Coffeehouse Thread

29 posts

Thurrot weighs in ....

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Ray6

Paul Thurrot reckons that MacOSX isn't Apple's primary focus.

Apparently, it's Safari.

• Rossj

Ray6 wrote:
    Paul Thurrot reckons that MacOSX isn't Apple's primary focus.

Apparently, it's Safari.

If Apple think Safari should be their primary focus, then they are screwed.

Fortunately I know for a fact that Apple's primary focus is hardware, backed up by 'easy to use' software, and not trying to take over the Internet.

Thanks for the laugh though ..

• JChung2006

It isn't Safari.  It's iPhone, iPod, iTV, etc.  They've branched out the desktop PC industry and are into consumer electronics.

It wouldn't surprise me if, deep within the bowels of Cupertino, they're working on a video game console.  Let's call it iPlay, iGame, iWhatever.

• AndyC

The writing is on the wall. Developing an OS is just hard work that Apple don't really need to do. Especially not as their focus is rapidly shifting to CE devices (AppleTV, iPhone, iPod etc) that need to work seemlessly with another OS anyway.

• Jack Poison

JChung2006 wrote:

It isn't Safari.  It's iPhone, iPod, iTV, etc.  They've branched out the desktop PC industry and are into consumer electronics.

It wouldn't surprise me if, deep within the bowels of Cupertino, they're working on a video game console.  Let's call it iPlay, iGame, iWhatever.

Agreed, on all accounts.. But, after hearing about the Tiger preview, I think Microsoft should start a new marketing campaign: "Cupertino, Start your photocopiers..."

• jamie

JChung2006 wrote:

iWin?  Wink

• GoddersUK
  • Ray6

AndyC wrote:
    The writing is on the wall. Developing an OS is just hard work that Apple don't really need to do. Especially not as their focus is rapidly shifting to CE devices (AppleTV, iPhone, iPod etc) that need to work seemlessly with another OS anyway.

I agree with that bit; I just think Thurrot is reading a little bit more into this Safari thing.

I'm amazed at folk who believe a web browser is a replacement for an operating system.

For a start, what the hell is the browser going to run on ?

• Ray6

Jack Poison wrote:

JChung2006 wrote:

Agreed, on all accounts.. But, after hearing about the Tiger preview, I think Microsoft should start a new marketing campaign: "Cupertino, Start your photocopiers..."

Yup, the only difference being that Apple would probably make a profit doing it.

• AndyC

Ray6 wrote:

What the hell is the browser going to run on for a start.

Ideally all desktop computers would run the same OS. Then everyone could just focus on the application layer, which is ultimately the only bit that is really important. It's not important which OS that turns out to be, but there is an obvious candidate at this point in time....

• Sabot

Rules to make yourself a successful IR Pundit.

1) Say things that are controversial at least once or twice a month. It keeps the attention on you.

2) Think of a curve-ball statement and get it on your blog as quickly as you can with your random thoughts, doesn't matter if it's bull!

Here are some examples ...

"Microsoft are going to focus on the Xbox and therefore should buy EA"

"Channel 9 should be renamed Channel Live"

"Sony should buy Nvidia"

"Apple goes Blu-Ray"

3) Attend loads of IT events and get your picture taken.

4) Attend loads of IT events and get on the Marketing peoples radar by agreeing with everything they say.

5) Say you have Robert Scoble's mobile number Big Smile

• PaoloM

JChung2006 wrote:

Let's call it Pippin.

• Custa1200

Jack Poison wrote:

JChung2006 wrote:

For what? A lot of what you see and people are saying are interface ripoffs have been in OSX for quite a while. i.e. The window compositing has been around since pre launch of XP. The only thing remotely resembling Windows is CoreAnimation vs WPF and even then is seems like Apple is dogfooding CoreAnimation moreso than MS is dogfooding WPF. There is still plenty MS has to catch up to OS X today and by that I mean Tiger not Leopard.

I enjoy developing under Windows and my day job is 99% in Windows, but I prefer to "live" and use under OS X.

• Custa1200

PaoloM wrote:

Let's call it Pippin.

Now that is going back a LONG time. Expressionless

• Sabot

PaoloM wrote:

JChung2006 wrote:

Let's call it Pippin.

LOL Smiley

• MB

Ray6 wrote:
    I agree with that bit; I just think Thurrot is reading a little bit more into this Safari thing.

I'm amazed at folk who believe a web browser is a replacement for an operating system.

Embedded OS... just like Opera on your Nokia phone etc.

I think that Thurrot partly onto a good point... Apple want to make Safari a ubiquitous interface for all of their devices.

• Custa1200

AndyC wrote:

What a load of poop... So AppleTV and the iPhone run on happy emotions then???

They both have a version of OS X running in them. Where do you people come up with such drivel.

• Custa1200

MB wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

Embedded OS... just like Opera on your Nokia phone etc.

I think that Thurrot partly onto a good point... Apple want to make Safari a ubiquitous interface for all of their devices.

No they don't.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.