Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Developing for Sharepoint on XP using SP extensions

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    grout58

Hey niners, maybe you guys can help me with a question.  Im trying to develope for Sharepoint 3 without being on the server.  I need to use the sharepoint extentions but it wont let me unless sharepoint is installed. I have found a few SDK's but they are not what im looking for.  If anyone knows how please let me know. 

• User profile image
    Code​Monkey666

Your best bet is to build a VM with Server and sharepoint.

I haven't found a way to run WSS on XP.

• User profile image
    typemismatch

I found when using or developing for SP your best bet is to buy a box of blunt pencils from here

http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Write-Pencils-Medium-PAP12242/dp/B0006UXO52/ref=pd_bbs_2/105-1775793-5798851?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1181596811&sr=8-2

and stick one in your eye every time you think of trying to accomplish something. I like the softer lead ones Smiley

[6]

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

grout58 wrote:
    Hey niners, maybe you guys can help me with a question.  Im trying to develope for Sharepoint 3 without being on the server.  I need to use the sharepoint extentions but it wont let me unless sharepoint is installed. I have found a few SDK's but they are not what im looking for.  If anyone knows how please let me know. 

I installed the Extensions on XP without a problem, but that might have been the beta. Of course, most of what they give you - like automatic deployment - won't work. It's not a supported scenario.

What are you trying to develop? If it's just webparts, you can easily live without the extensions. You can just inherit System.Web.Webparts.WebPart and deploy it manually to the server. What the extensions give you is an easy way to build Features and Solutions around your code, and they're hell to write manually.

I b!tched about it a while ago here.

• User profile image
    Monsey11

CodeMonkey666 said:

Your best bet is to build a VM with Server and sharepoint.

I haven't found a way to run WSS on XP.

VS needs to be installed on the server?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.