Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

almost 1 in 10 cell phone users want iphone

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

    http://news.com.com/Poll+9+percent+of+cell+phone+users+want+iPhone/2100-1041_3-6191395.html?tag=nefd.top

    = 19 million phones

    impressive - gotta admit

    ps - id like one

    edit: saw this too:

    "Microsoft used to be the guy that no device maker wanted to do business with, but "Apple is now the evil empire, and Microsoft is the alternative," he says. "It's the rest of the consumer electronics industry gearing up to meet Apple."

    http://www.thestreet.com/newsanalysis/techsoftware/10362839.html

  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

    Of the people who want an iPhone, what percentage only want it for its gloss and glamour and to be able to say "my phone costs 10 times yours"?

    If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    typemismatch

    there is no "i" in blackberry Tongue Out which is the only phone you need Cool

  • User profile image
    mig

    The problem with the iphone is its lack of a hardware keyboard and lack of 3G, along with MMS and IM.... these are all things that aren't available on the iPhone now...

    While I'm not 100% about the receiving end of MMS, iPhone users won't be able to send MMS messages, instead they'll be sending e-mails with media attachments which is useless for the many people that don't have a phone with e-mail capability.

    I also dislike the fact that while it has a 4GB hard drive it won't be able to take advantage of high speed internet on the phone, but I will concede that they are probably saving that for a vNext and integration with iTunes.

    And finally, I am sure some people will be OK with the software keyboard and others will get used to typing quickly on said keyboard, until I try it I can't pass verdict, but given my experience with software keyboards a hardware keyboard beats it hands down.  But who knows, maybe the iPhone will be a winner there (I highly doubt it).

    P.S. - While I hardly ever use IM on my current smartphone, I do sign on to MSN from time to time and the lack of IM (be it MSN/Y! or AIM) on the iPhone will hurt its sales for some of the people that want the phone but want to be online more.

    In my opinion most of the people that want the iPhone don't really know what the iPhone is lacking and just want it because it's new and shiny.

  • User profile image
    jamie

    see - id never buy an ipod - or a origami - when i could have pics, video, camera, web and phone all in one - with touch screen size for full viewing

    edit: plus i cant see anything small without my glasses... the iphone looks readable

  • User profile image
    jamie

    ps  =

    - i need to replace my phone anyway = say 200$

    - i gave my old RIO to jono  =  if i were to buy an mp3 player 200$

    - i want to get a small camera (not the huge canon SLR i have) = 200$

    so thats 600...


    ..and then of course there's the "ohhh is that an iphone?? factor.... 

    Priceless  Tongue Out

  • User profile image
    jamie

    well..im not going to line up or anything.. all i know is I HATE cell phones.

    the one i have was about 100 bucks.

    when it rang it was a dumb song - so i wanted to change it to a "ring"

    *you know ...like a phone

    no ring.  200 songs and noises no ring.

    2 days later... mazie got it - bit a hole in the lcd

    so now when it boots up - there is an image that looks like .. a broken egg on the screen

    i have used this phone -with the egg.. the only cell phone ive ever had for like 3 years  (its the same age as mazie basically)

    looking at the iphone - that is available through rogers (our carrier) - i got to say its tempting

    i will do research before if i buy one..

    i think my main concern is - if there is no wireless signal - ie; up north - can i still get stuff from the phone to the laptop via cable

    if it does that.. im probably sold  (then again i want to see ratatoullie too so what do i know Wink)

  • User profile image
    stevo_

    I want a bugatti veyron as well, doesn't mean ill save up and buy one..

    People want cool things like this, because its very easy to impulse buy and hide the buyers remorce afterwards. If you ask me - Apples entire product line relies on this 'omg shiny, must buy... ' strategy.

  • User profile image
    jamie

    hmm  in alot of cases id agree.

    but this is a bit ..different?

