Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

VS2005 on Vista - problems :(

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    phreaks

I can't get VS.NET 2005 to function properly on Vista.

I have installed SP1 and the Vista patch... but I still have issues.

I have set Visual Studio and Devenv.exe to both run in Administrator mode through the compatability tab in properties.

Yet, whenever I try to start Visual Studio I receive a message saying VS.NET 2005 should be run as an Administrator. WTF?

Devenv.exe properties

Visual Studio Properties

Message that appears when Itry to run VS.NET 2005

Does anyone know what's going on here and how to resolve it?

• User profile image
    ironichi

Uncheck the "Always show this message" box and click Continue.
    They just want to make sure people know to run it in Admin mode.

• User profile image
    phreaks

ironichi wrote:

Oh Jeesh. Thanks!

You wouldn't happen to also know how to set folder properties do you?

Whenever I try to create a new folder on my D: drive, I get a UAC prompt, also, if I try to save a new file to the drive from an application (Photoshop, SqlEdit, etc), I get a msg that says I don't have permissions.

Do I really have to give 'everyone' full control to get this to work properly? I am logged in as an administrator already as there is only 1 account on this pc.

• User profile image
    ironichi

phreaks wrote:

ironichi wrote:

Oh Jeesh. Thanks!

You wouldn't happen to also know how to set folder properties do you?

Whenever I try to create a new folder on my D: drive, I get a UAC prompt, also, if I try to save a new file to the drive from an application (Photoshop, SqlEdit, etc), I get a msg that says I don't have permissions.

Do I really have to give 'everyone' full control to get this to work properly? I am logged in as an administrator already as there is only 1 account on this pc.

Glad it works ok.

It's most likely not security "best practice" but I enable 'Modify' permissions on my root drives for the 'Users' account.  Please don't give 'Everyone' full control, or even modify permissions.  I don't touch the 'Everyone' group.

Although you're logged on as an admin you're not really running as an admin; your general activities are as a plain Jane 'User'.  That's why you're not prompted for the Administrator account password to blow through the UAC prompts (I think).  It's a great security feature for those of us that run under the admin account all the time (we know who we are, and we know that we shouldn't).

• User profile image
    phreaks

ironichi wrote:

Ah Darn. Actually I dont think that worked.

I still get a UAC prompt, telling me "A program needs your permission to continue."  (Devenv.exe)

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

phreaks wrote:

ironichi wrote:

I still get a UAC prompt, telling me "A program needs your permission to continue."  (Devenv.exe)

Obviously, since you've set it to be run elevated, and you'll always have to permit that. Note that in spite of that message, for most things you don't actually need to run VS elevated. My recommendation is to just run it without elevation, and only elevate when you come across something that doesn't work.

• User profile image
    mstefan

Seconded. 99% of the time, there's no need to run Visual Studio with elevated privileges.

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

mstefan wrote:
    Seconded. 99% of the time, there's no need to run Visual Studio with elevated privileges.

Yah, I suppose if you never debug in ASP.NET (through IIS).  Wink

• User profile image
    kettch

HumanCompiler wrote:

mstefan wrote:

Yah, I suppose if you never debug in ASP.NET (through IIS). 

I have to elevate to debug using the built in web server too.

• User profile image
    ironichi

phreaks wrote:

ironichi wrote:

Any icon you see in Vista with the little shield in the corner, and anything you set to run as an admin will generate a UAC prompt.

• User profile image
    AndyC

phreaks wrote:

No, you shouldn't have to. Assigning appropriate permissions for your user account (and not just Administrators) should be sufficient.

The reason most people tend to see this sort of issue is with drives migrated from another system or shared between dual boot configurations. It works fine on XP, because the Administrators group has a well known SID and most users are running as Admin, but once you move to Vista you need to be a bit more careful about setting permissions.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

kettch wrote:

HumanCompiler wrote:

mstefan wrote:

Yah, I suppose if you never debug in ASP.NET (through IIS). 

I have to elevate to debug using the built in web server too.

Weird, that works for me without elevation.

I haven't tried it with IIS, but it makes sense that wouldn't work, since only full Admins have the ability to debug processes running under another account than their own. In fact, with Visual Studio 2003 (before the built in web server) I used to edit machine.config so aspnet_wp.exe would run under my own account so I could debug it despite running as a limited user in XP.

• User profile image
    phreaks

Sven Groot wrote:

phreaks wrote:

ironichi wrote:

Obviously, since you've set it to be run elevated, and you'll always have to permit that. Note that in spite of that message, for most things you don't actually need to run VS elevated. My recommendation is to just run it without elevation, and only elevate when you come across something that doesn't work.

OK, but I am not sure I am understanding you.
    Do you mean to tell me that it is possible to elevate a process or program that is already running?

So I run VS.NET without elevating when prompted at the IDE start-up, then I come across something that needs escalation to function, I can elevate it then without restarting VS.NET? How?

• User profile image
    AndyC

phreaks wrote:

So I run VS.NET without elevating when prompted at the IDE start-up, then I come across something that needs escalation to function, I can elevate it then without restarting VS.NET? How?

No, you can't do that. You'd have to quit and relaunch VS.

However for 99% of tasks you won't need to elevate, so you might want to try it like that and see if it impairs your workflow at all.

• User profile image
    phreaks

AndyC wrote:

phreaks wrote:

No, you can't do that. You'd have to quit and relaunch VS.

However for 99% of tasks you won't need to elevate, so you might want to try it like that and see if it impairs your workflow at all.

OK, thanks.

I'm guessing that any need for pInvoke will need Elevation to compile?

Are there specific 'rules' to adhere to regarding when to run elevated, and when not to?

I Guess I am still really not understanding the process.

Since I check the Run as Administrator checkbox, Visual Studio will be running escalated right?

What is the harm in that?

Could someone craft a URL or take advantage of some exploit to attack/infect my PC?

How would that be possible if IE isn't running with elevated privledges?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.