Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Things I didn't want to see today

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Massif

So after spending a good six hours trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. (Using prcs instead of sprcs of course... Which differ in some perculiar way I don't understand.)

I finally wrestle with the version control system until I eventually can attempt to merge my code and the changes which someone has made without my knowledge on the branch I thought I was exclusively working on (sigh). And I get this...

sprcs: Choose an action on file `source/q4v/q4v06.cpp' for rule 2: All three files exist and are different in each version.
    Please select(dnmrhvq!?)[m]

I'm assuming d, n, m, r, h, v and q are all options, and that the programmer didn't just have a fit at the keyboard... So that leaves the question of what each of them are, and what I'm supposed to say... I think I'll hazard a guess that q is quit.

Where's the (r)un for the hills option? That's what I want to know.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Please select(dnmrhvq!?)[m]

Reminds me of that search SpectateSwamp did....Perplexed

• User profile image
    Tensor

Careful - if you say his name three times he appears.

• User profile image
    ironichi

What version control system do you use?  I'd like to avoid it.
    I use SourceGear Fortress now.

• User profile image
    Johnny​Awesome

SourceGear Vault is what we run. I love it. I want to say that I love it much more than Perforce, which I used to admin years ago. But I do not know how well Perforce operates with Visual Studio as an IDE plugin now. That is one of my favorite features of Vault.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

Here were my guesses:

[m] means m is the default.
    ? is a command to list a brief explanation of what the options are.

Googling "dnmrhvq" verified my guesses!

From http://www.popies.net/prcs/prcs-tutorial.html:

Please select(dnmrhvq!?)[m] ?
    prcs: Valid options are:
    prcs: d -- Delete working file.
    prcs: n -- Do nothing.
    prcs: m -- Merge selected and working file.
    prcs: r -- Replace working file with selected file.
    prcs: h -- Explain this condition.
    prcs: v -- View diffs.
    prcs: q -- Fail and abort PRCS.
    prcs: ! -- Take the default and do not offer this query again.

Sometimes you wonder why they even bother listing the commands.  It's totally cryptic for the newbie and the occasional user. I suppose that it's just enough of a memory hint for a power user to figure out what to do.  Having anything other than the prompt is just noise to an expert user.

• User profile image
    Massif

Yeah, I found that not the best help system though.

Selecting V is good because you then get a whole bunch of other options.

It's calld PRCS the version control, and should probably be avoided, I can find nothing to recommend it.

After all that it would appear that someone has finished my job for me while I was on holiday and not told me, so my last two days have been comletely wasted.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.