    *member when we all saw zune for the first time and i posted mocks to make it a tablet/touch screen / music / phone?  then iphone came out months later?

    my point is only - ive always wanted this ... and i really dont like apple - or the glam - but the all in one device - done pretty nicely - is what seems compelling to me

  • User profile image
    MB

    I had a mobile phone, then lost it for ages, then I moved house recently and found it again, so my Nokia 6310 is back in service. It rings, I speak, I hang up... what more do I need ?? I'll only buy another phone if my Nokia breaks or GSM gets switched off. If I have to buy another phone, it would be a Nokia.

    BTW a supplier gave me an iPod Nano. I opened the package, thought, WTF? and threw it into a box somewhere. I've never bothered to go find it, so I guess I'm not part of the iPod demographics either.

  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

    stevo_ wrote:
    I want a bugatti veyron as well, doesn't mean ill save up and buy one..

    People want cool things like this, because its very easy to impulse buy and hide the buyers remorce afterwards. If you ask me - Apples entire product line relies on this 'omg shiny, must buy... ' strategy.


    Nice car.

    BMW 507
    BMW Z9 Grande

    top my list... wait! I can't even drive yet Sad

    If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    I've got a Samsung SGH-A707 (Cingular calls it the Samsung Sync).

    Music?  The Sync will play everything the iPhone can plus WMA and a couple obscure formats.  Only areas the iPhone has an advantage in is that it has more capacity (I think mini-SD cards only go up to 4 GB, but the iPhone goes up to 8) and it can play Apple's protected songs.  I think the iPhone can do video...  but does anyone here actually watch video for any extended time on a 3.5" screen?  I don't want to...

    Web?  I don't want to browse the normal web on anything that easily fits in my pocket anyways.  The screen's too small.  Plus, the iPhone isn't even 3G (using HDSPA), and EDGE really isn't fast enough for real web pages.

    Camera?  My Sync has a 2 megapixel camera...  the iPhone has a 2 megapixel camera.  And they're both going to produce cell-phone quality shots, because there's no flash and the lens is miniscule on both.

    Messaging?  The iPhone doesn't have MMS!!!  That's a big issue right there...  my three year old phone I just got rid of (no camera even) had MMS capabilities!

    And then you get to the price...  $25 with rebate versus $500 with no rebate available?  So what exactly am I getting again?

    The only feature I see that's even remotely compelling is their "Visual Voicemail"...  and even that's not so appealing seeing as I get about one voicemail a month...   (some people actually answer their phone when it rings).  Multitouch is a no-go for me--  I prefer tactile feedback when finding and pressing keys.

    I'm just not seeing the appeal of an iPhone.  I'm thinking it's purely a fashion accessory...  but is that suprising coming out of Apple?  I've already got a phone, which, by my count, has near feature-parity with the iPhone (especially considering they won't allow third-party development of native apps).

  • User profile image
    brichpmr

    CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    I've got a Samsung SGH-A707 (Cingular calls it the Samsung Sync).

    Music?  The Sync will play everything the iPhone can plus WMA and a couple obscure formats.  Only areas the iPhone has an advantage in is that it has more capacity (I think mini-SD cards only go up to 4 GB, but the iPhone goes up to 8) and it can play Apple's protected songs.  I think the iPhone can do video...  but does anyone here actually watch video for any extended time on a 3.5" screen?  I don't want to...

    Web?  I don't want to browse the normal web on anything that easily fits in my pocket anyways.  The screen's too small.  Plus, the iPhone isn't even 3G (using HDSPA), and EDGE really isn't fast enough for real web pages.

    Camera?  My Sync has a 2 megapixel camera...  the iPhone has a 2 megapixel camera.  And they're both going to produce cell-phone quality shots, because there's no flash and the lens is miniscule on both.

    Messaging?  The iPhone doesn't have MMS!!!  That's a big issue right there...  my three year old phone I just got rid of (no camera even) had MMS capabilities!

    And then you get to the price...  $25 with rebate versus $500 with no rebate available?  So what exactly am I getting again?

