Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

My bad luck

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    webmonkey

I built a new media center PC about 2 weeks ago.

It's taken me until today to finally resolve the sleeping issues and i was just setting it up to give it a good test.

5 minutes after solving the sleep issue, we got struck by lightning and the new computer appears to now be dead, along with my cable modem and router. [C]

• User profile image
    jamie

wah ..wahh   

(* sorry to hear that but the wording made me laugh)

• User profile image
    webmonkey

You have to laugh when something like this happens, i mean what are the chances of it? I was chuckling about once i'd got over the WTF of lightning hitting within a few meters.

Kinda wish it had taken out my monitor and tv too, i need a reason to replace them Tongue Out

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Don't you have fire insurrance?

• User profile image
    webmonkey

Yes it is covered under the home insurance.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

webmonkey wrote:
    5 minutes after solving the sleep issue, we got struck by lightning and the new computer appears to now be dead, along with my cable modem and router.

Sucks to be you. Are you in the North West? It was chucking it down a bit here earlier, and heard/saw a few lightning strikes, but nothing nearby.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

webmonkey wrote:
    Yes it is covered under the home insurance.

Then you should be covered for lightning strikes too?

• User profile image
    Angus

W3bbo wrote:

webmonkey wrote:
    5 minutes after solving the sleep issue, we got struck by lightning and the new computer appears to now be dead, along with my cable modem and router.

Sucks to be you. Are you in the North West? It was chucking it down a bit here earlier, and heard/saw a few lightning strikes, but nothing nearby.

Here in Leeds there was a small amount of lightning. (I was worried because I left my computer on [to go to a Physics exam] and lightning struck as I left the house).

It must be annoying for the original poster.

When I did work experience, one of my colleagues was telling me that he built this computer (for around £2000), and powered it up for the first time. He left the room for about half and hour, and when he came back the whole thing was fried.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    webmonkey

W3bbo wrote:

webmonkey wrote:

In the midlands, quite a lot of flooding according to the news.

It is all covered by insurance so won't cost me anything, i did fear they'd have an "act of god" clause but it seems not.

On further inspection, the system boots with nothing in the pci slots, so the cpu and ram are ok, the motherboard will need replacing.

Haven't been able to test the tv tuner but that may be shot too.

My old pc motherboard may also have been fried, that was off but plugged into the network, hard to test with no network though. I can't get a display to work with it anymore.

My router is definately dead, a new cable modem has been sent out.

My main pc (only 6 months old) boots, but i need to test the network ports and pci slots.

Also have yet to test my wireless access point which was also off but connected to the router.

So it might just be one motherboard and a router, or could be a fair bit more, until i have a network device that I know works I can't test much.

I think I'll swap my surge protected socket for one with a surge protected network port too!

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Everything in our house was switched off during the storms -- because we were in a caravan in South Wales.

Luckily the noise of the torrential rain on the caravan roof drowned out most of the thunder. Expressionless

We got a couple of good days of sunshine too, so it wasn't a complete washout. Smiley

Herbie

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.