Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Browser Keywords - Do you use them?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

So things like

Google
    eBay
    etc...

if you type in your browsers address bar (at least in Firefox) they take you to where you want to go (MOST the time)...do you use them?

This is kinda a poll for a service that me and a friend are authoring.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

I do when I remember... I have just become accustomed, and if I have to think about what I'm typing it'll take me the same amount of time when I add www. and .com/wtever.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

I use them, but that's just because I'm lasy Tongue Out

• User profile image
    harumscarum

no

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

GoddersUK wrote:
    I use them, but that's just because I'm lasy

Well the thing is...it's not lazy.

A friend and myself are writing a service which will let people submit their own keywords, and eventually be able to do things like Del.icio.us, but instead of leaving it web based only we want to bring it to the browser itself.

Eventually I may ask if people here would mind submitting sites.

Any ideas?

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

I don't use keywords to browse, but I do use keywords for searching (in Firefox and Opera, it doesn't work as well in IE). It's useful if you want to search something other than the default in the search box.

• User profile image
    jamie

no

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Cybermagellan wrote:
    So things like

Google
    eBay
    etc...

if you type in your browsers address bar (at least in Firefox) they take you to where you want to go (MOST the time)...do you use them?

This is kinda a poll for a service that me and a friend are authoring.

Nope.

Google is my homepage, it's quicker and easier for me to type Ctrl+Home than my query than give the address bar focus and type "g searchString"

• User profile image
    Sabot

nope I don't use them.

• User profile image
    zian

Nope, I don't use them either.

I use IE7 and I just hit CTRL + E, punch in the search string, and press Enter or "W."
    (By way of explanation, hitting W gives me Wikipedia instead of my default search engine.)

• User profile image
    blowdart

It's not a keyword in browsers, they just start by appending .com, then go through the rest of the common suffixes.

Wasn't there an IdeaLab plugin for browsers that did keywords? And failed miserably?

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

Yes. Everyday. It's much more easier to use than to digg trought 10s of bookmarks.

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    blowdart

Ah RealNames it was. And MS bought part of them.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Don't see the point. If I start typing the name of a site I regularly visit, IE is going to have auto-completed it from the Favorites list or the History anyway.

• User profile image
    die-Sel

dont use them either. Just got used to adding www/.com to adress that i just do it

• User profile image
    hodo

Never use them.   If I'm lazy I just use Ctrl+Enter to append www and .com parts.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.