Coffeehouse Thread

55 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Adios

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    DarthVista

I watched the movie "Revolution OS" the other day. Several things surprised me:

1) VA Linux, after a great initial IPO, tanked a short time later.

2) What's with everybody calling Linus by three different names? Leenus, Line-us and Linn-us.

3) It was my first time catching a glimpse of Linuxworld, and although it was short, it was interesting.

4) Some of the interviews on disc two were informative, but a little boring if your aren't into engineering I suppose.

5) Although the mood was positive overall, by the end, and after watching the stock price of RedHat and VA Linux drop like rocks, there was a sense of melancholy.

Which brings me to final point. I hope Linux and its surrounding culture does not end up as a footnote in history, due to an attitude of one particular company, and borne out of nothing but pure greed. I really have no other word for it. It was refreshing to see actual interviews of people (rather than just reading about them in an online article) in the OSS community, rather than warped caricatures that seemed to be passed off in soundbytes and FUD. It was refreshing to see software developers truly passionate about what they do, and doing it for the love of software. I really don't see that in this organization, or even in this community, except for a handful of people.

Tonight, I'm turning in my helmet. This community is on its own. I refuse to defend you anymore.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

DarrhVista wrote:
    I watched the movie "Revolution OS" the other day. Several things surprised me:

1) VA Linux, after a great initial IPO, tanked a short time later.

2) What's with everybody calling Linus by three different names? Leenus, Line-us and Linn-us.

3) It was my first time catching a glimpse of Linuxworld, and although it was short, it was interesting.

4) Some of the interviews on disc two were informative, but a little boring if your aren't into engineering I suppose.

5) Although the mood was positive overall, by the end, and after watching the stock price of RedHat and VA Linux drop like rocks, there was a sense of melancholy.

Which brings me to final point. I hope Linux and its surrounding culture does not end up as a footnote in history, due to an attitude of one particular company, and borne out of nothing but pure greed. I really have no other word for it. It was refreshing to see actual interviews of people (rather than just reading about them in an online article) in the OSS community, rather than warped caricatures that seemed to be passed off in soundbytes and FUD. It was refreshing to see software developers truly passionate about what they do, and doing it for the love of software. I really don't see that in this organization, or even in this community, except for a handful of people.

Tonight, I'm turning in my helmet. This community is on its own. I refuse to defend you anymore.

I just wish it was true...

Expressionless

It's really unfortunate that the endless september had to come to Channel 9, but I guess it's the nature of things. We had all types of trolls (except, for some reason, the type that eventually ends up claiming that it was all because of a school assignment...)

My only question is: why do these idiots even exist?

• User profile image
    corona_coder

Welcome to the Linux establishment DarthVista.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Good effort Darth, you managed to pretent to be a Microsoft advocate for almost a whole year!

I wondered how long it would take before the 'I have seen the light, Linux is better' post, but I never imagined it would take you so long to get to it.

Shame your efforts have so little impact, but it's nice to se someone trying to play the 'long game' instead of the short term gratification that corona goes for.

Herbie

• User profile image
    corona_coder

Revolution OS is a real eye opener.  Anyone who watches it switches to Linux.  Any Microsoft employee if they watched it would QUIT working for Microsoft.

• User profile image
    anand.t

corona_coder wrote:
    Any Microsoft employee if they watched it would QUIT working for Microsoft.

Wowow...then what you and your father will pay for their food and living or what??

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Anybody else here notice how fuzzy and warm kittens are?

Not to deliberately hijack the thread or anything.

Also: "I'm leaving 4evuh" forum drama is the absolute worst.  I mean, look at Mr. "Chill out!" himself, corona_coder.  This person announced that they were going to leave, but NOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo, they had to return and harangue the masses.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Oh noes!!1!

And just as coronaholio was going from mindless zealot to megalomaniacal self-parody.

Who will bring balance to the force now?

• User profile image
    BryanF

corona_coder wrote:
    Revolution OS is a real eye opener. Anyone who watches it switches to Linux. Any Microsoft employee if they watched it would QUIT working for Microsoft.
    "Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah... Li~nux!" Smiley

• User profile image
    staceyw

So linux folks actually wear helmets?  That explains a few things.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Adios!

• User profile image
    SpongeBob​SquarePants

corona_coder wrote:
    Revolution OS is a real eye opener.  Anyone who watches it switches to Linux.  Any Microsoft employee if they watched it would QUIT working for Microsoft.

Yawn. Next!

• User profile image
    Sabot

Whatever!

Darth/Beer we never asked you to represent us.

• User profile image
    AndyC

PaoloM wrote:
    (except, for some reason, the type that eventually ends up claiming that it was all because of a school assignment...)

I thought we did have one of those? Or at least somebody claiming it was a social experiment or something....

PaoloM wrote:

My only question is: why do these idiots even exist?

It's the flouride in the water I tells you!!! Won't somebody please think of the children!!!!

/me puts on tin foil hat

• User profile image
    DarthVista

Sabot wrote:
    Whatever!

I took it upon myself to defend you against the zealous OSS community, and this is the thanks I get? And where did the name "Darth Beer" come from? I don't drink beer, I drink soda.

Perplexed

You talk about passion, and books about Microsoft talk about "passion". The people I saw in the video were genuinely enthusiastic about what they were doing, as compared to what I've seen here. And you know what? They weren't saying "screw Microsoft!" every other sentence or anything like that. It was a very rational presentation of ideas.

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

You've said that before so I'll say this again-

See you when you come back next week.

• User profile image
    DarthVista

corona_coder wrote:
    Welcome to the Linux establishment DarthVista.
    Thank you.

• User profile image
    Sabot

DarthVista wrote:

Sabot wrote:
    Whatever!

I took it upon myself to defend you against the zealous OSS community, and this is the thanks I get? And where did the name "Darth Beer" come from? I don't drink beer, I drink soda.

You talk about passion, and books about Microsoft talk about "passion". The people I saw in the video were genuinely enthusiastic about what they were doing, as compared to what I've seen here. And you know what? They weren't saying "screw Microsoft!" every other sentence or anything like that. It was a very rational presentation of ideas.

Set phaser to flame.

1) Darth Vista (or whoever you are this week, I'm past caring) your agenda has been transparent from day one so don't kid us.

The thing about this community is that we like it when people are honest and themselves.

You don't need to be Superman with all the answers to get respect here, just be a nice person and join in with reasoned debate.

2) Why does there have to be conflict between Linux and Windows, OSS and Microsoft? Personally I think it's pretty immature that there is. It's not helpful and lets be honest the competition between the two communities is actually good for them they just need to be more friendly ... and for there own sake, because business and the man in the street isn't bothered.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.