Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Anyone know the fate of PDC 07?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jb43081

MSDN Events wrote:
    We are currently in the process of rescheduling this fall’s Professional Developer Conference. As the PDC is the definitive developer event focused on the future of the Microsoft platform, we try to align it to be in front of major platform milestones. By this fall, however, upcoming platform technologies including Windows Server 2008, SQL Server codenamed “Katmai,” Visual Studio codenamed “Orcas” and Silverlight will already be in developers’ hands and approaching launch, which is where we’ll focus our developer engagement in the near term. We will update this site when we have a new date for the PDC that is better timed with the next wave of platform technologies.

Can anyone who may be "more in the know" (Charles, Rory) fill us in a bit? Is there a new date and will it be this year?

Thanks

• User profile image
    littleguru

Hmmmm. Katmai is going to be launched before fall... interesting.

• User profile image
    Sampy

Still working on the future of this.

Don't worry, there are lots of people on DPE (the group the nine team is a part of) who care a lot about making PDC rock the house and they'll be shouting from the rooftops when they have more info to share.

In a way, rescheduling PDC because all the awesome stuff is getting here soon is a good thing! Real bits beat betas anyday Smiley

I'm already loving Silverlight, Expression Media Encoder, and Blend 2. David Shadle working in Expression Design and exporting to Silverlight XAML is hot.

• User profile image
    jb43081

Sampy wrote:

Still working on the future of this.

Don't worry, there are lots of people on DPE (the group the nine team is a part of) who care a lot about making PDC rock the house and they'll be shouting from the rooftops when they have more info to share.

In a way, rescheduling PDC because all the awesome stuff is getting here soon is a good thing! Real bits beat betas anyday

I'm already loving Silverlight, Expression Media Encoder, and Blend 2. David Shadle working in Expression Design and exporting to Silverlight XAML is hot.

Agreed, just wondering if I should hold off submitting my training request. The deadline for 2007 is fast approaching, and I don't want to be shut out. 

Actually, it is is held next year, I have a better chance of my employer saying yes, so it's not all bad... Smiley

• User profile image
    littleguru

Scoble is also blogging about it. Some stuff he mentions is not completely true (the Windows Mobile thingy is written in .NET), but some is...

• User profile image
    ZippyV

littleguru wrote:

Is Katmai going to be a totally new version of SQL Server? Weird, 2005 had such a long test/beta period and I haven't heard much of Katmai yet.

• User profile image
    littleguru

ZippyV wrote:

littleguru wrote:

Is Katmai going to be a totally new version of SQL Server? Weird, 2005 had such a long test/beta period and I haven't heard much of Katmai yet.

Same here.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

ZippyV wrote:
    Is Katmai going to be a totally new version of SQL Server?

Yes, SQL Server 2008.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.