Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Computer flaw could imperil space station

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

http://news.com.com/Computer+flaw+could+imperil+space+station/2100-11397_3-6190966.html?tag=nefd.top

"The Russian computers that help keep the International Space Station in orbit were out of commission for the second day, a glitch that could imperil the $100 billion orbiting laboratory if it is not corrected.

The three navigation computers in the Russian section crashed and could not be rebooted. Thruster control was passed to the shuttle Atlantis, which has enough fuel to provide the attitude adjustment service for several days. "

doesnt it run linux?  now that gives new meaning to Crash...

• User profile image
    stevo_

Make it took 7 years for the Y2K bug to get into orbital space?

• User profile image
    Minh
  • User profile image
    stevo_

Maybe they run hacked 360s and they got banned from xbl.

• User profile image
    phreaks

stevo_ wrote:

I believe the Space Station runs LynxOS.

• User profile image
    jamie

i was just making lunch and CNN was on - the space shuttle was shown and the guy says : "we all know what its like when you see the blue screen of death and you want to hit your computer - but now the blue screen of death is in space...etc.

so ... is it Windows that bombed?

if it isnt - ms should put out a release imediately stating - it is not running windows

and if it is windows.. well thats not good...

• User profile image
    phreaks

jamie wrote:
    i was just making lunch and CNN was on - the space shuttle was shown and the guy says : "we all know what its like when you see the blue screen of death and you want to hit your computer - but now the blue screen of death is in space...etc.

so ... is it Windows that bombed?

if it isnt - ms should put out a release imediately stating - it is not running windows

and if it is windows.. well thats not good...

It's definately *NOT* Windows.

I'm pretty sure it's a combination of LynxOS (for the Data Management System) and SGI's Irix (for all the other stuff).
    From what I can make of the issue, it appears as if the issue was with the Lynx systems.

• User profile image
    stevo_

phreaks wrote:

stevo_ wrote:

Oh, wow, thanks - I was wayyy off on that ..

• User profile image
    phreaks

stevo_ wrote:

phreaks wrote:

stevo_ wrote:

Oh, wow, thanks - I was wayyy off on that ..

haha, They should definately have some 360's up there though.

Just don't give them host in Halo 2, the lag / delay would be unbearable for certain.

• User profile image
    jamie

Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Harlequin

jamie wrote:
    Thruster control was passed to the shuttle Atlantis, which has enough fuel to provide the attitude adjustment service for several days

This still amazes me, how their engineers have tons of fallbacks that they can do things like this.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

It seems they think of everything. Well, almost everything. Good that huh.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Harlequin

Wonder if they have those suicide pills like they had in Contact Expressionless

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

They do, they just downplay them a LOT.

I used to want to go to NASA (hence my knowledge of many things spacey), but then changed my mind when I found out how much fun coding is.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Chadk

Rather scary. And they dont seem to have any solution yet.

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

Harlequin wrote:
    Wonder if they have those suicide pills like they had in Contact
    No they wouldnt, they'd just evac on the Shuttle on the docked Soyuz capsule.

• User profile image
    Chadk

Jason Cox wrote:

Harlequin wrote:
    Wonder if they have those suicide pills like they had in Contact
    No they wouldnt, they'd just evac on the Shuttle on the docked Soyuz capsule.

But worst case scenario is that they cant undock the capsule, then suicide pills would come in handy.

• User profile image
    Randolpho

Chadk wrote:
    But worst case scenario is that they cant undock the capsule, then suicide pills would come in handy.

I dunno.... if I was goin' out anyway, I think I'd rather ride it down.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.