    The only feature I see that's even remotely compelling is their "Visual Voicemail"...  and even that's not so appealing seeing as I get about one voicemail a month...   (some people actually answer their phone when it rings).  Multitouch is a no-go for me--  I prefer tactile feedback when finding and pressing keys.

    I'm just not seeing the appeal of an iPhone.  I'm thinking it's purely a fashion accessory...  but is that suprising coming out of Apple?  I've already got a phone, which, by my count, has near feature-parity with the iPhone (especially considering they won't allow third-party development of native apps).
    Good....that will free up another iPhone for the reputed millions ready to queue up on June 29.

  • User profile image
    brichpmr

    CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    I've got a Samsung SGH-A707 (Cingular calls it the Samsung Sync).

    Music?  The Sync will play everything the iPhone can plus WMA and a couple obscure formats.  Only areas the iPhone has an advantage in is that it has more capacity (I think mini-SD cards only go up to 4 GB, but the iPhone goes up to 8) and it can play Apple's protected songs.  I think the iPhone can do video...  but does anyone here actually watch video for any extended time on a 3.5" screen?  I don't want to...

    Web?  I don't want to browse the normal web on anything that easily fits in my pocket anyways.  The screen's too small.  Plus, the iPhone isn't even 3G (using HDSPA), and EDGE really isn't fast enough for real web pages.

    Camera?  My Sync has a 2 megapixel camera...  the iPhone has a 2 megapixel camera.  And they're both going to produce cell-phone quality shots, because there's no flash and the lens is miniscule on both.

    Messaging?  The iPhone doesn't have MMS!!!  That's a big issue right there...  my three year old phone I just got rid of (no camera even) had MMS capabilities!

    And then you get to the price...  $25 with rebate versus $500 with no rebate available?  So what exactly am I getting again?

    The only feature I see that's even remotely compelling is their "Visual Voicemail"...  and even that's not so appealing seeing as I get about one voicemail a month...   (some people actually answer their phone when it rings).  Multitouch is a no-go for me--  I prefer tactile feedback when finding and pressing keys.

    I'm just not seeing the appeal of an iPhone.  I'm thinking it's purely a fashion accessory...  but is that suprising coming out of Apple?  I've already got a phone, which, by my count, has near feature-parity with the iPhone (especially considering they won't allow third-party development of native apps).
    Channel 9....pls fix your non-standard forum config....it's piss poor. Good....that will free up another iPhone for the reputed millions ready to queue up on June 29.

  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

    mig wrote:
    I also dislike the fact that while it has a 4GB hard
    it use "flash" memory

    i have an HTC S710 Tongue Out

  • User profile image
    mig

    Ion Todirel wrote:
    
    mig wrote:
    I also dislike the fact that while it has a 4GB hard
    it use "flash" memory

    i have an HTC S710


    Touché, though it doesn't matter much Wink
    I have an HTC Wizard and can't wait until I get the HTC Kaiser around October.

  • User profile image
    Tensor

    mig wrote:
    
    Ion Todirel wrote:
    
    mig wrote:
    I also dislike the fact that while it has a 4GB hard
    it use "flash" memory

    i have an HTC S710


    Touché, though it doesn't matter much
    I have an HTC Wizard and can't wait until I get the HTC Kaiser around October.


    I dropped my Wizard down some stairs and it is now kaput. I'm hoping the Kaiser comes out sooner in the UK as I've currently reverted to my 5 year old nokia. T-mob Germany anounced there would be a Vario III the other day...

  • User profile image
    Massif

    Also it should be noted that 1 in 3 drivers want a sports car, but exactly how many actually go out and buy one when all is said and done?

    I want a hard-drive based mp3 player, a Zoom lens for my DSLR an XBox 360, a Wii and a PS3. But I have none of those things, and I'm unlikely to be buying any in the near future.

    Let's just see how many actually get bought, when compared to a CrappyGenericPhone TM.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.