Coffeehouse Thread

90 posts

Less than a month and the GPL 3 is done

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    corona_coder

On June 29th the GPL 3 will be released.  As the new dominant and de-facto standard software license it plays some very important roles.  The most notable being the rendering of Microsofts patents unenforcable and anyone who makes patent deals such as the one Microsoft made with Novell CANNOT distribute GPL 3 software.  It will be illegal to do so.  The new license is also compatible with the Apache 2.0 license so distributors will be able to distribute Apache with the new GPL 3 licensed systems.  The once clause i wanted didnt make it in which was to deem it a violation to develop GPL 3 software for non-free OS's.

• User profile image
    Custa1200

You really are a tool. "As the new dominant and de-facto standard" is such a crock.

• User profile image
    corona_coder

Custa1200 wrote:
    You really are a tool. "As the new dominant and de-facto standard" is such a crock.

You may disagree but one thing is for certain.  microsoft will NEVER see a dime from Linux customers or vendors.  Refuse to believe it and watch how fast Eben Moglen destroys MS's lawyers in court.

• User profile image
    blowdart

corona_coder wrote:

Custa1200 wrote:

You may disagree but one thing is for certain.  microsoft will NEVER see a dime from Linux customers or vendors.  Refuse to believe it and watch how fast Eben Moglen destroys MS's lawyers in court.

Why yes, because we can rely on you to predict, as well as always tell the truth. Idiot.

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

Exactly how does GPL render Microsoft patents unenforceable?  I wasn't aware you could overturn laws with a software license.

• User profile image
    cornelius
  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

DigitalDud wrote:
    Exactly how does GPL render Microsoft patents unenforceable?  I wasn't aware you could overturn laws with a software license.

Err... because... because... because...

Moglen said so!Cool

• User profile image
    Chadk

DigitalDud wrote:

Dude. Of course they can! ITS GPL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Expressionless:|Expressionless:|Expressionless:|Expressionless:|

</Sarcasm>

Im sorry to say. But the fact that you even bother posting about GPL 3 in here, proves the point of the first post.. Your a tool.

Who cares about GPL anyways? I dont, and i only know a very few people that do.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Please don't call corona_coder a tool. A tool (or utility) is useful.

• User profile image
    stevo_

Is this the only note you can sing? do you really have some deeply seeded psychological problems? because it's not natural at all to act like this for these circumstances.. it's not even trolling - it's just really quite sad..

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

corona_coder wrote:
    The once clause i wanted didnt make it in which was to deem it a violation to develop GPL 3 software for non-free OS's.

Amm, wouldn't they then cancel out themselves? GPL isn't free. Heck, I would love to sue them. Smiley

BSD4Life!

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

stevo_ wrote:
    Is this the only note you can sing? do you really have some deeply seeded psychological problems? because it's not natural at all to act like this for these circumstances.. it's not even trolling - it's just really quite sad..

Don't try to understand him. He's the same as emet, employee at GNAA. Wink

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

O NOZE!

• User profile image
    corona_coder

cornelius wrote:

Hate to be the bringer of bad news, but with Dell now selling Linux I foresee Linux outselling windows in a few short months.  GPL is the most dominant free software license.  Someone says BSD, thats untrue.  The BSD license has never won in a court of law where the GPL has had the court enforce it several times.  Its tried its been tested and the GPL is rock solid.  But allow me not to speak for the man himelf.  Read his words from the man himself, RMS

The GPL 3 turns Microsofts patent threats against them and as stated Microsoft will NOT see a dime from their patents.  Its a bright future and Im sure in a short time Microsofts stock will be roughly the same price as SCOX $1.14 a share.  Bill Gates was beaten by RMS which is ironic.

• User profile image
    anand.t

Dont feed the trolls

thanks

• User profile image
    staceyw

TommyCarlier wrote:

Smiley.  Good point.  I thought we got rid of the penquin?  Why the h*ll he keeps coming back?

• User profile image
    Bas

staceyw wrote:

TommyCarlier wrote:

Smiley.  Good point.  I thought we got rid of the penquin?  Why the h*ll he keeps coming back?

Probably because this is the only place where he can be free.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Every time I hear "penguins" i think of my favorite Tenacious D song: I'm the only g@y eskimo

A rocking laugh

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.