14 posts

Microsoft Surface - The Possibilities

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Secret​Software

Wow Indeed.

Is this going to be true?:O

I guess so!

How can I program using Surface? Kinda weird? On Screen Keyboard?

• User profile image
    Dan

SecretSoftware wrote:
    Wow Indeed.

Is this going to be true?

I guess so!

There's an SDK to program for it and the surface applications themselves are written using WPF.

But yeah, totally agree "Wow"... I'd so buy one if nothing else than to develop using Popfly with it Big Smile

• User profile image
    Arran

this tech really does look good!

Am very happy to hear that the apps are WPF as well.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

I'm hoping that at the multitouch tech will make it into tablet PCs.

I'd also like to see what the APIs for receiving that input are, to know what the possibilities might be.

And of course I want one. It would make a great virtual board game table for one thing Smiley I could imagine a very cool hexmap and counters style wargame implementation or a virtual version of my current collectible obsession, Dreamblade.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

I think the whole idea is superficial.

Wink

• User profile image
    cornelius

unless the (I need to watch my language) industry can make something of this its gonna more likely flop

• User profile image
    anand.t

SecretSoftware wrote:
    Wow Indeed.

Is this going to be true?

I guess so!

I see the RIAA standing there and shouting about DRM and Copyright violation

• User profile image
    Secret​Software
  • User profile image
    Secret​Software

How does Microsoft Surface transfer the Mp3 music files just by dragging and dropping? Does the surface actually has photo electric properties?

or is it wirelessly? and the circle of light that surround the mp3 player or the phone, just to say that the OS of Microsoft Surface, recognized this new device because it can detect it wirelessly?

This stuff is like magic, or so it seems.

Edit: What is the history of MS Surface? was this project adopted from a student , I remember seeing a demo of this stuff a while ago before Surface came about. Can someone tell us about the history of this new MS surface?

Edit 2: yeah his name was Jefferson Han, of Perceptive Pixel. cool stuff. How can people adapt from using a keyboard to using touch?

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

I just saw the Popular Mechanics video, of Surface. It uses Wireless technnology to do the magic, + some cameras, to do object recognition Using .NET framework.

Its nice, once you see how its built its not as mind blowing as when you see it in the first time. But its nice.

However, seeing as how it uses cameras to do Object recognitions, can it be fooled?

I have not seen one in person, but If someone know , maybe they can share info Big Smile.

• User profile image
    Rossj

SecretSoftware wrote:

or is it wirelessly? and the circle of light that surround the mp3 player or the phone, just to say that the OS of Microsoft Surface, recognized this new device because it can detect it wirelessly?

The phone needs a 'barcode' on the bottom of it so that the table can detect it, although I don't know if this is just for determining its position or whether it uses that as a unique identifier to determine whose phone it is.

SecretSoftware wrote:

Edit 2: yeah his name was Jefferson Han, of Perceptive Pixel. cool stuff. How can people adapt from using a keyboard to using touch?

I'm not sure this has anything to do with Jeff Han, multitouch has been around a lot longer than you think.

• User profile image
    Bas

Rossj wrote:

SecretSoftware wrote:

The phone needs a 'barcode' on the bottom of it so that the table can detect it, although I don't know if this is just for determining its position or whether it uses that as a unique identifier to determine whose phone it is.

Probably as a unique identifier, because the computer could determine the position of brushes (or fingers, for that matter) without barcodes as well. Also, in one of the videos they have "stamps" that produce different effects in the paint program because the table recognizes different 'dot barcode' stickers on them.

Notice, by the way, how in the On10 video the table could differentiate between two different ordinary brushes that both painted with a different colour. I think the guy in the video explained that the table recognized the different width of the brushes to tell them apart. So if the object has a unique enough shape, it might be able to recognize objects without the barcode sticker.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Bas wrote:

Notice, by the way, how in the On10 video the table could differentiate between two different ordinary brushes that both painted with a different colour. I think the guy in the video explained that the table recognized the different width of the brushes to tell them apart. So if the object has a unique enough shape, it might be able to recognize objects without the barcode sticker.

I'm not sure it did that, I remember thinking - are these going to paint in different colours, but when one guy changed the colour to red, both brushes then started painting in red.  Or did I mis-interpret it, I need to go back and check I guess.

• User profile image
    Bas

Rossj wrote:

Bas wrote:

I'm not sure it did that, I remember thinking - are these going to paint in different colours, but when one guy changed the colour to red, both brushes then started painting in red.  Or did I mis-interpret it, I need to go back and check I guess.

You're right, they both start painting in red. I guess I misinterpreted it because the On10 guy's hand is obstructing it at first, and the other guy mentions "You can see that it detects different widths of the brush as well." I interpreted that as "it recognizes that it's two dfferent brushes" but I guess he meant "a wider brush is going to make a wider brushstroke." Too bad.

Still, it can paint the shape of the brush, so it should be able to see the difference between a round object by and a square object, for instance. Although, granted, that's not much use with cellphones.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.