to hold a conversation with my friend on his iPaq. He tells me he left it on a table about 3 feet away and connected via wifi when we were talking.


  • User profile image
    Shrage

    SmithAtlanta wrote:


    How is the sound quality(for phone converstions) on either of these devices?


    I have a Verizon Smart phone, it's just what i wanted. I had an Ipaq. With smart phone it's not so easy for typing, so for input it's not very great. But if you need it for Music, Contacts, Orgenizer, Scheduler than it's better then a pocker pc because it's more handy, you can do everyhing with one hand, it's more compact. And yes, the sound on the smart phone is great.

  • User profile image
    SmithAtlanta

    Shrage wrote:
    SmithAtlanta wrote:

    How is the sound quality(for phone converstions) on either of these devices?


    I have a Verizon Smart phone, it's just what i wanted. I had an Ipaq. With smart phone it's not so easy for typing, so for input it's not very great. But if you need it for Music, Contacts, Orgenizer, Scheduler than it's better then a pocker pc because it's more handy, you can do everyhing with one hand, it's more compact. And yes, the sound on the smart phone is great.


    That's what I wanted to hear.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.