Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Win-2K with IIS 5.1 or Win-2K3 with IIS 6.0?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

Smiley Which one is the choice? (in all aspects)

Hardware:
    2GB RAM
    Inter Dual Xeon 2.4 Ghz
    73 GB SCSI

(It will be used as dedicated server in our network)

• User profile image
    grout58

I'd go with windows 2k3, but that really depends on if you already have.  Would you have to buy them or do you already own one?

• User profile image
    hodo

Software, not hardware, should determine what platform you install.  Assuming there are no compatibility issues definately go for W2k3 .  Longhorn is almost out so that would make 2000 Server 2 full revisions behind the currently supported OS.

• User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

grout58 wrote:
    I'd go with windows 2k3, but that really depends on if you already have.  Would you have to buy them or do you already own one?

Smiley Yes, I have to buy the OS and hardware. (I have only these to choice)

• User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

hodo wrote:
    Software, not hardware, should determine what platform you install.  Assuming there are no compatibility issues definately go for W2k3 .  Longhorn is almost out so that would make 2000 Server 2 full revisions behind the currently supported OS.

Smiley Its not about compatibility issus. The hardware is fixed and I have do decive which OS I can choose between these two. Lonhorn.. for sure, now its not my choice... so W-2K or W-2K3, either one I should go with.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Not much of a server guy but when I do have to work on one and the client has 2k3 I breathe a sigh of relief.

My vote is for 2k3. It is one of the best things to ship out of Redmond.

• User profile image
    apwcodemonk​ey

Most definitely would advise Win2K3 with IIS6.0, much more secure and stable platform as opposed to W2K and IIS5.0.

Make sure that your IIS footprint is as small as you require, i.e. don't enable services on it which you're not using. Smiley

• User profile image
    AndyC

Unless you absolutely definitely have a compatability issue that cannot possibly be worked around, go for Server 2003.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.