Coffeehouse Thread

35 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Is Apple planning a hostile takeover of the Windows desktop ... ?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray6
  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Hmm, interesting - I wonder what October will bring Smiley

• User profile image
    Massif

Not this methinks, Safari is most likely on windows as people say, so that iPhone apps can be developed.

I'd also assumed they'd hope people would get Safari on their windows machines and go "wow! this is sooo awesome! I must get a mac next time." Which is going to backfire horribly judging by the current quality of safari.

It's hard to see the motivation for apple to customise windows to the extent that it almost looks like OSX, it just erodes the various reasons people choose OSX, at no financial gain to their company. Are you more likely to buy a Mac which comes pre-set with windows? I can't see many people going that way.

• User profile image
    AndyC

So they change the hardware from a custom design to a generic PC, then drop the 'Computers' from 'Apple Computers', then port all their apps and developer frameworks over to Windows.

Remind me again how this indicates anything other than Apple getting out of this market?

• User profile image
    MasterPi

The strategy would work if the rest of the manufacturers were sitting in a bubble this whole time. Regardless of whether it's the OEM version, preinstalling Windows would still raise the price of Macs, would it not? Following that price increase, would people want to purchase more expensive macs when they can get pcs for much cheaper?

Also, Apple would have to make sure that their software works on Windows. It so far looks like they're not good at doing that. Can they change in a year? I don't think so.

Furthermore, if they did this, they'd be giving free money to MS. Every mac sale is a Windows sale. Marketshare wouldn't change so much, nor would Windows sales.

• User profile image
    Randolpho

If he is planning a takeover, he will fail miserably.

If there's one consistent thing about software written by Apple that runs on a Windows PC, it's suckage. Quicktime is the worst offender, with a bloated viewer, a craptacular plugin, a hideously expensive codec, and gobs of intrusive crap that screws up your whole system; but iTunes is a pretty damn close second. Now it looks like Safari sucks just as bad.

No, I'm not too worried.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Randolpho wrote:
    If he is planning a takeover, he will fail miserably.

If there's one consistent thing about software written by Apple that runs on a Windows PC, it's suckage. Quicktime is the worst offender, with a bloated viewer, a craptacular plugin, a hideously expensive codec, and gobs of intrusive crap that screws up your whole system; but iTunes is a pretty damn close second. Now it looks like Safari sucks just as bad.

No, I'm not too worried.

iTunes works extremely well for me on Vista Business. Quicktime has never been a favorite of mine though. And Safari was just released, so of course it's going to suck pretty badly Tongue Out

• User profile image
    AndyC

mVPstar wrote:
    Regardless of whether it's the OEM version, preinstalling Windows would still raise the price of Macs, would it not?

Not if they didn't have to ship/develop/advertise Mac OS X.

• User profile image
    Ray6

AndyC wrote:

mVPstar wrote:
    Regardless of whether it's the OEM version, preinstalling Windows would still raise the price of Macs, would it not?

Not if they didn't have to ship/develop/advertise Mac OS X.

... and all those devices that don't work on a Mac due to a lack of drivers. Problem gone.

Where he gets it wrong is believing that MS would somehow be against it; as long as they pick up the licence fee, do they really care what machines are running their OS?

Here's a thought. Why doesn't Apple bother to make their applications resemble native Windows applications? Perhaps it's part of some future branding scheme.

• User profile image
    Richard.Hein

If you watched D5 where Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were interviewed together it's mentioned that iTunes has about 1/2 a billion desktops installs and that iTunes could be used as the delivery mechanism for Apple on Windows and any other platforms for that matter.  Steve had a wicked grin he quickly suppressed and diverted the questions away from this idea.  Now that's what they are doing.

Apple isn't trying to take over Windows, they are trying to make it irrelevant, because the browser or whatever the link to the web and content and applications are, and that can be iTunes.  With Safari on Windows they are just making sure that they stay relevant and now can innovate on Windows and maybe tempt some Windows users to live inside Safari when doing things inside of iTunes.  Eventually more and more features would be added.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Richard.Hein wrote:
    If you watched D5 where Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were interviewed together it's mentioned that iTunes has about 1/2 a billion desktops installs ...

I also have three unicorns in my backyard.

• User profile image
    Ray6

Richard.Hein wrote:

If you watched D5 where Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were interviewed together it's mentioned that iTunes has about 1/2 a billion desktops installs and that iTunes could be used as the delivery mechanism for Apple on Windows and any other platforms for that matter.  Steve had a wicked grin he quickly suppressed and diverted the questions away
    from this idea.  Now that's what they are doing.

You make it sound as if Gates didn't know it ... Smiley
    It's pretty much what most folk have been preaching for years. The OS is a commodity; all that really counts are the applications and the services.
    MS doesn't mind providing the bottom of the stack, and Apple may be finding that OS development is hard work and damned expensive if you want to do it right.

Richard.Hein wrote:

Apple isn't trying to take over Windows, they are trying to make it irrelevant

The OS always has been irrelevant, MS customers know this, and that's why they don't scream about their favourite OS in forums. For MS it has always been about the applications that the operating system can deliver. Windows is the platform for that delivery, and what this bloke seems to be saying, is that Apple may be thinking along the same lines.

And where does that leave Microsoft?

• User profile image
    Ray6

PaoloM wrote:

Richard.Hein wrote:
    If you watched D5 where Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were interviewed together it's mentioned that iTunes has about 1/2 a billion desktops installs ...

... that does sound a little high, yes.

• User profile image
    Koogle

PaoloM wrote:

Richard.Hein wrote:

hahaha... y'know there is probably close to 1/4 billion desktop uninstallations of itunes aswel Big Smile

as for Apple hostile takeover of the windows desktop.. meh well they aren't doing a good job of it so far...

but its good that they are trying, keeps the competition awake

• User profile image
    Ray6

Koogle wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

Richard.Hein wrote:

hahaha... y'know there is probably close to 1/4 billion desktop uninstallations of itunes aswel

as for Apple hostile takeover of the windows desktop.. meh well they aren't doing a good job of it so far...

but its good that they are trying, keeps the competition awake

... and God knows they need SOMETHING to wake them up.

• User profile image
    Randolpho

jsampsonPC wrote:
    iTunes works extremely well for me on Vista Business. Quicktime has never been a favorite of mine though. And Safari was just released, so of course it's going to suck pretty badly

iTunes works, but it has a really heavy, sluggish UI. Plus it comes with a suite of "helper" services entirely separate from (and yet equally as sucky as) the Quicktime suite.

Somehow, I doubt Safari will improve.

• User profile image
    Island Dog

Apple would be better of letting OSX run on any PC.  Smiley

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

If Apple did that, they wouldnt be able to make a comparision between Macs and PCs at all. Apple would just become another Windows system vendor that has to compete with Dell, HP, Acer, etc. for the same market.

Although I agree that their systems are shameless x86 PCs under the hood, having them run Windows as well is the final blow to their relevence. I think Apple would lose all their loyal fan boys, which are actually important to Apple.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.