Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft inks deal with Linspire

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray6
  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

    Ahhh, Ahh.... They're all going to be killed by GPL3!! [6]

    Tongue Out

  • User profile image
    Ray6

    GoddersUK wrote:
    Ahhh, Ahh.... They're all going to be killed by GPL3!!




    Yeah, but if they know GPL3 is going to protect them, why are they all still signing up with Microsoft?


  • User profile image
    mstefan

    I have to imagine that the zealots like corona_coder are having siezures at this point. Particularly with comments like:

    "Just as Steve Jobs announced in 1997 that 'the era of setting this up as a competition between Apple and Microsoft is over,' I too believe it's time for Linux to do the same..."

    Someone better call the paramedics!

  • User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

    Well the GPLv3 may prevent them from distributing GPLv3 software. So that means a working Linux distro with the GNU userland.

    So whats happening here is they get patent protection but arent allowed to ship anything and lose most their customers.

    They'll have to switch to BSD and require that all users get their GPLv3 software from the ports tree.

    Hopefully deals do one thing. They kill off alot of crappy distros so we end up with far less distros to pick from. That will help solve confusion for newbies I believe.

  • User profile image
    mstefan

    It sure seems like GPLv3 is going to balkanize the Linux platform, forcing project forks based on the license. We'll have to see how it plays out, but this could end up being a huge mess for the open source community.

    It's like watching crabs in a barrel.

  • User profile image
    Ray6

    Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    Well the GPLv3 may prevent them from distributing GPLv3 software. So that means a working Linux distro with the GNU userland.

    So whats happening here is they get patent protection but arent allowed to ship anything and lose most their customers.

    They'll have to switch to BSD and require that all users get their GPLv3 software from the ports tree.

    Hopefully deals do one thing. They kill off alot of crappy distros so we end up with far less distros to pick from. That will help solve confusion for newbies I believe.


    I have this feeling that we're all missing something here. These distros obviously know this, and seem to think that it is a worthwhile risk. What exactly are they getting in return?

  • User profile image
    anand.t

    Did you notice they are making live search the default. They should have done it with all the previous agreements. Hopefully live search will give a fight to google .

  • User profile image
    Ray6

    anand.t wrote:
    Did you notice they are making live search the default. They should have done it with all the previous agreements. Hopefully live search will give a fight to google .


    Given the small number of Linux desktop users, I really don't think that it will give Google too many sleepless nights.

  • User profile image
    jamie
  • User profile image
    Ray6

    jamie wrote:


    *Shakes head in disbelief*

    Will someone from the Linux community PLEASE study the Apple business plan?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.