Coffeehouse Thread

87 posts

example of bias, but tech bias

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Notice the article doesn't mention Windows or Microsoft, but notice the caption on the picture accompanying the article.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6752853.stm

BBC, btw, I find, is one of the most biased sources of news, both on tech and in politics. Because they don't use flashy graphics and they talk about serious world issues doesn't make them more objective. Funnily on their website a lot of it shows in picture captions.

• User profile image
    Ray6

brian.shapiro wrote:
    Notice the article doesn't mention Windows or Microsoft, but notice the caption on the picture accompanying the article.

BBC, btw, I find, is one of the most biased sources of news, both on tech and in politics. Because they don't use flashy graphics and they talk about serious world issues doesn't make them more objective. Funnily on their website a lot of it shows in picture captions.

I'm not sure that I see the problem. The caption reads that the majority of zombied machines are running Windows, which is hardly surprising, but a fact nonetheless.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Ray6 wrote:

I'm not sure that I see the problem.

No offense Brian but given the image is captioned your initial post seems a little knee-jerk.

There isn't a problem. Too many people are as quick, to slam anything the BBC says, as most Linux zealots are to slam anything that comes out of Microsoft.  It is no different.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

It is pretty much true, due to the volume (that is, the fact that Windows runs everywhere) and the mistake of everyone running as admin in all contexts.  However, all operating systems are open to exploit.  I've seen botnets of *nix boxes, and even those created by amatuers.

• User profile image
    eagle

Rossj wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

I'm not sure that I see the problem.

No offense Brian but given the image is captioned your initial post seems a little knee-jerk.

There isn't a problem. Too many people are as quick, to slam anything the BBC says, as most Linux zealots are to slam anything that comes out of Microsoft.  It is no different.

Please give us a link to an article or story by the BBC with a positive spin on an American event or company.

• User profile image
    Massif

eagle wrote:

Please give us a link to an article or story by the BBC with a positive spin on an American event or company.

First find a positive American event or company Big Smile

(I know, I know I'm stirring.)

• User profile image
    blowdart

eagle wrote:

Stop now; for your own good and everyone's sanity.

• User profile image
    wkempf

Massif wrote:

eagle wrote:

First find a positive American event or company

If you can't say anything nice, it means you're not a nice person.  (Restraining self from telling you off.)

• User profile image
    Massif

wkempf wrote:

If you can't say anything nice, it means you're not a nice person.  (Restraining self from telling you off.)

I know I was causing trouble, but it's a fair point - find an american story that most media has seen positively and we'll see what the BBC have to say to reveal bias.

It's either that or we do a lattitudinal study comparing BBC spin with major american / french / other international news outlet's spin of the same stories to reveal any bias, and I don't have a group of media studies Ph.D. students to do the work for me. Big Smile (Especially as we'd have to find a set of stories reported in all the media which relate to all the countries in the study so as to be sure it's not just anti-foreigner spin.)

Plus, y'know, poking Eagle can be entertaining.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Given that the vast majority of users are windows, its not a fair point that the vast majority of compromised systems are windows, first of all.

There are much worse examples of BBC reporting than this, but this struck me because I saw no mention of Windows in the article, so it looks like the editor added it.

• User profile image
    Jack Poison

Massif wrote:

eagle wrote:

First find a positive American event or company

I am an American.. And find this terribly funny....

• User profile image
    Rossj

eagle wrote:

Okay.

• User profile image
    Ray6

brian.shapiro wrote:
    Given that the vast majority of users are windows, its not a fair point that the vast majority of compromised systems are windows, first of all.

Brian, I understand what you're saying, but the comment is the truth. So you cannot really say that it is an 'unfair' point.

Now here's the thing. If the BBC had done this with Linux or Mac platform, then the user base would have been all them like a bad case of hives.

The fact that the platform can actually stand up to criticism, is why it is still top dog. If the response to every minor complaint about it, was to insult and threaten journalists, then it would be languishing in single digit markets, and deservedly so.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

wtf how long have you been waiting to use the Elgin Marbles reference?

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

brian.shapiro wrote:

It't not really bias, it's fact. You can't call it bias just because you don't like it.

Windows has larger user base --> More effort put into finding exploits

+

More noobs use windows --> Install anything and everything

=

More botnets on windows.

EDIT: And  it's basic mathematical logic that if there are more windows computers there will be a greater number of windows computers on botnets than others.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

eagle wrote:
    Thanks, let's hope this act of international corporation leads by example to the returning of the Elgin Marbles.
    The British Museum don't have a choice about the elgin marbles:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    a legal position that the museum is banned by charter from returning any part of its collection.[5] The latter was tested in the British High Court in May 2005 in relation to (I need to watch my language)-looted Old Master artworks held at the museum; it was ruled that these could not be returned.[6] The judge, Sir Andrew Morritt, ruled that the British Museum Act – which protects the collections for posterity – cannot be overridden by a "moral obligation" to return works known to have been plundered.

• User profile image
    Massif

eagle wrote:

Massif wrote:
     Eagle can be entertaining.

I'm deleted that I can bring a smile to your otherwise drape and dreary life.

The irony is that this actually did bring a smile to my face.

And it's drab, not drape... I had a very perculiar image of my life surrounded by curtains for a second there.

Best typos I've seen all day.

• User profile image
    eagle

GoddersUK wrote:

eagle wrote:
    Thanks, let's hope this act of international corporation leads by example to the returning of the Elgin Marbles.
    The British Museum don't have a choice about the elgin marbles

Does that apply to software piracy as well?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.