Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Nice Flow from Microsoft..

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Jack Poison

As much as I like to bash Microsoft for poor marketing (correctly, in my opinion), I have to give some applause for a nice workflow.

Problem: I was planning on visiting someone today. I got a phone call from this person that they needed me to swing by a mutual friend's house to pick up a car seat for a baby (long story). I didn't know this mutual friend's new address, as they moved a few months ago.

1) I opened Outlook 2007 up. Updated my contact info with the new address.

2) I clicked on the Map icon at the top. It opened up my Web Browser to Local.live.com showing me where it was on the map.

3) I hovered over the address. A pop-up  bubble appeared offering for me to add driving directions. I did this.

4) I instantly got directions. I clicked on a button to "send to Mobile". I entered my phone number (and "save for later")

5) I got an SMS message on my phone almost instantaneously that had the link to the directions.

6) I clicked on the link. About 10 seconds later, directions and all appeared on my phone.

This whole thing took about 45 seconds.

Pretty darn cool.

<BackToNormalRant>

Now, why can't Microsoft make a commercial showing people that they can do this? The general public likely thinks that only MapQuest, Yahoo Maps or Google Maps (double-true.. Smiley ) can do all this.

Make your presence known, Microsoft. Let people know the full functionality of your software!

</BackToNormalRant>

Thanks for letting me rant.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Which brings us back to this thread.

The potential is there, they just never go beyond that potential.

• User profile image
    Ray6

Yes it is quite sad isn't it.

When you believe that you have an unassailable market share, why market?

• User profile image
    Sabot

Microsoft sometimes are there own worst enemy.

Why oh why oh why, don't they should louder about the good stuff that they do, I'm sure it's a question of left-arm/right-arm not knowing what each others doing.

Say for example, SeaDragon, amazing technology which Microsoft have bought and taken it to another level but you have to go looking for it and you have to be a little 'in the know' to know about it's existence.

But on the flip side of the conversation you have IBM who never says anything at all just stick out loads of corp friendly adverts and have loads of corp friendly events, stick out the odd white-paper but no where near anything like MSDN. I think IBM's plan has been stay off the darn radar and this has pretty much worked since the days of the late 80's where pretty much everyone in IT (who didn't work or make money from them) utterly hated them.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Jack Poison wrote:
    2) I clicked on the Map icon at the top. It opened up my Web Browser to Local.live.com showing me where it was on the map.

Of course, this doesn't seem to work for non-US addresses at all (at least not for Dutch addresses). Typical.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Sven Groot wrote:
    Of course, this doesn't seem to work for non-US addresses at all (at least not for Dutch addresses). Typical.

<eagle>But the US is clearly superior so it doesn't really matter.</eagle>

Just kidding. Tongue Out

Couldn't resist.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.