Coffeehouse Thread

58 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

I fear for Mary Jo Foley's life

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Escamillo

Leopard looks like ... Vista

Mary's really asking for it now.  Really tempting fate. Tongue Out
    Digg is totally up in arms too, with over 1000 digs and over 500 comments of outrage.  Mad

• User profile image
    Bas

"Cupertino, are you done with our photocopiers yet?" Tongue Out

• User profile image
    stevo_

I think it was a bit unfair of a review.. she seemed to want to pick up on every feature, I don't think thats a good way to be fair and entice fair debate.

What's more true is that Leopard looks like a lot of things that have been released within the last year or so.. they came late to the table and were able to see what everyone else brought, and naturally tried to keep level with that.

What annoys me about Steve Jobs, is that he feeds bullshit, he manages to turn something like keeping up with competition into "Hey, aren't we the best Big Smile, everyone else sucks!". It's really very similar to trolling...

It'll be nice when he's gone (from Apple of course, not dead), I'd hope someone doesn't step up to be quite as trolling as he is, or at least fails miserably to do so, and that Apple then becomes a more honest company and starts creating some great innovation and competition for Microsoft and so on..

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Well one thing she had nothing for was Core Animation, but there you have the best case that Microsoft did it first, in animation capabilities in WPF, as far as i know.

But feature wise, most of the major things are in Vista, its all about how Vista implements them vs. Mac, where in Vista the interface is still half baked, which you don't have in Mac, but Mac is a bit tacky and inflexible. MS needs to work on this.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

I suppose it's Apple's turn as Vista supposibly copied a hell of alot from OS X Tiger.

I can care less either way. I've lost alot of respect for Apple when they turned their "think different" machines into shameless x86 PCs with DRM chips.

I wish people quit %#%$ calling them Mac's because they are just PCs damnit, and expensive, poor qaulity ones at that. Shiny white plastic and polished steel cases dont fool me any.

• User profile image
    jamie

i was reading the minute by minute transcript at news.com.com.com.com

as each "top ten " feature came in.. i also thought..  pictures on the desktop ... ( what about movies like Ult Xtras do? seen that... got that...)

i read MJ pretty much everyday... i hope she doesnt become a target of any macinistas that will paint her VW lime green Tongue Out

edit: quick poll: is MJ a 9girl ?

yes

• User profile image
    Sabot

I have to say reading her comments I can't see anything there thats too controversial.

What are you all getting so upset about?

No point in picking on individual statements.

Anyway Leopards only in Alpha so it all could change.

• User profile image
    staceyw

This is inevitable on all sides.  We are at a point where human IO and avail tech naturally converges to common solutions to the same problems.  The UI is just a thin candy layer on the OS.  You need to look at the whole OS feature set to really get any reasonable comparison.  Vista has so many powerful new systems under the hood it is really more like an ecosystem and just looking at the UI is missing most of the story.

• User profile image
    Custa1200

jamie wrote:
    i was reading the minute by minute transcript at news.com.com.com.com

as each "top ten " feature came in.. i also thought..  pictures on the desktop ... ( what about movies like Ult Xtras do? seen that... got that...)

i read MJ pretty much everyday... i hope she doesnt become a target of any macinistas that will paint her VW lime green

edit: quick poll: is MJ a 9girl ?

yes

There are any number of free apllications that can do this.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert
  • User profile image
    Cyonix

I have a new found respect for Mary Jo Foley. Good blog post that i agree with.

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

I also heard people can look at clouds and see animals and faces in them.

• User profile image
    Ray6

... and so it continues.

There must be some sort of mathematical formula for calculating whether it is worth writing a pro-Mac article or one that makes the barest hint of criticism.

I mean supporting the Mac and rubbishing Vista will get the fanboys over to your site to chiming in to agree with you.

But if criticising the Mac will get you more hits, then it's got to be worth thinking about ....

• User profile image
    Ray6

Favourite response so far:

irate Mac fan wrote:

Please Retract This

You just made ZDNet look like it has incompetent journalists. Yes, you've made the entire company look bad. Please retract this post, do some research, and then post an apology. I'm waiting.

Good grief, I don't think I've seen folk this angry since someone claimed that Macos8 may not be quite as stable as Windows NT.

• User profile image
    Tensor

Ray6 wrote:
    ... and so it continues.

There must be some sort of mathematical formula for calculating whether it is worth writing a pro-Mac article or one that makes the barest hint of criticism.

I mean supporting the Mac and rubbishing Vista will get the fanboys over to your site to chiming in to agree with you.

But if criticising the Mac will get you more hits, then it's got to be worth thinking about ....

YEah - but she probably has to go to more Mac conferences.
    They'll be waiting. With fruit.

• User profile image
    Ray6

Tensor wrote:

Ray6 wrote:
    ... and so it continues.

YEah - but she probably has to go to more Mac conferences.
    They'll be waiting. With fruit.

By the sounds of some of the replies she's been getting, I think they'll be waiting with semi-automatics.

• User profile image
    Ray6

... it gets worse!

Nut who has lost all sense proportion wrote:

YOU SHOULD BE FIRED

Or do some actual research and try reporting with facts. Have you been living in a Microsoft box for the past 6 years? If you have a gram of integrity let in your clouded  mind you'll retract this article and apologize for slanderous lies or blatant stupidity....
    Do the right thing. Liar.

Blimey ... Expressionless

• User profile image
    Sabot

Does anyone else thinks some of the comments left are pretty immature?

This is the reason I hate OS debates as all these weirds come out from somewhere and start fires!

It must be a man thing?

Anyone picking holes in Leopard would think your destroying the future of the Mac.

In a business where we'll be at  1 billion PC  by 2008, I think there is enough room.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.