Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What would you love to see as gadget in the sidebar?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

I'm in search for an idea. I would love to write a sidebar gadget - one that is useful. Therefore I'm asking you guys/gals what you would like to see in your sidebar? What's useful, what would be fun, what would be something you would love to play with?

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

Alarm clock with ability to use playlist as alarm Smiley

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

We just released our XDrive API's...I'd like a widget that looks kinda like a Storage Shed that you can drag files on and it will upload them to your XDrive account

Something that kinda looks like...

*snicker*

• User profile image
    ZippyV

How about a C9 gadget that tracks all the replies to your posts and/or watched threads.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

i want a good scratchpad/scrapbook/clipboard/clippad gadget. Something that looks either like the clipboard collection sidebar in Office, or the Scratchpad in Live Image Search. When you copy something its automatically added to the scratchpad list, and you can drag something there, or drag it off, or change the order. i also want this to look cool;)

i want an updated Notes gadget that allows you to drag text in and drag text out (copy or move).

i want a Notes gadget that functions as a container for a OneNote unfiled notes collection, so you can use it just like OneNote, and expands when you drag it off.

i want a media player gadget that looks exactly like the compact version of Media Player (compact button on lower right corner), and when you drag it off the Sidebar (or press a button on it) it loads the full media player (which then has, minimize to sidebar). Same with a Messenger gadget

i want a version of the MIX pattern gadget that when you have it on the sidebar, it just animates continuously what you created when its larger and dragged off the sidebar.

I want a calculator gadget thats like the one in Vista Beta 2 (can't someone please just copy it from their Beta version and update the information in the files)

I want a good color selector gadget, resembling what you see in programs like Photoshop which allows you to view color in different ways, and select it by numbers or clicking, and has an eyedropper that picks up color from anywhere on the screen.

I want a Character map gadget that also allows you to associate series of keystrokes with characters, like in Word with accents.

(I have an eBay gadget thats great, but I wish it were a little better interface wise. Most of the standard gadgets that come with Vista could be improved too)

The list of good gadgets that haven't been made is large, a lot of these would make the sidebar a lot more attractive (then we need auto-hide for g-d's sake, one of the most useful features, i dont care what problems test groups found with it, fix them)

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

A gadget that tells you all communication to and from your IP, with ability to kill connections. (not firewall, just monitor).

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

SecretSoftware wrote:
    A gadget that tells you all communication to and from your IP, with ability to kill connections. (not firewall, just monitor).

++

Maybe (if this is possible) a lil gadget that inverts the screen?

I have to highlight stuff if I want to read for a long time, this would be really handy for me Smiley

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    eddwo

I'd like one that integrates with Vista Media Center.

I'd like to be able to see the names of 5 most recently recorded TV programs, with 1 click to start playback of them in Media Center.

Possibly also show details of the next program due to be recorded, so its easy to check if you have scheduled it properly without having to launch media center to check the guide.

I guess there are probably scripting interfaces to access this informations, but I've not really looked into it.

edit: Looks like what I wanted already exists, and its actually got even more features than I suggested.

• User profile image
    phreaks

RoyalSchrubber wrote:
    Alarm clock with ability to use playlist as alarm

Exactly! I have been thinking the same thing for a while now!

I don't even care about the playlist, any functional alarm clock gadget will make me a very happy guy!

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Is there an Instant Messaging client (like Trillian) as a gadget yet?

What about one that displays traffic (# hits, connections, logons) on a remote web server/ web site?

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

to build on my post, does anyone know of an application to invert my screen? Or a plugin for FF or something? I'm going to look for one now... Googling doesn't seem to be pulling many results.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    DoomBringer

Where is the SDK for this?  I might try writing one.  The color picker someone mentioned should be super easy.

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

phreaks wrote:

RoyalSchrubber wrote:

I don't even care about the playlist, any functional alarm clock gadget will make me a very happy guy!
    I'll back this one too, I've been missing a timer since they took the Egg Timer out of the betas.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

phreaks wrote:

RoyalSchrubber wrote:

If you don't need playlist then you might want to look at clocx. Wink

• User profile image
    Ray6

I would like one that reminds me after ten minutes, that I have been hanging around a forum for too long, and it really is time to get some work done ....

• User profile image
    MB

The sidebar reminds me a bit of the clock in Windows V1.0 ...initially you went, ooh... ahh... then you asked... so... what does it do?? ah... it's a clock stupid ?? right... ok... but I've got a watch ...does it do anything else that's actually useful ?? well... no... it's a clock !!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.