Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

MS Home Server RC1 released

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Refrax
  • User profile image
    blowdart

Refrax wrote:

I'm putting that off, heh

• User profile image
    ZippyV

I hope they redesigned the installation system cause it sucked big time.

• User profile image
    Bas

Hot! I guess I'm going to be busy tomorrow night.

• User profile image
    Ray6

Not going to risk the RC, but will definitely going to get a server box for the house when it is released.

... and some of that home automation stuff should be pretty nifty too.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Ray6 wrote:
    Not going to risk the RC, but will definitely going to get a server box for the house when it is released.

Assuming it will be available unbundled.

• User profile image
    Bas

I'm not even going to bother with a non-bundled version. I'm getting myself one of those slick HP machines, and relocate my current WHS machine for something else.

• User profile image
    Ray6

blowdart wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

Assuming it will be available unbundled.

No, I'm actually going to get a server box. The hardware too. I'm going to stick it in a cupboard somewhere and just forget about.

• User profile image
    eblonk

I will eventually get one. It´s an OS, I need to have it Wink

• User profile image
    ben2004uk

Ive got the box, old (AMD 3000+, 1Gb) desktop which I'm going to use for it.  Just need to get myself either 2x 500Gb or 2x 750Gb drives.

Problem I have is where to put the box....no cupboards empty.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Ray6 wrote:

No, I'm actually going to get a server box. The hardware too. I'm going to stick it in a cupboard somewhere and just forget about.

Ditto. Will probably make the current box a SQL box, or pass it onto someone.

• User profile image
    shep

yeah downloaded my copy from connect. now to find 500gig of space to backup my current install. Perplexed

Pete

• User profile image
    blowdart

shep wrote:
    yeah downloaded my copy from connect. now to find 500gig of space to backup my current install.

Pete

Heh, I only need around 70Gb. All music

• User profile image
    shep

lucky you buddy Smiley, ye its a nice product been using it heavily tbh.

Pete

• User profile image
    Bas

Lucky you. I have at least 500GB of DVD's to backup before installing. It's either that or re-ripping all of them all over again.

• User profile image
    Ray6

Bas wrote:
    Lucky you. I have at least 500GB of DVD's to backup before installing. It's either that or re-ripping all of them all over again.

Backing up and restoring sounds much easier ...

I'd just like to get the music collection all in one place, rather than have it scattered on machines all over the place.

And if this remote access thing works, I can get hold of tracks wherever I'm working.

• User profile image
    Refrax

Bas wrote:

i had to get another drive to start moving stuff off then used the remove function to get another drive so i can move data to it. was looking at one of those new blue-ray burners to use for backup. 50G/Disk is alot nicer for backups then the 4.7G/Disk.  hey, there is an idea. i should look into backup software APIs and see about making a web interface.

• User profile image
    Bas

binah wrote:
    Yay, another crap product from a illegal and criminal company. All the brown nosing around these forums is really making this place smell bad.

Hey, sirhomer! Good to see you again.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.