Coffeehouse Thread

168 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

v4 Safari (on Windows) support?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Rossj

Will we be getting support for Safari now that it runs on Windows?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Rossj wrote:

Oh link? One more to add to the test suite, assuming it renders the same as on the mac

• User profile image
    Rossj

blowdart wrote:

Rossj wrote:

Oh link? One more to add to the test suite, assuming it renders the same as on the mac

Will be up at apple.com/safari later on - the current page shows the OSX version.

Jobs claimed double the speed of IE7 ... yeah, we'll see, if iTunes perf is anything to go by ...

• User profile image
    blowdart

Rossj wrote:

Jobs claimed double the speed of IE7 ... yeah, we'll see, if iTunes perf is anything to go by ...

I swear apple bodge iTunes on Windows on purpose

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Rossj wrote:

blowdart wrote:

Rossj wrote:

Will be up at apple.com/safari later on - the current page shows the OSX version.

How is this possible? Safari used KHTML, which was fairly heavily integrated with the UNIX stack. Let's see how they sort this out.

If it's true, it's the first piece of major browser news since IE7's announcement.

EDIT: Interesting.

• User profile image
    littleguru

It's true - Steve Jobs himself announced it at the WWDC right now.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

err wahoo another browser!

• User profile image
    Rossj

W3bbo wrote:

How is this possible? Safari used KHTML, which was fairly heavily integrated with the UNIX stack. Let's see how they sort this out.

Nonsense, it is built on QT, which Apple provided a shim for - UNIX stack has nothing to do with it. 

Besides I suspect Adobe did most of the Windows port, at least for the engine, because it is what they use in Apollo/AIR.  Interestingly enough the same rendering engine is now also available in S60 phones.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

harumscarum wrote:

++

A probably cr@p one at that.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Rossj

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

harumscarum wrote:
    A probably cr@p one at that.

Probably? On what grounds? Because it isn't Microsoft - go easy there fella and try and maintain a bit of balance.

• User profile image
    jamie

downloading

*apple.com updated

• User profile image
    Rossj

jamie wrote:

downloading

*apple.com updated

Downloaded and installed, and as expected the same problem as Safari on OSX. Expressionless

• User profile image
    Rossj

it is fast though. I am surprised, I would have thought it slow and bloated like iTunes on Windows.

• User profile image
    blowdart

And as usual Apple wants their windows apples to look like os/x, not like another windows program. Which sucks. Also ignores windows menu conventions.

Feels a lot slower than Firefox

Doesn't render the fonts as well as either IE or Firefox, implements it's own font smoothing and ignores cleartypes. And makes a bad job of it.

Ignores parental controls.

Plugin page shows it as mozilla based.

Dialogs have cancel to the left of ok; again ignoring convention

Menus which should be ticked never get ticked.

Poor poor showing.

• User profile image
    CyberGeek

No rich editing for posts on C9 ... but on the plus side, I can resize the text box! Weeee!

• User profile image
    Rossj

I actually have a different experience, its fast and the rendering is great. Are you on Vista?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Rossj wrote:
    I actually have a different experience, its fast and the rendering is great. Are you on Vista?

XP. The font rendering is awful; fuzzy and nasty.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

crashtacular!

I guess it has something against proxies, unable to give it a test run Sad

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.