Coffeehouse Thread

83 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How long will Windows last?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Kristina

How long do you think Windows will last until it is overcome by another operating system as market leader?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

20 years, tops.

Ubuntu is emerging as the dominant Linux distribution, and who knows... maybe Apple will market OSX for desktops (but with a lucrative markup, no less)

Especially with cross-platform frameworks like CrossOverOffice, WINE, Cedega, Cygwin, WSU, and Cider become popular, your OS won't matter at all. This is shown on UNIX-like OSes were software is largely portable between Linux, BSD, Solaris, and OSX.

• User profile image
    Kristina

I'm just sick of the Windows only world. Everywhere you go, it's Windows, Windows here, Windows there, if your lucky someone will be using some Apple computer. It reminds me of Soviet Russia where everything is the same. There needs to be some kind of change.

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

Windows will be around until someone comes up with something better, I say 20 to 40 years.

Here's the way I see it, Windows, Linux, Mac, they're all a good start, but none of them is the future of computing. That hasnt been invented yet- Well, at least MS Research hasnt announced the Future-OS yet.

• User profile image
    eagle

When will another software company invest billions to create an OS?

How long will Kristina last?

What was his C9 username yeaterday?

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Will the future be an operating system?

• User profile image
    Kristina

eagle wrote:
    When will another software company invest billions to create an OS?

How long will Kristina last?

What was his C9 username yeaterday?

Actually I've been lurking around this website for quite awhile, I just recently made a username. Smiley And it's "her", not "he". Smiley

• User profile image
    anand.t

Kristina wrote:

Actually I've been lurking around this website for quite awhile, I just recently made a username. And it's "her", not "he".

A nerd girl Smiley

• User profile image
    anand.t

Kristina wrote:
    I'm just sick of the Windows only world. Everywhere you go, it's Windows, Windows here, Windows there, if your lucky someone will be using some Apple computer. It reminds me of Soviet Russia where everything is the same. There needs to be some kind of change.

I thought Macs where like soviet russia forcing you to use one OS and hardware manufacturer and priced ridiculously. Btw no one is forcing you to use windows Smiley

• User profile image
    mstefan

I wouldn't be holding my breath. The only thing I really see unseating Windows is if there's a fundamental paradigm shift in user interface. As long as the focus remains on a document-centric interface that uses the desktop metaphor, then I doubt that Windows will lose its position in the marketplace.

The fact that it's been "Windows here, Windows there" is largely what's been responsible for the huge growth in personal computers. It's a situation where Microsoft's de facto monopoly on the desktop has actually greatly benefited users because there's been one dominant platform for developers to focus on. The alternative would have been like what we've seen (and still see) in the UNIX world where you had a significant number of different systems, all running different flavors of UNIX with different implementations, some of them wildly different than others even if they ran on similar hardware. That's a headache that developers and users just do not need.

I can say from personal experience, having written applications which needed to run on AIX, HP-UX, SunOS, SCO UNIX, Xenix, DG/UX and a few other variants, it was a huge pain in the arse. A quarter of your code was #ifdefs and shims dealing with all of the platform differences. You just don't want to go there.

• User profile image
    eagle

anand.t wrote:
    A nerd girl 

Most likely a transgender Troll.

• User profile image
    Kristina

mstefan wrote:

The fact that it's been "Windows here, Windows there" is largely what's been responsible for the huge growth in personal computers. It's a situation where Microsoft's de facto monopoly on the desktop has actually greatly benefited users because there's been one dominant platform for developers to focus on. The alternative would have been like what we've seen (and still see) in the UNIX world where you had a significant number of different systems, all running different flavors of UNIX with different implementations, some of them wildly different than others even if they ran on similar hardware. That's a headache that developers and users just do not need.

If everyone only wore white clothing they'd be much easier to wash too, but then you lose a very big aspect of human existance in the proccess.

• User profile image
    mstefan

anand.t wrote:
    A nerd girl

Down boy.

Take Uncle Mike's advice: Unless you meet them face to face, always assume that the person on the other end of the keyboard is a 45 year old male with pattern baldness who struggles with issues related to personal hygiene.

It can save you from those embarassing moments later on.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

mVPstar wrote:
    Will the future be an operating system?

You need some kind of OS for hardware, no way out of that.

I know you're hinting at the future of web-applications, but they're really not good for much besides trivial "office-y" tasks. There's only so much you can do with XHTML and Javascript.

And before anyone adds anything about "but you could write a 3D game applet that ran inside the browser": the browser is just hosting the application, the game is its own executable code, making graphics API calls.

No, the way I see it, the concept of web-apps for major products will be limited to distribution of binaries, "basics" productivity webapps (like Hotmail, Google Office, and Social Networking), and documents.

• User profile image
    eagle

Kristina wrote:
    I just recently made a username.

An hour ago, could be your third username today.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

mstefan wrote:
    I can say from personal experience, having written applications which needed to run on AIX, HP-UX, SunOS, SCO UNIX, Xenix, DG/UX and a few other variants, it was a huge pain in the arse. A quarter of your code was #ifdefs and shims dealing with all of the platform differences. You just don't want to go there.

If you were writing in Python or used a system abstraction library in C/C++ (of which countless numbers exist) you wouldn't have this problem.

• User profile image
    mstefan

Kristina wrote:
    If everyone only wore white clothing they'd be much easier to wash too, but then you lose a very big aspect of human existance in the proccess.

Actually I think it would be more difficult to wash, but I get your point. However, it largely depends on how you think of computers. Are they simply tools, or are they a means of personal expression of your individuality. For myself, they fall on the "tool" side of the fence. In other words, I don't see my computer as a reflection of my personality. In that context, uniqueness is a liability, not an asset.

• User profile image
    mstefan

W3bbo wrote:
    If you were writing in Python or used a system abstraction library in C/C++ (of which countless numbers exist) you wouldn't have this problem.

Not everyone writes word processors for a living. In my particular case, that simply wasn't an option. Heck, Python didn't even exist (at least in any general release state) when I first started working on that project in the late 1980s.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.